Matt Nagy named Coach of the Year by PFWA

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
same defense and DC was there last year. So the improvement of the team isn't just due to defense.

Had no idea Mack was here last year. Huh.

EDIT: Spartan already did this. I just replied while not finishing whole thread.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
True but 2 things would have me favor Pace.
1) He stole Nagy from Ballard
2) Ballard's McDaniels fiasco

His HC was entirely a late in the day, fall back hire which points more towards luck than skill.

Other than being able to draft 6th, the teams resurgence can mostly be associated with Luck, Andrew luck.

I though Pace nailed his draft but the players Ballard chose weren't available to Pace. Also, the trade for Mack.

The above is exactly why I don't argue these stupid points and who should or should not get Executive of the Year or Coach of the Year.

Everything you said can easily be flipped "against Pace" or "for Ballard":

1) Ballard should not be blamed because McDaniels did another McDaniels thing.
2) Reich looks like fall-back? And still outperformed most rookie coaches while coaching Luck to a great season (unless one argues Luck will always be great no matter the coach and I am unsure he deserves that kind of consideration like Manning had)
3) Ballard picks> Pace picks but you say it doesn't count because Pace wasn't picking the same place so he couldn't demonstrate the same acumen as Ballard because they weren't "available to Pace"
4) Trade for Mack is not really much of a feather in Pace's cap is it? Not as much as it is Gruden thinking the Bears will suck worse than the Packers, Bills, Jets, Niners, who knows how many others?

NOTE: I am not arguing for Ballard nor even really against your case for Pace, but showing how and why I think these are mostly Special person awards although not quite as Special person as Grammys, Oscars, Emmys and the like.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The above is exactly why I don't argue these stupid points and who should or should not get Executive of the Year or Coach of the Year.

Everything you said can easily be flipped "against Pace" or "for Ballard":

1) Ballard should not be blamed because McDaniels did another McDaniels thing.
2) Reich looks like fall-back? And still outperformed most rookie coaches while coaching Luck to a great season (unless one argues Luck will always be great no matter the coach and I am unsure he deserves that kind of consideration like Manning had)
3) Ballard picks> Pace picks but you say it doesn't count because Pace wasn't picking the same place so he couldn't demonstrate the same acumen as Ballard because they weren't "available to Pace"
4) Trade for Mack is not really much of a feather in Pace's cap is it? Not as much as it is Gruden thinking the Bears will suck worse than the Packers, Bills, Jets, Niners, who knows how many others?

NOTE: I am not arguing for Ballard nor even really against your case for Pace, but showing how and why I think these are mostly Special person awards although not quite as Special person as Grammys, Oscars, Emmys and the like.

1) He chose the crazy person and missed out on Nagy.
2)I like Reich but 3rd choice so... and Luck was a huge deal to their success.
3)Picks count for both. I think both drafted extremely well for their slots
4)So Reich is a plus but not Mack? Seems duplicitous, especially since Pace had to barter and cajole for Mack while Ballard picked at leftovers.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Gruden should have been coach of the year...he single-handedly put two teams in the postseason (Bears, Cowboys).

I like the whole McDaniels angle...Colts dodged a huge bullet by having McDaniels pull out. That would have been like James Shields opting out of his White Sox contract. Gruden making Mack available and the Bears having the $$$ to afford him because they don't have any other good players is a huge reason for Pace's success this year. That is very atypical and, sorry, not part of Pace's plan.

That said, Pace's hiring of Nagy was very inspired. I just saw the usual CCS blather from the always-angry BearFanJohn, chiding someone who criticized the Nagy hire last offseason and referenced Nagy's real estate background. WTF? Nobody could have predicted Nagy would be this successful. He had very little coaching experience in general (hence the real estate reference), and for all the play-calling talk he had very little of that, too, and flopped in the postseason. To act as if Nagy was ordained to be a good NFL HC is ridiculous.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
1) He chose the crazy person and missed out on Nagy.
2)I like Reich but 3rd choice so... and Luck was a huge deal to their success.
3)Picks count for both. I think both drafted extremely well for their slots
4)So Reich is a plus but not Mack? Seems duplicitous, especially since Pace had to barter and cajole for Mack while Ballard picked at leftovers.

No. Neither is a "plus". The whole debate is ridiculous imo. My comment was not to take the other side but to show how illogical the reasoning is for either. If someone else pulled a 4-point list that showed why Ballard deserved it and Pace did not, I would find that full of rationalizing and over-simplification to raise the one at the "expense" of the other.

It's like who deserved the Oscar in 1962? Well, 3 of the 6 did amazing and clearly stood out over time. But which ONE though? Some enjoy that nitpicking level of debate; I don't.

If you wonder why I bothered replying, it was because your points do not objectively cement Pace over Ballard for the award.

(I am very sure YOU do not intend it to) but others might take your points and argue further from here, and I was interjecting why I find that to be untrue overall (and vice versa).

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Congrats to Nagy.. But one could easily say his late game decisions directly led to all of the Bears' losses.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
True but 2 things would have me favor Pace.
1) He stole Nagy from Ballard
2) Ballard's McDaniels fiasco

His HC was entirely a late in the day, fall back hire which points more towards luck than skill.

Other than being able to draft 6th, the teams resurgence can mostly be associated with Luck, Andrew luck.

I though Pace nailed his draft but the players Ballard chose weren't available to Pace. Also, the trade for Mack.

The poster asked what he did besides hire Reich and hope his QB came through. The Colts probably had the best draft in the NFL and got two All Pros. Also only Nelson was not available to Pace. Leonard in particular became an an All Pro while Roquan Smith wasn't. And if you want to blame that on the holdout then Pace was responsible for allowing the hold out to drag on.

As for Ebron, he most certainly outperformed Burton so at all the spots Pace and Ballard went head to head, Ballard seemingly came out on top. So again both are deserving and I really don't care who wins but the poster was shortchanging Ballard by excluding his awesome draft and his awesome signing of Ebron.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Congrats to Nagy.. But one could easily say his late game decisions directly led to all of the Bears' losses.

64959600.jpg

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

True. Unlike Reich. ... because he got blown out so bad there could be no direct causal link to a solitary late-game decision that directly led to the loss.

Checkmate, Nagy-lovin homers