Likely Trubisky's Biggest Improvement

KoreanBear

Liked Posts:
Watched KC game last week, Mahomes zip on the ball made me sad, never seen a tight spiral like that...

He is crazy good this year, but to be realistic what are the chances he reproduces again next year at the same level? If he does, good for him and the Chiefs, but I wouldn't bet my money on it... Those left handed throws and other dumb shits he does that are working now will come back to bite him. But then ofcourse he'll have an awesome off season and won't need to do them things no more and become a truly elite QB and make me look like a jealous fool, which I am...

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Brady
Rodgers
Brees
Mahomes
Wilson

To me those are the elite QBs in the NFL, Mitch should be battling to slot in the 6-10 range.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Trading up for a guy whose ceiling in his first full season is 2nd tier is really a **** tier proposition IMO.

But if a guy like Ben Roethlisberger is regarded as "2nd tier", then that would have been a fantastic trade.

Once Jordan Howard stops hindering the offense, Trubisky can then reach 1st tier status.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Trading up for a guy whose ceiling in his first full season is 2nd tier is really a **** tier proposition IMO.

No it isn't.

The 2nd tier is littered with Super Bowls and MVPs. They are just not going to put a team on their backs like those other guys.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
A 2nd tier QB with the 2nd ovr pick is worth it even if you factor in the trade up. You need to have a good QB to have a shot in the NFL and a 2nd tier QB in the NFL is a very good border line great QB in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
He is crazy good this year, but to be realistic what are the chances he reproduces again next year at the same level? If he does, good for him and the Chiefs, but I wouldn't bet my money on it... Those left handed throws and other dumb shits he does that are working now will come back to bite him. But then ofcourse he'll have an awesome off season and won't need to do them things no more and become a truly elite QB and make me look like a jealous fool, which I am...

As if other posters couldn't tell, I don't get impressed or throw praise around loosely.

Mahomes might not have a duplicate season next year....but he took off like a rocket and he ain't looking back. He's going to end up being like Marino, Manning or Elway. I remember people saying the same things about Brady (lucky with Vinatieri) and Warner....like, "they'll come back to earth next year." No - they won't. Neither will Mahomes.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Mahomes might not have a duplicate season next year....but he took off like a rocket and he ain't looking back. He's going to end up being like Marino, Manning or Elway. I remember people saying the same things about Brady (lucky with Vinatieri) and Warner....like, "they'll come back to earth next year." No - they won't. Neither will Mahomes.

I get what you are saying, but what if the Chiefs acquire Jordan Howard to replace Kareem Hunt? Wouldn't that send Mahomes spiraling back to earth?

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
But if a guy like Ben Roethlisberger is regarded as "2nd tier", then that would have been a fantastic trade.

Once Jordan Howard stops hindering the offense, Trubisky can then reach 1st tier status.

Honestly, if PACE can get a BPA at every pick in this coming draft, I don't see why Trubs can't become elite (1st tier) as early as next season.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I get what you are saying, but what if the Chiefs acquire Jordan Howard to replace Kareem Hunt? Wouldn't that send Mahomes spiraling back to earth?

It certainly would hinder him. And the entire offense IMO.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Honestly, if PACE can get a BPA at every pick in this coming draft, I don't see why Trubs can't become elite (1st tier) as early as next season.

True. And that Cody Parkey offset language should give Pace an additional $800,000 to acquire a legit WR2.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
I think with Mitch that "elite" is probably off the table, not that there isn't a chance, but we just have not see that level of consistently game changing play.

I think 2nd tier is 100% on the table and is where he needs to be. I think he needs to be in the conversation with Matt Ryan, Big Ben, Rivers, Goff.

its still premature to place mitch into a category of elite, 2nd tier etc...while technically its year 2 for mitch its really year 1 in my eyes considering who was here prior to supposedly develop him and the situation he is in now which is infinitely better. I'd say after next season you can say with confidence where trubisky falls in terms of tiers...

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:

Considering the wasteland of quarterbacks in the history of the Chicago Bears and considering the wasteland of bust 1st round pick QB's that walked the NFL playing fields, I would gladly settle for a Tier 2 QB of the Roethlisberger/Ryan ilk.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Trubisky's growth was not linear and not always consistently better. However his competition varied so it is not always easy to see a true linear progression in that case.

I am not going to pretend I believe I know enough to say that he for sure won't be elite or he will never be good. No one here is that smart or that knowledgeable to speak in certainties like that. Even pros get their evals wrong. So whatever you think there is still more to come.

What I will say is that I do see the traits in him that really good QBs have. And I saw these traits progress as the year went on.

Pocket presence

Early in the year he looked tentative. You could see he didn't feel the pressure and the game was moving very fast for him. As the year went on he improved dramatically. You could see him move out of the pocket and avoid the rush much more fluidly. The way he was able to avoid people by feeling their presence was one of the biggest changes I saw in him this year.

Extending plays

Mitch always had some ability here and one of the reasons he was drafted. You'd be blind to not see the improvement here and some of the plays he made were absolutely top shelf. If I were an opposing fan and saw some of the things he did on third down it would really piss me off. Again this was an area of improvement as the year went on and directly related to his pocket presence.

Hard count

Mitch was good at this last year. He continued to be good at it. What I'd like to see is Nagy put a piece in there that allows the snap to occur based on a player jumping. I'd also like to see Mitch be able to recognize that and take advantage of the free play.

Shoulder fake

I was waiting to see this happen all year long and we finally got a taste of it in the wild card game. The couple plays he used it helped the Bears score the go ahead TD. I think if Trubisky can do this on a more consistent basis in certain game situations he will piss off a lot of opposing fans and DBs will have to play a little more honestly.

Pre-snap reads

I get some of this but the coaching staff will recognize it more. Based on what Nagy has said he has some work still to get better.

Reading the open receiver

I think this is Trubisky's biggest area of liability. He did get somewhat better, but he will need to improve in this area to take it to the highest level of QB play.

Footwork

It was bad at the beginning of the year but he actually improved in his first three games. And it did get much better as the year went on. He had times where he would regress in spots but there certainly was steady improvement. He just needs to be more consistent.

side note....

Accuracy issues

I am actually not that worried about this. I know he has a tendency to overthrow, but it is typically early in a game and as the game wears on he settles down. I truly think this must be a case of early game jitters and comfort. I think experience takes care of this.

Overall

I absolutely see the traits in him that the best QBs have. In my opinion he has grown significantly but there are areas for improvement. If he can get the pre-snap reads and in play reads need to improve. I do not know his ceiling, but I am confident he has not reached it yet.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:

In the world of CCS arguments, yes - yes it would.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Trubisky is a very odd QB, IMO. He does all the little things that help you win, but his biggest liability is simply 'throwing the football'.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Considering the wasteland of quarterbacks in the history of the Chicago Bears and considering the wasteland of bust 1st round pick QB's that walked the NFL playing fields, I would gladly settle for a Tier 2 QB of the Roethlisberger/Ryan ilk.

I'm okay with it but would have rather in retrospect have PACE trade up against himself to grab Mahommes but here we are. Stuck with Trubisky. Hoping and waiting that he can become Phillip Rivers but with some Championships, not just a HoF career.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
As if other posters couldn't tell, I don't get impressed or throw praise around loosely.

As good as Marino was, I'm not sure you are familiar with his career passer rating. If you are saying he'll be like Marino, then this is statistically the best season he'll have. So basically, he won't improve. Interesting. You have knowledge of this right?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MariDa00.htm

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Trubisky is a very odd QB, IMO. He does all the little things that help you win, but his biggest liability is simply 'throwing the football'.

It is frustrating to be sure. I honestly think that it is nerves and initial game comfort level. Those games where he has the overthrow issues it seems to generally correct as the game goes on. It also doesn't happen in every game. Very odd.