OT: Sources: Eagles expected to franchise, trade Nick Foles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
So it says it gives them no leverage unless they refuse to sign. Translation - They have leverage.!

Incredible. I guess the mind-blowing aspect of this is that Foles could actually choose to sign, and then a couple days later say he's retiring! Even by signing, Foles still has all the leverage!

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah..you're done now. "Couldn't find any sports sites that agreed with Rory and I" and I'm just copying and pasting stuff now to make you look dumb.

No you are moving goalposts. You said he has no leverage. You very own articles disprove this by noting situations in which he does have leverage.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/leighs...anchise-tag-thwarts-free-agency/#331c47c65173

"The franchise tag becomes invaluable leverage for a team facing a critical player with free agency looming"

Same damn site you used to try and justify Foles having some leverage. Please tell us more about how Foles is in the drivers seat here.

No one claimed Foles was in drivers seat so this is a strawman. The claim was he has some leverage. Nothing in the above disproves this.

Try again!

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
remy's argument boils down to the player having "leverage" because they signed a tender the team offered them to begin with.

I would imagine he'd also think an inmate on death row has leverage if they allowed him to choose what method he was executed by.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
No one claimed it gave them so much leverage. Another strawman. The claim was they have some leverage. The goalposts are moving more than when Parkey hits the upright.

Try again.

You're done. You claimed you couldn't find any links backing Rory and I. I just provided about 10 from two pages of a Google search. Meanwhile you're sitting here citing an agent. Wow. Imagine that, an agent saying a player has leverage when the players themselves hate the tag because it obliterates their leverage.

Legit :aj:'ing at you over here.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
remy's argument boils down to the player having "leverage" because they signed a tender the team offered them to begin with.

I would imagine he'd also think an inmate on death row has leverage if they allowed him to choose what method he was executed by.

So you're admitting they have SOME leverage. LOL jk :trollbisky:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You're done. You claimed you couldn't find any links backing Rory and I. I just provided about 10 from two pages of a Google search. Meanwhile you're sitting here citing an agent. Wow. Imagine that, an agent saying a player has leverage when the players themselves hate the tag because it obliterates their leverage.

Legit :aj:'ing at you over here.

No I think he has some leverage because as the articles and agent I posted noted, he can refuse to negotiate a long term deal with certain teams and in doing so discourage those teams from making an offer. That by definition is leverage. Sorry that bothers you so much.

You provided zero links that backed you and Rory. You changed your argument to the franchise tag is shitty which no one disputed.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
The claim was they have some leverage.

Why do you keep using the word "leverage"? What are they "leveraging"? That seems to be the issue. I am familiar with the salary cap (can't use money from one player's contract to pay another player)...I am familiar with the franchise tag (player can refuse to sign and earn $0 like Leveon Bell)...these things have been around for YEARS.

I guess I question your understanding of the definition of "leverage".

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:

Not a bad idea even for the unfortunate CCS members who are still reading this thread...

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
No I think he has some leverage because as the articles and agent I posted noted, he can refuse to negotiate a long term deal with certain teams and in doing so discourage those teams from making an offer. That by definition is leverage. Sorry that bothers you so much.

Foles could refuse to negotiate ANY contract length with EVERY team in the NFL. Foles could choose to negotiate a contract with EVERY team in the NFL. Eagles can still apply franchise tag on Foles. Eagles can still choose whether or not to trade Foles, and to whom. Amazing thoughts for being 235 postings into a thread!

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Why do you keep using the word "leverage"? What are they "leveraging"? That seems to be the issue. I am familiar with the salary cap (can't use money from one player's contract to pay another player)...I am familiar with the franchise tag (player can refuse to sign and earn $0 like Leveon Bell)...these things have been around for YEARS.

I guess I question your understanding of the definition of "leverage".

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/leverage

If I refuse to negotiate with the Jags and they respond by refusing to make a trade offer then by definition I have leverage as I influenced them.

Foles could refuse to negotiate ANY contract length with EVERY team in the NFL. Foles could choose to negotiate a contract with EVERY team in the NFL. Eagles can still apply franchise tag on Foles. Eagles can still choose whether or not to trade Foles, and to whom. Amazing thoughts for being 235 postings into a thread!

No the Eagles can't chose who to trade Foles to and to whom. Foles can refuse to sign in which case the Eagles can't trade him. Foles can refuse to negotiate long term with some teams, in which case those teams may no longer want to trade with them. Hence why Foles has some leverage. Fairly simply concept. Every party has some degree of leverage and the situation and negotiating skills of the parties determine how successfully that leverage is applied.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Foles can refuse to sign.

And then Foles makes $0 for 2019.....So that's not leverage.

Foles can refuse to negotiate long term with some teams, in which case those teams may no longer want to trade with them.
But at the end of the day the Eagles will take whatever offer they feel is best....and if Foles doesn't want to sign with anyone he makes $0 in 2019 with no recourse.

CCS is Mel Gibson.

remy is the unseen British soldier.

giphy.gif

Vortex closed. You're done.

Another "L" for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.