What is the minimum you would accept for Howard?

What is the minimum pick you would accept for Howard?

• 2nd

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • 3rd

Votes: 32 33.0%
  • 4th

Votes: 34 35.1%
  • 5th

Votes: 19 19.6%
  • 6th

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • 7th

Votes: 3 3.1%

• Total voters

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Howard needs a zone blocking system. Nagy wants to run a gap blocking system. Simple as that. He wouldn't be here in 2020 regardless so get something now and replace him with a RB that fits the system better like a Hunt.

We can all wish that Nagy uses Howard properly next year but it is clear Nagy has no desire or intent to do so. Time to move on.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yet Cohen had a 4.5ypc behind the same line.

Posting his last two years stats is pointless, we don’t run the same blocking scheme anymore which is what he excelled under. You ever want an offense comparable to the chiefs or rams? Well Howard’s won’t be part of that offense.
Not worried about having an offense like the Rams or Chiefs... wouldn't mind having the Chief's QB though.

You don't want to give a small guy like that more carries and his ypc isn't telling cause he'll get a couple big gains here and there and then won't get shit for many carries. Had 5 games with a 2.1 or lower ypc. Fix the line, and let Howard be your feature back.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Not worried about having an offense like the Rams or Chiefs... wouldn't mind having the Chief's QB though.

You don't want to give a small guy like that more carries and his ypc isn't telling cause he'll get a couple big gains here and there and then won't get shit for many carries. Had 5 games with a 2.1 or lower ypc. Fix the line, and let Howard be your feature back.

Has less to do with line and more to do with scheme.

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2019...n-howard-chicago-bears-running-back-playoffs/

Again Howard is a really good square peg in a round hole. He is not suited to a gap scheme and Nagy will never do what it takes to convert fully to a zone scheme. And even if Nagy were so inclined, it would be kind of dumb to change your scheme around for a RB that won't be here in 2020 anyways.

Cohen has a higher YPC in part because he fits a gap scheme better than a zone scheme as the latter requires vision and decisive cuts and Cohen doesn't possess those qualities.

msadows

Liked Posts:

Lol no. As remy said Howard isn’t a fit in this scheme. We aren’t a zone team anymore. You can’t point to his last two years and say he can be a fit for this offense.

Fix the line and then what? If you got the best oline in the league then you’re fucking up even harder having Howard take snaps since he’s one dimensional.

Like I posted above, Howard’s situation has Alfred Morris written all over it

msadows

Liked Posts:

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2019...n-howard-chicago-bears-running-back-playoffs/

Again Howard is a really good square peg in a round hole. He is not suited to a gap scheme and Nagy will never do what it takes to convert fully to a zone scheme. And even if Nagy were so inclined, it would be kind of dumb to change your scheme around for a RB that won't be here in 2020 anyways.

Cohen has a higher YPC in part because he fits a gap scheme better than a zone scheme as the latter requires vision and decisive cuts and Cohen doesn't possess those qualities.

Pretty much, and giving Howard 250+ carries and “hoping” for the best is also not a great way to move this offense forward next year.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:

Get your point but before you undersell Howard, you'd want to have a better plan in place and your still not gonna rely on many carries from Cohen. Gotta admit, I'm kinda intrigued with the idea of bringing in Hunt.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Want a third not going to get it. Might get a 5th.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Get your point but before you undersell Howard, you'd want to have a better plan in place and your still not gonna rely on many carries from Cohen. Gotta admit, I'm kinda intrigued with the idea of bringing in Hunt.

Like I said, I’d rather have spencer ware than Howard’s in this offense, and I think much higher of Howard than ware. Issue is only way Howard fits this offense is if we heavily modify it to his talents, which isn’t what you should ever do.

I’d love hunt, but I don’t think it happens.

My ideal offseason is signing hunt and ware, trading Howard for a 4th and drafting a guard with that pick.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Been saying for awhile that 5th is probably the best you could get.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Would Hunt be expected to serve a suspension with the next team he goes to?

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What is the minimum draft pick you would accept for Howard to trade him in the offseason?

The simple answer is not as much as they would have gotten if they traded him last offseason.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
this forum......

Really loving some of the answers here.....

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Yes, although suspensions can be served while you are unsigned.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
this forum......

Really loving some of the answers here.....

I got a good chuckle out of using Cohen's production as an argument for Howard not being as good. Never mind the fact Cohen runs to the sideline to no fucking end and rarely can commit to a running lane or that he will never be a feature back that gets a ton of carries.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
4th rounder. But what will be interesting is how much Howard will get when he does become a FA.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:

Yes, although suspensions can be served while you are unsigned.
Hunt started a suspension already, the exemption list, while also being let go from KC, he's already served 5 games, unless we count KC's post season games.

His status is almost more like Vick was. He's just out. When he 're-enters', and I'm sure he will, they should count 5 games so far. Have to look at other player instances to gauge how many games more, if any.

If Bears sign him, have to assume he'd miss some games. Bears should draft a Hunt type either way, don't you think?

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
5th feels too light. We used a fifth. He had some GREAT seasons. Just not a good fit for this offense. I'd like to get a 3rd, but I guess minimum—4th. Somebody will do very well with him.

2016: 1313 yards, 6 tds, 29 catches 298 yards
2017: 1120 yards, 9 tds, 23 catches, 125 yards
2018: 935 yard, 9 tds, 20 catches, 145 yards

He's a solid back.

fenderpfunk

Liked Posts:
msadows is correct. While I agree the run blocking needs to improve - and if they did of course you would see an uptick in Howard's numbers but I think what it boils down isn't necessarily an ideal YPC or even an assessment of Howard's ability as a runner - msadows stated the objective truth that scheme wise it isn't a fit. Howard is not a threat as a receiver plain and simple and that fact has enormous impact on a defensive gameplan against the Bears at this point.

No - it's not a guarantee to immediately find a replacement - but an uber conservative approach to risk assessment with personnel isn't going to get you to where you want to be offensively and in general.

I like Howard and think he is a really good back but you can bet your ass that Nagy would take a player who doesn't provide as much certainty for DCs game planning. Not sure if a trade is likely but I would imagine Nagy is hell bent on bringing in more serious competition at the RB position.