Likely Trubisky's Biggest Improvement

Liked Posts:
From NBC Chicago:

“Get the ball off on time” – Trubisky was sacked at a rate approaching 9 percent of the Bears’ pass plays; only one team reached the 2017 playoffs at a rate higher than 6.6 percent. All of the fault did not lie with the offensive line.

Analysis: Trubisky was sacked on 5.24 percent of his pass plays (excluding scrambles and vs. 10.6 percent for Chase Daniel in the latter’s two starts). That would rank No. 6, just behind Kansas City and just ahead of the Rams. Not coincidentally, his release time, per calculations by NextGen stats, improved from 22nd (below Trevor Simian) to 11th (2.65 sec.) and quicker than Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson and others of note.

Sure he has a ways to go but the arrow is certainly pointing up.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Agree. Arrow is up. But expectations should also be up imo. He has to become the franchise guy next year, not a debatable guy like Flacco, Tannehill, Cousins, the type that makes a GM think HARD about whether to spend the $$.

But "the guy" like M. Ryan, Roethlisberger, Rivers, ... the type that makes it a "no-brainer" for a GM to pony up the money later on.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Mitch was 11th in time to throw and that included longer developing plays due to scrambles. Means he was getting rid of the ball faster than average within the pocket. This is on the OL as I have stated elsewhere. Mitch actually helped them look better. The time to throw stat that they point to does include those longer developing scramble/rollouts they chose to not include for their percentages. You know, the ones where he avoided the rush to make the OL look better.

So to recap, his time to throw for all throws was 11th including escapes and rollouts which add significant time. He left the pocket more often than anyone with a faster release time stat etc. My point is Mitch was VG with avoiding the rush this year, made the OL look significantly better than they played and the writer is a hack creating a story.

There's stuff to pick on about Mitch but pocket presence or holding the ball too long? Really? He wasn't as good the 1st few games but that's a small % of the season and has already become one of the best to avoid a rush. Really weird thing to pick on. Only way to get it out faster is to always be in the pocket, have your 1st read open and no pressure.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
The article is stating that "was" his biggest improvement. Not needs to be. He still needs to commit to throws sooner, which hopefully he'll get more comfortable with this offseason.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Honestly, it really doesn't know what it's saying. He needs a better pocket so he can concentrate on reads. It's a waste of ink. The fault absolutely lied on the OL. An example of other QBs that needed to scramble to throw are Watson and Wilson. Their time to throw positions are 30th and 31st. Pointing at Mitch and away from our OL for sack % is ludicrous.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
From my perspective, l'd be worried more about accuracy...I mean, if you're delivering the ball 3 yards off target a few seconds faster???

mp,550x550,matte,ffffff,t.3u4.jpg

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The article is stating that "was" his biggest improvement. Not needs to be. He still needs to commit to throws sooner, which hopefully he'll get more comfortable with this offseason.

But I am not sure pocket presence was his biggest improvement because he pretty much demonstrated that skill right away. But you are right in that committing to throws sooner (downfield reads) would be chief among his to-do list in offseason.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Nothing wrong with his release, he had some good pocket presence, and he threw a lot to his first read. All good.

I think what we will see next year is his ability to go to a second read quicker if his first one is obviously not open.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
From my perspective, l'd be worried more about accuracy...I mean, if you're delivering the ball 3 yards off target a few seconds faster???

mp,550x550,matte,ffffff,t.3u4.jpg

His off target throws seemed purposeful to me in that when he missed, he usually missed wide and out. The precision of his grouped misses suggests a purpose behind the missing (ie "take a shot to keep em honest but dont turn it over") that does not suggest an actual issue with accuracy where he is missing deep here /short there/ inside the receiver/outside the shoulder/ pretty much all over the place over a long period.

What he needs is a touch to the deep ball to shrink his downfield window from a "barn door" to the proverbial window that separates great QBs from decent QBs.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think with Mitch that "elite" is probably off the table, not that there isn't a chance, but we just have not see that level of consistently game changing play.

I think 2nd tier is 100% on the table and is where he needs to be. I think he needs to be in the conversation with Matt Ryan, Big Ben, Rivers, Goff.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think with Mitch that "elite" is probably off the table, not that there isn't a chance, but we just have not see that level of consistently game changing play.

I think 2nd tier is 100% on the table and is where he needs to be. I think he needs to be in the conversation with Matt Ryan, Big Ben, Rivers, Goff.

I agree. But how many tiers do you have? 3, 4 or 5?

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

Trading up for a guy whose ceiling in his first full season is 2nd tier is really a **** tier proposition IMO.

KoreanBear

Liked Posts:
One thing I'm excited about MT is that I think he has a lot more room to grow. I hope accuracy is in that growth because he'd be one scary QB if he can improve just a little bit on that. If he can just hit the WR's in stride... That and going thru his reads.

Hammer

Liked Posts:
Watched KC game last week, Mahomes zip on the ball made me sad, never seen a tight spiral like that...

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Nothing is yet assured nor off the table other than instant gratification. Joke Windy but did you use that handle to describe your inseason emotional vacillations?

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would say 5.
1) elite
2) above average
3) average
4) below average
5) Nathan Peterman level bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, me too. There's only like 3-5 elite guys....then great....then above average....below average....Lamar Jackson/Nathan Peterman.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I would say 5.
1) elite
2) above average
3) average
4) below average
5) Nathan Peterman level bad

What did people see in Peterman, Webb and Dobbs that year? I never got it.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
What did people see in Peterman, Webb and Dobbs that year? I never got it.

They tried to see Brady. To me, taking a QB after the 1st is a waste of a pick unless you’re picking one to develop as a back up and trade away for some picks like the Patriots did with Jimmy G