Hub Unlocked on Mitch, Free Agency, The Pro Bowl and Other Topics...

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Id rather role with Deon Bush and spend the money on Anthony Barr. Put him back at OLB where he should of been his whole career. Gives you the best 3 man rotation at edge rusher with Floyd & Mack.

Plus, you get pro bowl level ILb play in case Trevathon goes down. He's aging anyway, and I dont expect him to have 2 consecutive healthy seasons. Then slide Barr over to ILB if you choose to extend Floyd, and release Trevathan after next season.

We could probably afford A.Barr if we cut Trevathon which wouldn't be the worst idea because A.Barr could play both ILB and OLB so they could make it work to where he plays both spots on certain plays. When Floyd is in he could play ILB next to Roquan and when he isn't they could play Kwiat or Iggy at ILB while Barr is at OLB. I don't really see any reason for that though cause that Trevathon/Roquan duo is one of the best in the league. I'm not even sure A.Barr could do both and just speculating with that idea but i would think he could. I am a big A.Barr fan though.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
We could probably afford A.Barr if we cut Trevathon which wouldn't be the worst idea because A.Barr could play both ILB and OLB so they could make it work to where he plays both spots on certain plays. When Floyd is in he could play ILB next to Roquan and when he isn't they could play Kwiat or Iggy at ILB while Barr is at OLB. I don't really see any reason for that though cause that Trevathon/Roquan duo is one of the best in the league. I'm not even sure A.Barr could do both and just speculating with that idea but i would think he could. I am a big A.Barr fan though.

That's A LOT of cap tied up in your LBs

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
People are going to just have to accept this reality. Now that we are good FA going to be boring for the foreseeable future. We going to be looking at third tier depth free agents and vets that will want to play for a discount to be on a winner

Signing Kareem Hunt and Gould would make for an exciting FA.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
free agency is def going to be boring this offseason, in windy's cap thread, having roughly 10 mill to play with amos and callahan walking away and filling a ton of roster spots is not a good spot to be in...pace has 2 more seasons to get the bears to a superbowl before paying trubisky big bucks. Pace could convert mack's base into a signing bonus and open up roughly 10 mill in space but imo pace gets super aggressive in the draft and moves up for a player he covets...Pace could use the extra 2nd rounder in 2020 from the raiders to move into the end of the 1st or early 2nd rd to snatch a guy he covets.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
free agency is def going to be boring this offseason, in windy's cap thread, having roughly 10 mill to play with amos and callahan walking away and filling a ton of roster spots is not a good spot to be in...pace has 2 more seasons to get the bears to a superbowl before paying trubisky big bucks. Pace could convert mack's base into a signing bonus and open up roughly 10 mill in space but imo pace gets super aggressive in the draft and moves up for a player he covets...Pace could use the extra 2nd rounder in 2020 from the raiders to move into the end of the 1st or early 2nd rd to snatch a guy he covets.

I don't think anyone can say that definitively. Pace is hyper aggressive and knows the clock is ticking before he has to pay Trubisky.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
I don't think anyone can say that definitively. Pace is hyper aggressive and knows the clock is ticking before he has to pay Trubisky.

thats true it may not be boring in free agency but the chances are very slim imo...pace has spent big bucks in free agency one time and thats in 2018 in order to give trubisky weapons on offense. The defense is not lacking for playmakers, thats not to say another playmaker wouldnt be nice but given the cap situation a competent S and a NB would suffice...The offense needs to pick up the slack and the expectation is that they will in year 2 of nagy's scheme...Depth imo is the priority, the bears were very fortunate this year in terms of health. Getting that running game going seems to be the last piece needed.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
Hub and his buddies are giving us a free taste of his work at Pro Football Weekly. It’s an “Ask Hub” segment but I found it interesting because the topics mirror several of the current threads on this forum.

Here’s a sample and Hub’s answer on the Bears in free agency this off-season.

“Who are the Free Agents at safety the Bears might target if they can’t resign Amos? Would they attempt to go after Earl Thomas? Is he a possibility given contract requirements and cap space? Thanks! Submitted By Chris Incapitola

What position do bears target in free agency? Submitted by Wayne Bartosiak

Chris and Wayne, I put you guys together because while your questions are different, my answers will be similar.

Edge rusher and safety are the only positions in free agency this year with a quantity of talent, and while most of the top edge rushers will be tagged, most of the safeties won’t. Adrian Amos improved significantly over the last year and a half and has become a better player than I thought he would, but he is not in the same class as Thomas, Landon Collins, Tyrann Mathieu, Lamarcus Joyner and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, who are all legitimate Pro Bowlers and Collins is the only one likely to be tagged.

I hate to lose Bryce Callahan, but with his injury history, how hard it’s been for him to stay on the field and what top nickels are getting paid these days, I just don’t see how you can give him that money. And with Bobby Massie now signed, the Bears have a real good handle on where they’re at cap wise, and can afford to go after an upgrade at safety. Putting either Mathieu or Clinton-Dix with Eddie Jackson is the one way they can significantly improve what is already the NFL’s most talented defense.

At 30, and with his injury history, I wouldn’t give Thomas the money he wants, but Mathieu, Clinton-Dix or Joyner would all be nice upgrades that shouldn’t break the bank.”

Continued at link...

https://www.profootballweekly.com/2019/01/30/unlocked-chicago-bears-newsletter-sample-ask-hub/a30lbu/
His take on Clinton Dix is awful. I'd rather takea chance on a rookie

Visionman

Liked Posts:

Thats true, but i think Pace can have a "win now" AND a "plan for the future" mentality. I don't think we have to completely mortgage the future to try and win in this next year or two of Trubisky's rookie deals money. If its done right, our window can be much larger than that...

Mitchapalooza

I think Pace might surprise us and make some magic this offseason. Restructures, trades, etc. Managing money tightly.

Look what the Rams did last offseason with not a ton of cap space.

All I want is Gould, Hunt and to re-sign Amos or Callahan. Leaning towards Callahan though.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Did the Bears miss their best chance to win the Super Bowl this season? ... Mitch looked terrible at PB. Submitted by Rodney Williams

Is Trey Burton done as a Bear? Submitted by Andy Lazor

So which CCS posters are Andy Lazor and Rodney Williams?

bufordht

Liked Posts:
It really depends on the type of players Pagano wants. Amos may find a tough market because of the competition at safety, and may decide to stay on the best defense in football for a modest price. That seems like the most likely scenario to me.

Either that or Callahan and Amos walk and their spots are filled with a couple cheap vets and low draft picks. Bush and McManis held their own and Pace could very well find another Amos/Jackson in the draft.

The comp picks from Amos and Callahan could be pretty valuable down the road.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
He sounds like Les Snead.

Les Snead was able to clear a ton of room by cutting or trading guys though.

Player and 2017 cost:
Trumaine Johnson (let walk) 16.7
Tavon Austin 15
Robert Quinn 10.7
Ogletree 5.7
Connor Barwin 3.5

Those guys freed up $50m that they used to make their 2018 moves. Edit: they ate about $11m of that in dead cap, but still $40+ just from those guys.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Les Snead was able to clear a ton of room by cutting or trading guys though.

Player and 2017 cost:
Trumaine Johnson (let walk) 16.7
Tavon Austin 15
Robert Quinn 10.7
Ogletree 5.7
Connor Barwin 3.5

Those guys freed up $50m that they used to make their 2018 moves. Edit: they ate about $11m of that in dead cap, but still $40+ just from those guys.

The point is he aggressively took what was a playoff team and found a way to make it better.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
The point is he aggressively took what was a playoff team and found a way to make it better.

Sure, but he also had far more resources to do that than Pace will have. A top line FA signing this offseason, or multiple second tier FAs as the article suggested, will impact the Bears' ability to resign must-have guys over the next few years: Floyd, Jackson, Whitehair, Cohen, and of course Mitch.

Snead essentially traded some key parts for others and it worked. I'd be fine with Pace trying that, but I don't expect him to leverage the long term financial future of the team for a one or two year push and then a huge financial problem.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Sure, but he also had far more resources to do that than Pace will have. A top line FA signing this offseason, or multiple second tier FAs as the article suggested, will impact the Bears' ability to resign must-have guys over the next few years: Floyd, Jackson, Whitehair, Cohen, and of course Mitch.

Snead essentially traded some key parts for others and it worked. I'd be fine with Pace trying that, but I don't expect him to leverage the long term financial future of the team for a one or two year push and then a huge financial problem.

I don't think Pace has as big a job as the one that faced Snead. If they upgrade Amos, Parkey and find the right solution at NB and RB, the Bears should be in a great spot going into next season.

Keep in mind, this is football. Guys that are considered must signs now can be seriously injured in the interim. The Bears need to maximize their chance to win over the next three years.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I don't think Pace has as big a job as the one that faced Snead. If they upgrade Amos, Parkey and find the right solution at NB and RB, the Bears should be in a great spot going into next season.

Keep in mind, this is football. Guys that are considered must signs now can be seriously injured in the interim. The Bears need to maximize their chance to win over the next three years.

Probably true on the first part, the Bears are pretty close. I just look at the 2020 cap situation and see that overcommiting to long term deals now risks pretty significant issues after next season.