Free Agent Targets for the Bears

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
My #1 priority is Bryce Callahan.

If the Bears are going to be more aggressive and blitz more we need 3 strong CBs and Callahan is good in man and is an excellent blitzer.

I think Amos is a better investment acutally. He's reliable and has been extremely healthy. Callahan, on the other hand, has far too often injured to give a big deal to. I also wonder how Callahan will fair with new coaches/scheme?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd get Massie back on a couple years...I'd rather not turn over the right side to a 1 year converted DT and a career backup.

If money permits, then Callahan or Amos.

If you can sign Hunt cheap then Howard becomes expendable, but I wouldn't get rid of Howard for a subpar backup RB.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think Amos is a better investment acutally. He's reliable and has been extremely healthy. Callahan, on the other hand, has far too often injured to give a big deal to. I also wonder how Callahan will fair with new coaches/scheme?

I am just not as convinced he has the man coverage skills to really thrive in the system. In the Fangio deep 2 he was fine, because not very often was he in coverage.

But the Eagles targeted him when he had to play Man when Jackson was injured.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
I am just not as convinced he has the man coverage skills to really thrive in the system. In the Fangio deep 2 he was fine, because not very often was he in coverage.

None of what you said trumps injury concern though. Also from what I read on Pagano's system and its differences from Fangio, the safeties will not be asked to do much more man coverage but the ILBs might face more man coverage.

I don't know what Pagano thinks he can get from Amos compared to Callahan but I am sure of 2 things:

1) he will be in on meetings regarding needs for the defense and which if either to bring back.
2) No one here knows how much more valuable the other will be to Pagano. Educated suppositions sure but knowledge? Nope.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers

Amos is 2 years younger than Callahan, was in on 5 turnovers this year counting the pop up to Fuller, and unlike the always dinged up Callahan he's been pretty healthy. I'd love to keep both, but keeping that safety tandem in the back is important and there's already ALOT of money tied up in the starting 2 corners.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Amos is 2 years younger than Callahan, was in on 5 turnovers this year counting the pop up to Fuller, and unlike the always dinged up Callahan he's been pretty healthy. I'd love to keep both, but keeping that safety tandem in the back is important and there's already ALOT of money tied up in the starting 2 corners.

All very good points.

I would not be mad if they picked Amos over Callahan.

Although I do think that Deon Bush is more ready for a full time role than I think McManis can hold up in the spot over 16 games.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
All very good points.

Although I do think that Deon Bush is more ready for a full time role than I think McManis can hold up in the spot over 16 games.

Depending on what they're asking for, they both might hit FA. On another note, I'm excited about Tolliver. He's one of the reason LeBlanc got cut to the Eagles.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Was reading last week that Pagano prefers the 3 Safety look over the typical nickle defense. Wonder if that will change the priority from Callahan to Amos.

We would need Jackson, Bush, Amos for that "big nickle" look...
All DC are adjusting to today's Offenses. Don't assume Pagano is going to 'blindly' throw a 3rd Safety out there. We have to cover 3 good WRs today. Who do you want on 3WR Randall Cobb or Jimmy Graham? Callahan or Bush or McManis?

Callahan is no slouch in the tackling game (45), and is a good blitzer. He's a superior coverage DB to Bush or McManis, no question.

Mcmanis filled the role well, im more focused on Amos
I think you're crazy. McManis did a decent job, good backup, but he's no Callahan, he'd be a liability. Keep Amos too.

Good point, one I always reference. I was surprised Callahan went as long as he did, but he's trending up 11, 12 and 13 games, but I think we pay him accordingly. Compared to his superior coverage skills, I don't think the injury issues are extreme enough to discard him.

Try to keep Amos, but we do have Bush and Houston-Carson. My concern is more pass coverage.

This. We'll have to see how things shakeout, like Massie and Long, we may be able to keep Callahan and Amos.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
All DC are adjusting to today's Offenses. Don't assume Pagano is going to 'blindly' throw a 3rd Safety out there. We have to cover 3 good WRs today. Who do you want on 3WR Randall Cobb or Jimmy Graham? Callahan or Bush or McManis?

Callahan is no slouch in the tackling game (45), and is a good blitzer. He's a superior coverage DB to Bush or McManis, no question.

I think you're crazy. McManis did a decent job, good backup, but he's no Callahan, he'd be a liability. Keep Amos too.

Good point, one I always reference. I was surprised Callahan went as long as he did, but he's trending up 11, 12 and 13 games, but I think we pay him accordingly. Compared to his superior coverage skills, I don't think the injury issues are extreme enough to discard him.

Try to keep Amos, but we do have Bush and Houston-Carson. My concern is more pass coverage.

This. We'll have to see how things shakeout, like Massie and Long, we may be able to keep Callahan and Amos.

now that fangio is gone, there aren't going to be any loyalties to wanting to stay with the bears given the unknowns in how they fit in with pagano and his various wrinkles for the defense. the bears could offer callahan an incentive laden deal due to his injury history but for amos again with the uncertainty of how he will be deployed by pagano giving him a long term deal is questionable at best. I dont see the bears giving him anything more than a fair deal, he will def get more money in free agency if he chooses to do so.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
now that fangio is gone, there aren't going to be any loyalties to wanting to stay with the bears given the unknowns in how they fit in with pagano and his various wrinkles for the defense. the bears could offer callahan an incentive laden deal due to his injury history but for amos again with the uncertainty of how he will be deployed by pagano giving him a long term deal is questionable at best. I dont see the bears giving him anything more than a fair deal, he will def get more money in free agency if he chooses to do so.
Are you saying Pagano's use of Amos is in doubt? How so? Amos pretty much does everything, and he's improved on pass coverage so much, he's a priority to me. I can't conceive of a scenario where we wouldn't sign Amos 'long term', or a normal contact. Or were you referring to Callahan?

We can give a fair deal to both. Home-town has an edge, both Callahan & Amos seemed reasonably happy, Pagano shouldn't axe them, but sure, the market decides.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I also want to state that I am not anti-Bobbie Massie.

Dude had a really good year.

Probably too good a year for the Bears to sign him at a number they can afford.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
For what it's worth... here's Brad Briggs take on 2019 cap space and re-signing Bears.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/spor...ey-today-show-kareem-hunt-20190116-story.html

The Bears project to have about $20 million in cap space, a figure that will probably bump up a little bit if (when) the team parts ways with tight end Dion Sims. They’re not going to be anywhere near the top of the league in terms of available cap space, but that’s plenty of room to accomplish what they want to. If they would like to keep all of their pending free agents (nickel cornerback Bryce Callahan, right tackle Bobby Massie, strong safety Adrian Amos and punter Pat O’Donnell are the key ones), they should be able to do that. I don’t expect all four to return, though. They’ve got enough flexibility to make roster improvements and I liked the attitude general manager Ryan Pace had earlier this week.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Are you saying Pagano's use of Amos is in doubt? How so? Amos pretty much does everything, and he's improved on pass coverage so much, he's a priority to me. I can't conceive of a scenario where we wouldn't sign Amos 'long term', or a normal contact. Or were you referring to Callahan?

We can give a fair deal to both. Home-town has an edge, both Callahan & Amos seemed reasonably happy, Pagano shouldn't axe them, but sure, the market decides.

i get the marked improvement from amos in a contract year but i cant pretend to know how pagano will use his SS...If the responsibilities in pass coverage decrease, you can find plenty of run stopping safeties for much less than what amos will likely command/target. If pagano wants more of a coverage safety then maybe they keep amos...maybe pagano see's little drop off from amos to bush...in a perfect world extending amos would be great but cap space is a problem especially when they need to extend whitehair and floyd and fill ~17 roster spots with solid depth not just UDFA's.

its also telling that pace did not approach amos about an extension prior to the season which is what he normally does and did with goldman as well...Now if he did approach amos about a deal, my assumption is amos squashed it rather quickly knowing he could likely get better value in free agency. Amos seemed reasonably happy but now his secondary coach is gone and his defensive coordinator is gone. Maybe nagy and this culture he's instilled is enough for amos to give the bears a hometown discount but who knows...

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
All very good points.

I also wouldn't be mad at keeping either one of Amos or Callahan but think at least one has to be kept for sure and i know i didn't see much talk about him in his games he played for E.Jackson but i thought D.Bush made some good plays in those games and had a few big tackles in each game even the playoff game against the Eagles he made a really good tackle that i think stopped them from getting a 1st down on a 3rd down. I love Callahan and how hes' grown as a NB but the injury issue is in fact an issue.

https://email.fansided.com/c/eJx1Tk...O_T48_a8nCvFORadU2OYYKIRI3ZuKU_GMy77Xlr_eH1ov

With the Chicago Bears fully entered into 2019 offseason mode, we take a look at all 20 players who are due to become free agents.
I’m not going to sell you a certain feeling or narrative like some media outlets. If you are a Chicago Bears fan, the truth is, it still hurts. Heck, Aaron Rodgers to Randall Cobb still hurts.

This one might hurt longer, but it might not. These Bears will be back, and what they do in 2019 could erase the pain much quicker. It’s tough as a fan, after such a devastating loss, to move on to next season in such a short matter of time.

So, here is your permission: Let that pain soak for a while. Fans are allowed to cope for as long as they need, right? But, in the mean time, it is perfectly fine to look ahead.

With that said, let’s do it.

The Bears have a decent amount of players who will be a free agent, in some shape or form, this offseason. Fortunately, almost all of their young core is under contract for at least another two years.

But, there are some guys who helped contribute to what the Bears did in 2018 that will have decisions made on their future with the team. It might be easy to pick out which ones to let go right off the bat, but others, not so much.

General manager Ryan Pace is going to have to be smart when it comes to his money this offseason, especially with some Pro Bowl talent needing to be paid a couple of years down the road as well.

Which guys stay, and which guys go? Allow me to attempt my first shot at sorting all of this out.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Depending on what they're asking for, they both might hit FA. On another note, I'm excited about Tolliver. He's one of the reason LeBlanc got cut to the Eagles.

Yessir, i'm with you on Tolliver. He did make some bad decisions in the games he played that cost us but looked good enough for a UDFA that you could see that he just might have what it takes to even become a starter down the road and maybe take over for Prince in a couple of years. He's got great length as well. He could be another very nice UDFA find by R.Pace.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

I'm thinking both Callahan and Amos are gonna be right around the 3-4 year contract worth anywhere from $6 to $8 mil per. I think we might be able to get Amos at $6 mil per and Callahan a little more like $7 mil per. So if we can't afford both then Pace and Nagy need to bring Pagano into the conversation and see which one he thinks is more important to the defense he's gonna run.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
i get the marked improvement from amos in a contract year but i cant pretend to know how pagano will use his SS...If the responsibilities in pass coverage decrease, you can find plenty of run stopping safeties for much less than what amos will likely command/target. If pagano wants more of a coverage safety then maybe they keep amos...maybe pagano see's little drop off from amos to bush...in a perfect world extending amos would be great but cap space is a problem especially when they need to extend whitehair and floyd and fill ~17 roster spots with solid depth not just UDFA's.

its also telling that pace did not approach amos about an extension prior to the season which is what he normally does and did with goldman as well...Now if he did approach amos about a deal, my assumption is amos squashed it rather quickly knowing he could likely get better value in free agency. Amos seemed reasonably happy but now his secondary coach is gone and his defensive coordinator is gone. Maybe nagy and this culture he's instilled is enough for amos to give the bears a hometown discount but who knows...

I'm sure that both Pagano and Townsend will know exactly how they would plan to use Amos/Callahan, and will be talking with both of them extensively in the next couple weeks.

No one is going to be guessing or assuming in making this decision...

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I would think the best way to replace Parkey would be to either draft a K late or grab one who didn't get drafted. Either way, they would be at or near league minimum and counteract some of the money they are eating with Parkey...it would be hard to find one that would perform worse. You can't sign Gould....combining what they have to pay Parkey and the money paid to Gould is just way too much money shelled out at the K position.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
The only way to keep Amos and Callahan is to heavily backload their deals to keep their cap hits low for a year or two. Megapunt can be replaced by a rookie easily. Massie is likely to cost way too much and it's not smart to invest long-term deals into OL at age 30 unless they are a HOF talent, which Massie is not.