OT: Sources: Eagles expected to franchise, trade Nick Foles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Foles has leverage because he can sign the tag immediately whenever Philly applies it.

What? How is that "leverage"? Foles can either sign the tag and be in line for $25M this year, or not sign the tag (like Leveon Bell) and be in line for $0 this year! You and iueyedoc are making this WAY too complicated.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
When the Redskins franchise tagged Cousins the first two times, the "choices" Cousins faced was the same as Leveon Bell...you either choose to earn $24M, or you choose to earn $0. The Redskins couldn't afford to tag Cousins a third time for $34M, and Cousins became a free agent.
What "choices" does Foles "face"?

What? How is that "leverage"? Foles can either sign the tag and be in line for $25M this year, or not sign the tag (like Leveon Bell) and be in line for $0 this year!
So exactly the same situations. Thanks for confirming. Glad you finally get it.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
So exactly the same situations. Thanks for confirming. Glad you finally get it.

You are so lost. You have NO IDEA what is going on. Remember when the Redskins put the franchise tag on Cousins and then traded him to the Vikings? Neither do I! Remember when the Steelers put the franchise tag on Leveon Bell and then traded him? Neither do I! Regardless, in both cases, Cousins and Bell faced several "choices".

fenderpfunk

Liked Posts:
I remember when spartan wanted to trade like 3 first rounders for cousins.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Dolphins were nearly $20m over the cap last year when Landry signed the franchise tender.

The league year started March 14 last year. Landry signed before the official start of the league year on March 8 and was traded March 10 before the league year started. So point was they would have to be under the cap if he signs the tag prior to the league year starting. That would hinder FA moves so likely they would want to move him before then similar to Landry.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports...olphins-jarvis-landry-tag-20180308-story.html

What? How is that "leverage"? Foles can either sign the tag and be in line for $25M this year, or not sign the tag (like Leveon Bell) and be in line for $0 this year! You and iueyedoc are making this WAY too complicated.

The Steelers wanted Bell on the team and had money set aside for that purpose. The point here is that the Eagles don't want to pay Foles 25 million and thus would likely want him off the books by the time the new league starts similar to Landry and the Dolphins above. If not, then that would be 25 million that they couldn't spend on FAs until they moved Foles. So if Foles refuses to negotiate except with teams he actually wants to go to, it could delay the Eagles FA plans.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Couple of things, don't think you are allowed to apply the franchise tag officially until you have the cap space so Philly is 16 million over the cap and franchise tag will be 25 million or so.
Dolphins were nearly $20m over the cap last year when Landry signed the franchise tender.

The league year started March 14 last year. Landry signed before the official start of the league year on March 8 and was traded March 10 before the league year started. So point was they would have to be under the cap if he signs the tag prior to the league year starting.

But that is not what you said.

FFS, you are just wrong. JHC pointed it out. No big deal.

Just say, "thanks, I was wrong," and move on. Why the need to spin it into some "point" to avoid admitting fault in thought. Good God.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
But that is not what you said.

Just say, "thanks, I was wrong," and move on. Why the need to spin it into some "point" to avoid admitting fault in thought. Good God.

I already admitted when I was wrong as dennehy corrected me on the cap number so not sure why I would be opposed to doing so again.

Yeah my bad, didn't notice they were including his option in that number. Yeah they have to be under the cap by March 5 I think it is. The point is they can't officially apply the tag until they clear enough cap space by then.

The reference to March 5 here is with respect to the league year beginning. After the post about Landry, I then looked it up and saw that last year the league year began March 14. So the point was always you have to be under the cap by the start of the league year. I just didn't clearly articulate that in the earlier posts hence why I offered clarification when questioned.

Perhaps you should just ask in future instead of letting your previous beef with me influence you. You guys get so bent out of shape over things a civil conversation would solve.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
The point here is that the Eagles don't want to pay Foles 25 million

Gosh, I never realized that!

and thus would likely want him off the books by the time the new league starts similar to Landry and the Dolphins above.

“by the time the new league starts”…brilliant! I agree, if the Eagles don’t want to pay Foles $25M, then its “likely” they want Foles “off the books”, because if Foles is “on the books”, that means the Eagles have to pay Foles $25M! You and iueyedoc have a talent for stating the obvious, perhaps you should start going to MENSA meetings together.

If not, then that would be 25 million that they couldn't spend on FAs until they moved Foles

So if the Eagles pay Foles $25M and no other NFL team takes Foles’ contract off their hands, then the Eagles can’t turn around and spend that same $25M on free agents? Wow. This is so complicated. No wonder NFL teams hire ‘capologists’.

So if Foles refuses to negotiate except with teams he actually wants to go to, it could delay the Eagles FA plans.

But how is that “leverage” for Foles? His only bargaining chip is calling the Eagles bluff and being willing to play for $25M this year. Although as iueyedoc adroitly pointed out, Foles actually has a choice of either earning $25M or earning $0, so who knows!

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:

So much irony in this posting. The blind leading the blind, and so forth. I think even Kurt Cousins has a better understanding of the franchise tag than you.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Gosh, I never realized that!

“by the time the new league starts”…brilliant! I agree, if the Eagles don’t want to pay Foles $25M, then its “likely” they want Foles “off the books”, because if Foles is “on the books”, that means the Eagles have to pay Foles $25M! You and iueyedoc have a talent for stating the obvious, perhaps you should start going to MENSA meetings together.

So if the Eagles pay Foles $25M and no other NFL team takes Foles’ contract off their hands, then the Eagles can’t turn around and spend that same $25M on free agents? Wow. This is so complicated. No wonder NFL teams hire ‘capologists’.

But how is that “leverage” for Foles? His only bargaining chip is calling the Eagles bluff and being willing to play for $25M this year. Although as iueyedoc adroitly pointed out, Foles actually has a choice of either earning $25M or earning $0, so who knows!

If I'm Foles, I'm taking the 25 million bucks to maybe play or maybe sit, over zero bucks. But to each their own.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
If I'm Foles, I'm taking the 25 million bucks to maybe play or maybe sit, over zero bucks. But to each their own.

True. I have to refer back to what a CCS cap expert once said...

Once tagged, financially, Foles faces the same choices Cousins did,

It all comes down to "financially". Once tagged, Foles faces the same choices (multiple) that Cousins did...do you want to make $25M, or $0?

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
True. I have to refer back to what a CCS cap expert once said...

It all comes down to "financially". Once tagged, Foles faces the same choices (multiple) that Cousins did...do you want to make $25M, or $0?

Still going with 25 million bux, instead of the $0.00 option, but that's just me. We will have to wait and see what Foles decides, financially speaking.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Still going with 25 million bux, instead of the $0.00 option, but that's just me. We will have to wait and see what Foles decides, financially speaking.

I remember back in the early 1980's, the Mexico economy was so bad that it cost you more to transport 25 million pesos than it did to actually have 25 millions pesos...so perhaps Foles will decline the money. I'm sure there are US tax laws and other red tape that make it detrimental to have $25 million.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I remember back in the early 1980's, the Mexico economy was so bad that it cost you more to transport 25 million pesos than it did to actually have 25 millions pesos...so perhaps Foles will decline the money.

There are tax issues and class issues to consider as well. I'm still opting for the millions over nothing, but it probably come down to how I was brought up. I would help a lot of ppl with that cash. Zero dollars just seems like the wrong choice to me.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Classic Rory. Cries about me saying Foles has leverage then says his only "bargaining chip" as if that isn't the same thing as leverage.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Classic Rory. Cries about me saying Foles has leverage then says his only "bargaining chip" as if that isn't the same thing as leverage.

No, you don't get it. The whole purpose of the franchise tag was to limit player mobility ("leverage") and allow teams to retain top players. Your and iueyedoc's repeated claims of "choices" and "leverage" not only are absurd at face value, they also are in direct opposition to what the franchise tag actually is. The incredible thing is that we JUST saw this whole shitshow play out with Leveon Bell, yet you and iueyedoc are seemingly oblivious to this. I never held either of you guys in high regard when it came to "football thoughts", but this is a new low.

Status
Not open for further replies.