Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bryant, other MLB players whining about signings

All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by CSF77 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Like I said. Ownership wants a cap. Players would give in if there was a league min in place also. That way these small markets can't profiteer off MLB revenues.
    I also think they'll go to an NBA style of contract length restriction giving re-signing teams the option to sign a player for more years than other teams along with the players reaching FA sooner. Control probably going to go down to 4 years and they eliminate the loophole.

Rookie

They need to adopt an nfl style spending cap and minimum. Team control should be cut shorter with some sort of franchise tag available. Their are tons of solutions out there but the system now clearly isn’t working.

Quote Originally Posted by Castor76 View Post
    I also think they'll go to an NBA style of contract length restriction giving re-signing teams the option to sign a player for more years than other teams along with the players reaching FA sooner. Control probably going to go down to 4 years and they eliminate the loophole.
    It has worked in other sports.

Quote Originally Posted by SchwarberRuth View Post
    They need to adopt an nfl style spending cap and minimum. Team control should be cut shorter with some sort of franchise tag available. Their are tons of solutions out there but the system now clearly isn’t working.
    The strike was all about a cap a d revenue sharing. In the after math a lux tax was implanted.

What I would like is a 100M min and 200 max. Staying inside those you don't endure penalites.

So on the surface the small markets get screwed. Big markets turn better profits and the players have more opertunity with these small markets forced to actually spend vs roll out a 50M budget.

The Pads are on board now with what Theo did. I'm proved the experience which brings in the fans.

This is the thing. Bad teams do not draw fans. There is no incentive to show up. So by nature humans are reward driven. If there is no reward device there is less desire to attend.

Add to it teams should have a sort of local black out function like football does. Keep the freeloaders down.

If all that is in place and teams still can't fund a product then that team should be pushed into a forced sale driven by a party willing to move the team to a stronger market.

Super two was put in place to get the players who were kept down just to save control. Funny how so many people would say how stupid I was to have let KB start the season, the job he earned, right out of spring training. Then players got Arbitration, which probably has Bryant making 12 million more than he would have without forcing the teams to pay up for players doing better than expected.

Now we are looking at getting KB for another year, not because he wants to be here, but because he has to be here. He was playing for his next team as soon as they left him at Iowa his rookie year.

so I say, you want Harper, you can forget about affording Bryant and Rizzo. You want Machado, you can forget about one of Bryant and Rizzo, most probably Javy.

10 grand to these guys is like 100.00 to us. As far as the cap, well, its been in place to just about force every team to have a superstar. That is the whole jist of this deal. MLB is stronger when all teams have someone you want to go watch. You should be able to develop yours and keep them, but there are teams out there that just do not want to keep theirs, like Tampa Bay, Miami, you can almost argue Arizona. Its amazing how what, 30 some people can actually own a professional sports franchise and they cant find 30 that want to pay superstars.
    109 years since the last back to back world titles

In all honesty, almost all of these players, Bryant included, are short sighted when they start talking about this.

I understand the money aspect and the 'respect' that it brings. At the same time guys like Harper and Bryant are throwing away an opportunity to be remembered by fans far beyond their playing days.

Everyone here remembers, and loves Ryne Sandberg. We all remember guys like Ron Santo, Ernie Banks, and Billy Williams. What made these guys so memorable in this city was the fact that they were not only stars, but our stars. For the most part these guys played the vast majority of their careers here and because of that they were household names, and honored members of the team.

Players are much more mercenary these days. That desire to get an extra 15 or 20 million is understandable but 20 years from now these guys will not be remembered as great Cubs, just as guys who played for the Cubs. Bryant has a lot of career left and I don't doubt he will be successful but if he bounces from team to team searching for that bigger better deal then he will be nothing more than a hired bat and not someone thought of as a true member of a team.

It is hard becoming a legend in a town like Chicago but Baez, Bryant, and Rizzo all have a chance to be those kinds of players. They could be the ones that we tell our grandkids about in 20 years.
    A simple truth in life. The worst player on the Chicago Bears is still 10x better at football than 99% of the posters on this board. Including me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12