Hub Unlocked on Mitch, Free Agency, The Pro Bowl and Other Topics...

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
That's A LOT of cap tied up in your LBs

It would just be Roquan and A.Barr who would also be playing OLB for us and we'd be without Trevathon's contract.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
It would just be Roquan and A.Barr who would also be playing OLB for us and we'd be without Trevathon's contract.

You’re not including Mack and Floyd. At this point...we need quality depth.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
You’re not including Mack and Floyd. At this point...we need quality depth.

My bad i thought you were talking about ILB's so yeah we would have a lot of money locked up at LB but again taking away Trevathon's deal would obviously help. It was really just fantasy talk from me anyway cause no way do i see us signing A.Barr.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
1. We can't afford to keep Amos so we should sign someone significantly better. That's what I am reading. Are we getting the cheaper because of age? How does this work?

2. Callahan has been very good, but people here don't value him as highly, because of injury history. But we won't be able to afford him, so look elsewhere. The guy we discredit for being out too often will be paid more than we can pay?

The logic on both of these seems flawed.

Logic seems flawed because you missed it.

1. That is not what people are saying. They are saying while Amos improved and is a solid player, his market will probably be high enough that he is not a great value proposition. There are other possibilities that are better players and while more expensive, may also a better value (price per performance). Maybe you disagree, but that is the logic anyway.

2. Not really. People think Callahan is very good and yes injury history does suggest risk. But that probably isn't relevant at all because he will probably be just flat out too expensive and a lot of people have just started to move on.

That is the thinking.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mathieu and HaHa are really not that good. I think I'd take Amos over those two. Collins will be overpriced and not worth the value. LOL at even mentioning Earl Thomas; he's definitely on the backside of his career. Joyner is probably the best Safety who might be available there.

If CHI is going to spend on a Safety, which I think is a dumb idea considering Jackson will be a huge contract coming up, re-signing Amos is probably the safest move.

That said, I'd rather CHI not spend big on a SS and instead sign a younger player with high potential like Anthony Harris from MIN.

Dix IS that good when coaches can get him to play with discipline. Amos is probably more reliable and less risk. But if Dix can learn the system and play within it, he is really good imo.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I really don't think that it's going to be as difficult as some think to replace Amos's production. He didn't really start to come into his own until Jackson arrived, allowing him to switch to SS and have far fewer responsibilities.

That isn't to say it will be easy, Amos did play well and he'll still improve through his next contract. But with all of our starters healthy, he was still the 11th best player on the defense (I'm presuming a 2-4 nickle package). Good teams let replaceable players walk, and earn compensation draft picks. Let's let Amos walk, use a draft pick to compete with Bush and Houston-Carson, and see who plays the best with Jackson.

greg23

Liked Posts:
I'm all for giving Bush a chance to start and either adding a low cost fa vet or high draft pick to compete with him.....but i have zero interest in seeing Houston Carson play defense as he's awful.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
My take is despite low but sufficient cap, Bears are in a good bargaining position with Amos and Callahan.

Callahan -- is elite, other decent FA CB, we have Tolliver, Joseph and McManis.

Amos -- is not elite, other decent FA Safeties, Bears have Bush and Houston-Carson, Jackson will be Bears the expensive Safety.

Priority is clearly Callahan, he's not replaceable, re-signing him keeps Bears elite against the many 3 WR sets we'll face. But he and Amos are happy here, Bears are Superbowl contenders. Bears are in position to make a fair market contract with both. If either ask a crazy amount, Bears are not pressured to overspend.

FG Kicker is PR necessity, but not a cap priority, meaning we can draft, and/or sign min-$2m FA, competition.

RB, G, OLT are not holes to fill, not top cap priorities. We can wait for FA cap casualties and use the draft to fill with whatever shakes out.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Hub just doubled down on the Score regarding his belief that the Bears will look to upgrade the safety position and move on from Amos. He's intrigued by the idea of the Honey Badger on the Bear D teamed with Jackson. I'll be honest, when I watched the Texans last year I was more interested in Watson and Hopkins than their defense. I'm not sure how well he played.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Hub just doubled down on the Score regarding his belief that the Bears will look to upgrade the safety position and move on from Amos. He's intrigued by the idea of the Honey Badger on the Bear D teamed with Jackson. I'll be honest, when I watched the Texans last year I was more interested in Watson and Hopkins than their defense. I'm not sure how well he played.

I thought Mathieu started real hot in his career but had some major injuries and hasn't looked the same. He was quite a playmaker but not necessary a coverage guy. I also don't think the Bears are looking at "upgrading" at Safety as opposed to more not willing to overpay for Amos. That said:

Tyrann Mathieu‏Verified account @Mathieu_Era
Follow Follow @Mathieu_Era

I bet on myself. Man I am a winner!
Stay tuned-

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:

i dont see honey badger coming here...there was prob a good chance he'd come here when it was rumored bowles was going to be the DC...now he is in tampa and they need a leader for that secondary not to mention safety help. He could also remain with the texans who have more than enough cap space to resign him but he didnt have a good year so they might let him walk.