Gould: I will probably retire a Bear

DBCOOPER

Liked Posts:
If San Francisco franchise tags him, he should sign it and then retire. Yes, San Francisco would hold his rights. However, they would still have to sign another kicker. Once they do that, they would have extra cap room that they likely would use. Then a day before the season starts, he unretires. San Francisco wouldn't be able to afford to claim his rights because they would be out of cap.

Then the Bears know he fake retired and swoop him up! Genius!

That would be such a dick move though.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
If you really care about getting every win you can and you care about the playoffs, you eat the money and bring in a proven, reliable kicker. You only have to eat the money for one year. The cap space is tight in 2019, but with the relative lack of Bears UFAs, should absolutely be doable.

How serious are you about getting the Bears playoff wins and being a Super Bowl team?

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
If Robbie told SF he wouldn't report they'd have to let him walk. Kicker is the one position you can't hold a spot for.

BearDownTexas

Liked Posts:
The Mack trade "was never gonna happen" either... just sayin. :pray:

TL1961

Liked Posts:
If San Francisco franchise tags him, he should sign it and then retire. Yes, San Francisco would hold his rights. However, they would still have to sign another kicker. Once they do that, they would have extra cap room that they likely would use. Then a day before the season starts, he unretires. San Francisco wouldn't be able to afford to claim his rights because they would be out of cap.

Then the Bears know he fake retired and swoop him up! Genius!

Yes, this is pure genius. "Once SF signs an extra kicker, they would have extra cap room." ??

TL1961

Liked Posts:
The Robbie Gould train has left the station. We will need to look elsewhere.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Or he's announcing he plans on retiring a Bear the same way Tillman and Forte did, and perhaps having some fun with the meatballs along the way.
Doubt it.. imagine if say Burton went on the radio talking about how much he loves the eagles and eagles fans and wants to retire an eagle.. you don't think that is going to cause issues in the locker room for the Bears?

Robbie is playing it perfect if he wants to make sure he plays for the Bears.

It's never a good situation to force players to play for teams they don't want to play for.

It's one thing for franchiseing a QB or other high impact player.. but a kicker? Even one that is as good as Robbie I just don't see it happening

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Gould will demand top 3 kicker $. Which would mean if the Bears sign him to what he's going to demand, they will be paying two kickers top 5 $$ in the same season since they still owe Parkey

lol

its not happening fellas
Yeah but couldn't you structure the deal to be back loaded? So first year is cheap, but year 2-whatever is higher

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
The NFL is a business and Robbie knows how to leverage his position. Good for him. At the end of the day he may be franchise tagged by SF but there is probably a one day contract with the Bears in his future to retire a Bear.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah but couldn't you structure the deal to be back loaded? So first year is cheap, but year 2-whatever is higher

Sure, but Parkey was signed for 3 years, not 2.

Either way, you sign Gould and you're still paying two kickers top dollar at the end of the day. not happening.

IMO Bears need to use a 6th or 7th round pick on a kicker AND bring every UFA kicker worth a shit they possibly can into camp.

What pisses me off more than anything about the Gould thing, is after he was signed by SF, he admitted getting cut by the bears was a big awakening for him and made him really look at what was going wrong and work hard to correct it. Basically admitting he was complacent when he was on the bears, even after a bad seasons and a half and it took getting cut to get his shit together.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:

Either way, you sign Gould and you're still paying two kickers top dollar at the end of the day. not happening.

IMO Bears need to use a 6th or 7th round pick on a kicker AND bring every UFA kicker worth a shit they possibly can into camp.

What pisses me off more than anything about the Gould thing, is after he was signed by SF, he admitted getting cut by the bears was a big awakening for him and made him really look at what was going wrong and work hard to correct it. Basically admitting he was complacent when he was on the bears, even after a bad seasons and a half and it took getting cut to get his shit together.
Yeah but it all depends on the guaranteed $$ and I doubt parky had his contact 100% guaranteed.. so year 3 is probably pretty cheap if anything at all after you cut him

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels

It would be nice if all the dumb fucks bitching that we cut him would be privy to this info...

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Can't we give Parkey and his contract to a team with a worse kicker?

And then bring Robbie home?

I saw you mention a Cody Parkey trade in another thread, too. In what fucking world do you think another team takes Parkey off of our hands in a trade? Dude, just stop. Lol.

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I saw you mention a Cody Parkey trade in another thread, too. In what fucking world do you think another team takes Parkey off of our hands in a trade? Dude, just stop. Lol.

Parkey and a 3rd for a seventh? Lol that’s the only way.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Bring him in to sign one of those one day contracts, but then fill it with small print.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

It would be like trading Osweiler.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions

Well I'm told kicking is more psychological than anything else, so maybe we need a new "kicker whisperer" (how hasn't that been a thing yet?)

Maybe if we fake-cut Parkey and then "re-sign" him to multiple years and make him one of the highest paid kickers in the NFL ...