Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He was too focused on the TE Goedert underneath and followed him even though he was not threatening his zone.

I noticed that...Amos was unaware that Mack had him covered. Same kind of thing that got him benched a few years back. Bring on the Bush years.

PFF sees this differently.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Amos just too often plays the reciever and not the ball, he goes for the big hit.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Thanks for posting. A few thoughts:

*I thought the Eagles run from their own endzone that Bush ends up making the tackle was one of the big plays of the game. It should have been an easy safety. There is nowhere for Smallwood to go up the middle and he's actually driven backwards further into the endzone, Floyd isn't blocked at any point in the play, yet Floyd somehow misses the tackle on Smallwood.

*I think this game (and the Dolphins game to a lesser extent) showed how much the Bears DBs are dependent on the pass rush. It could be a problem in 2019 if Pagano's schemes aren't as 'sound' as Fangio's. Roquan Smith, as a LB, reacted to the ball well and was the best coverage defender for the Bears. It was incredible how often the Bears DBs were beaten by TEs/RBs in the passing game. Fangio would put his CB1 (Fuller) on the TE (Ertz)...you'd think that would be a matchup favoring the defense, yet Foles would drop back, get pressured, and loop the ball to Ertz 15 yards downfield for a completion because Fuller is so bad in man-to-man. Someone in another thread said they would rather have Fuller than Stephon Gilmore...gimme a break!

*It really is a shame that Eddie Jackson got hurt, because it was so needless AND his absence in the Eagles game was so glaring. His 'ball skills' are unique in the Bears secondary. Perhaps Fangio could have done things differently on defense if he could just pencil in Jackson on Ertz and move on to other things. That one lob throw from Foles to Tate (IIRC) where 3 Bear defenders are in the area yet nothing happens other than a reception would not have taken place if Jackson were on the field. So, in one sense I think the Eagles game "exposed" the Bears secondary (especially Kyle Fuller and Adrian Amos), but you have to take into account that the Bears themselves weren't operating at full strength in the secondary without Jackson.

*In sum, Mack, Hicks and Smith are really great. Jackson is a great player who was missed. Amos, Fuller and Floyd are 'products of the system'. But I think this was already known.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
*In sum, Mack, Hicks and Smith are really great. Jackson is a great player who was missed. Amos, Fuller and Floyd are 'products of the system'. But I think this was already known.

I think Bush will be fine at SS but there's no replacing Jackson at FS right now. Bush did his job but he's going to be a step down from one of the best. Fuller is more than fine but clearly not great at press. Alshon had his way as well and we didn't answer those quick throws. It's been a recurring nightmare this season. Maybe Pagano can tweak it a bit.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
I think Bush will be fine at SS but there's no replacing Jackson at FS right now. Bush did his job but he's going to be a step down from one of the best. Fuller is more than fine but clearly not great at press. Alshon had his way as well and we didn't answer those quick throws. It's been a recurring nightmare this season. Maybe Pagano can tweak it a bit.

I think Bush is more than one single step down from Jackson.

Below in instinct and below in range. At least two steps right there imo.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I think Bush is more than one single step down from Jackson.

Below in instinct and below in range. At least two steps right there imo.

I don't think he was referring to Bush as a replacement for Jackson, but rather the difference from losing Jackson at FS as opposed to replacing Amos at SS (with Bush).

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Depth is just as important as starters.

Pace will earn his paycheck this year trying to fill 15 plus roster spots with a limited cap.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thanks for posting. A few thoughts:

*I thought the Eagles run from their own endzone that Bush ends up making the tackle was one of the big plays of the game. It should have been an easy safety. There is nowhere for Smallwood to go up the middle and he's actually driven backwards further into the endzone, Floyd isn't blocked at any point in the play, yet Floyd somehow misses the tackle on Smallwood.

*I think this game (and the Dolphins game to a lesser extent) showed how much the Bears DBs are dependent on the pass rush. It could be a problem in 2019 if Pagano's schemes aren't as 'sound' as Fangio's. Roquan Smith, as a LB, reacted to the ball well and was the best coverage defender for the Bears. It was incredible how often the Bears DBs were beaten by TEs/RBs in the passing game. Fangio would put his CB1 (Fuller) on the TE (Ertz)...you'd think that would be a matchup favoring the defense, yet Foles would drop back, get pressured, and loop the ball to Ertz 15 yards downfield for a completion because Fuller is so bad in man-to-man. Someone in another thread said they would rather have Fuller than Stephon Gilmore...gimme a break!

*It really is a shame that Eddie Jackson got hurt, because it was so needless AND his absence in the Eagles game was so glaring. His 'ball skills' are unique in the Bears secondary. Perhaps Fangio could have done things differently on defense if he could just pencil in Jackson on Ertz and move on to other things. That one lob throw from Foles to Tate (IIRC) where 3 Bear defenders are in the area yet nothing happens other than a reception would not have taken place if Jackson were on the field. So, in one sense I think the Eagles game "exposed" the Bears secondary (especially Kyle Fuller and Adrian Amos), but you have to take into account that the Bears themselves weren't operating at full strength in the secondary without Jackson.

It was a tough play for Floyd because the surge from Hicks actually drove Smallwood just out of his reach...

WfScJ8.gif

bearsfootball516

Liked Posts:
It was a tough play for Floyd because the surge from Hicks actually drove Smallwood just out of his reach...

WfScJ8.gif

Yeah, it would have taken a superhuman effort from Floyd to make that tackle once he was engaged.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think this just highlights how much better the O needs to become. The Bears D was gave up 1.8 YPG rushing, 16 points, and got two picks but a few mistakes on a couple of drives and it is a loss. Can't keep relying on the D having to be perfect. The Pats scored 41, and 37 before shitting the bed with 13 but that is a team where each side of the ball picks the other up when needed.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I think this just highlights how much better the O needs to become. The Bears D was gave up 1.8 YPG rushing, 16 points, and got two picks but a few mistakes on a couple of drives and it is a loss. Can't keep relying on the D having to be perfect. The Pats scored 41, and 37 before shitting the bed with 13 but that is a team where each side of the ball picks the other up when needed.

And so the vortex begins...

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Depth is just as important as starters.

Pace will earn his paycheck this year trying to fill 15 plus roster spots with a limited cap.

This is currently where I'm at too.

It's pretty apparent that the starting lineup is strong...depth is where teams win Super Bowls.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
And so the vortex begins...

No vortex at all. I think this may be the best D we have over the next few years as we will continue to lose talent on that side of the ball. So our path to success going forward will rest on the O being able to pick up that slack and get appreciably better.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
No vortex at all. I think this may be the best D we have over the next few years as we will continue to lose talent on that side of the ball. So our path to success going forward will rest on the O being able to pick up that slack and get appreciably better.

I'm fine where the O was at this season. A lot of resources have been spent on the D...so they should have carried the team this year.

The O sustained drives keeping the D fresh this year...and oddly the O also did this in the playoff game....even without establishing the run

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions

LOL at "shitting the bed". What an insult to Wade Philips and the amazing job he did confusing Brady and rotating A. Donald when the Pats had early success running at him confusing line assignments and run directions that would be safe from Donald.

Rams D played fantastic.

Wait, I need my dramamine for incoming vertigo on the vortex... ok I'm ready, teenage ride operator. Vortex is a go.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
LOL at "shitting the bed". What an insult to Wade Philips and the amazing job he did confusing Brady and rotating A. Donald when the Pats had early success running at him confusing line assignments and run directions that would be safe from Donald.

Rams D played fantastic.

Wait, I need my dramamine for incoming vertigo on the vortex... ok I'm ready, teenage ride operator. Vortex is a go.

Ironically...one of the symptoms of the remyvortex is shitting the bed (as well as oily discharge).