PFF late-seasons offensive line ranking

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Massie is a middle of the pack RT turning 31.....He will probably get about what he got last year...maybe a little more, but not much.......he is a good enough RT.....

You have a young QB on a team that is expected to be one of the top 6 teams in the League for a chance to win a Superbowl.......experimenting at RT is the last thing you do....and hoping someone can be good enough is not a plan....hope is not a plan.

If the Bears do move on from Massie it better be because they know one of their guys will perform at the level they need or they find a comparable or better player in free agency....

The fan talk about having a guy hopefully "step up" and compete with some nameless draft choice or a scrap heap, proven shitty NFL player is ridiculous....that is how teams get worse.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I always appreciate WindyCity's OL assessments because he used to play the position (I played a speedy receiver that had marginal at best catching ability lol). I also don't want to have a knee-jerk reaction based on the last game and ignore all the good games in the middle. That being said, the tackles did not have a particularly outstanding playoff game vs Philadelphia. That's all I will say about that. It will be nice to have a full off-season under Hiestand, etc. In general, I've always felt like the trenches were the foundation that the entire team rises and falls on, and I feel like the Bears can get better there, either via coaching or potential upgrades.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Massie is a middle of the pack RT turning 31.....He will probably get about what he got last year...maybe a little more, but not much.......he is a good enough RT.....

You have a young QB on a team that is expected to be one of the top 6 teams in the League for a chance to win a Superbowl.......experimenting at RT is the last thing you do....and hoping someone can be good enough is not a plan....hope is not a plan.

If the Bears do move on from Massie it better be because they know one of their guys will perform at the level they need or they find a comparable or better player in free agency....

The fan talk about having a guy hopefully "step up" and compete with some nameless draft choice or a scrap heap, proven shitty NFL player is ridiculous....that is how teams get worse.

It's like they don't remember the Jerry Angelo era...

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dave Wannstedt is the cautionary tale of a coach forcing players in and "hoping they step up"....

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I'm not hoping and suspect they do the right thing, I just think that the staff already know what that is and am entertaining the notion of Massie not being it. You'd almost always like to keep all your starters and add to that but I'm also aware of this teams lack of draft choices and cap space this offseason. We are not keeping everyone. It's simply a matter of whom.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I'm not hoping and suspect they do the right thing, I just think that the staff already know what that is and am entertaining the notion of Massie not being it. You'd almost always like to keep all your starters and add to that but I'm also aware of this teams lack of draft choices and cap space this offseason. We are not keeping everyone. It's simply a matter of whom.

I'd rather keep Massie than Amos or Callahan, TBH.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

I completely agree with that last statement. They have one starter to replace on defense.....probably the most replaceable guy, Amos. Callahan if you count nickel, I think is more important.

On offense they have Massie........You are trying to develop your young QB and get your offensive scheme going to compete with other high powered offenses...I don't think potentially hamstringing you oline is a good start to the year....

I am not claiming Massie is the be all and end all of the RTs, but he was probably good enough and I don't see many options that will improve your team. Saving a few million with Massie means you need to spend that elsewhere and get better production. Probably means retaining Amos and Callahan instead of one or the other.....not sure that incremental change on defense is worth the potential huge risk at bombing at RT.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I completely agree with that last statement. They have one starter to replace on defense.....probably the most replaceable guy, Amos. Callahan if you count nickel, I think is more important.

On offense they have Massie........You are trying to develop your young QB and get your offensive scheme going to compete with other high powered offenses...I don't think potentially hamstringing you oline is a good start to the year....

I am not claiming Massie is the be all and end all of the RTs, but he was probably good enough and I don't see many options that will improve your team. Saving a few million with Massie means you need to spend that elsewhere and get better production. Probably means retaining Amos and Callahan instead of one or the other.....not sure that incremental change on defense is worth the potential huge risk at bombing at RT.

Once they bring in Ed Reed to be the secondary coach, they could have Major Wright at SS and still be in good shape. Need to confirm this with msadows, though, as he has his finger on the NFL assistant coach pulse...he was surprised as fuck that Roy Anderson was let go (!), but also said that if Ed Reed came here, Reed's role would have "a major emphasis on the safety position", which is something only an NFL insider would know.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Once they bring in Ed Reed to be the secondary coach, they could have Major Wright at SS and still be in good shape. Need to confirm this with msadows, though, as he has his finger on the NFL assistant coach pulse...he was surprised as fuck that Roy Anderson was let go (!), but also said that if Ed Reed came here, Reed's role would have "a major emphasis on the safety position", which is something only an NFL insider would know.

We could get Miller back next year and make him a RT....he could be the ultimate player coach and be the OC as well.....

I think I've solved the problem.