onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I love butter & Kyle Long needs to move out of the way for a younger more effective Guard.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
So what you're saying is you're incapable of seeing the logic in putting him on the 53 without activating him? Do you seriously believe they used a roster spot on him for absolutely no reason at all?

Are you talking about Eddie Jackson?

I love it when CCS people lecture others and get all snarky about something of which there is zero data.

This wasn't done on a whim or without reason.

This is pathetic.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Agree - try to restructure

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Whitehair is not that good as a guard and you're underestimating the impact of changing a quarterback's center.

Didn't Whitehair only really play G as a Rookie for a short time?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You say that and yet whitehair's only pro bowl year came at guard...

What year was this? Whitehair has played center since his rookie year as he was at guard for all of camp but then moved to Center when we signed Josh Sitton. I also don't recall him ever making the Pro Bowl beyond being an alternate this year. So what exactly are you talking about?

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
What date would they have to cut him by?

He was cleared to play the Philly game, and most say he wasn't good, avg maybe?. Even with more time from the injury, his age and constant re-injury makes it more likely than not he's moving to avg skill with less games available and not worth 8.5 for 2019.

We talk about restructuring, but would we want more than 1 yr at a time? No. How many mil for 2019 would he be worth? 7 games playing at an avg level? Eating 3 mil cutting him vs what? 1 yr contract for $6 mil? That would equal having Long for 2019 for $3 mil. Is this realistic?

Yeah, people don't really get what "restructuring" entails. It's not a pay cut lol. It usually means converting current cap hits into further cap years.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Yeah, people don't really get what "restructuring" entails. It's not a pay cut lol. It usually means converting current cap hits into further cap years.

In Long's case it would require a significant pay cut. He's due about $18m over the next two years - but only $3m is guaranteed and he's already received that as a signing bonus. They aren't going to spread that $18 over more than 2 years because there's almost no chance that Long will be here past 2020 (and arguable past '19 when his guaranteed $ is gone).

What the Bears would be banking on is that there wouldn't be much of a market for Long and that he'd accept something like $8m/2 years $4gtd rather than test the waters.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
He's just going to be cut. I'm not sure why this is a difficult concept to comprehend.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This was posted in another thread, but thought it fit here too:

What if we are open to bringing in a new Center? Long goes, Daniels and Whitehair at OG, and then Massie, Coward, or a rookie at RT...

So, 3 centers in the middle? Cody has a small ass for G. It's one reason I speculated Center the day he was drafted. Talented guy without optimum length for T or the base for G. He's right where he belongs.

To the OP. Long stays and has the best season in a while. An offseason where he can actually work out will help a lot.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
In Long's case it would require a significant pay cut. He's due about $18m over the next two years - but only $3m is guaranteed and he's already received that as a signing bonus. They aren't going to spread that $18 over more than 2 years because there's almost no chance that Long will be here past 2020 (and arguable past '19 when his guaranteed $ is gone).

What the Bears would be banking on is that there wouldn't be much of a market for Long and that he'd accept something like $8m/2 years $4gtd rather than test the waters.
Love it! Would Long accept $8mil/2yrs, 4 gtd? Bears on the hook for 1 more mil gtd over the $3m we still pay if we cut him now.
I don't think he'd take it, seeing $4mil/yr too low (but he's only playing 8 games these days).

Alternatively, would he take $6mil/1yr (3gtd)? Compared to cutting him, it'd be like paying $3mil for 2019.

Long Games:
2016 = 8
2017 = 10 (9 GS)
2018 = 8

I think chances are very good Long will be with the Bears to start the 2019 season. The best thing he has going for him is he’s entering an offseason healthier than he has been in the last three years. That’s a plus and should allow him to get his body better for the coming season. The problem with replacing Long is that the Bears would create a second hole on their offensive line as right tackle Bobby Massie will be an unrestricted free agent. The Bears are going to evaluate all of their players, but I figure Long will be in good shape when it comes to the roster.