CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Don't mean to stir shit but how? How do they seem to be in the best position outside of your opinion? Never mind, the possible regression factor and the infamous sophomore slump for QBs (Year 2 for Mitch in Nagy's system). We haven't gone through the offseason yet. How can you have a good feeling facing GB, DET and MIN without knowing who they will change into over the offseason?
I can't wait to hear the strangled logic answers for these questions.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So the “sophomore” slump up now applies to the second year in a system?

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Ok... You're right. We shouldn't be allowed to have opinions. You're also right about the Bears. They'll be lucky to win a single game with that complete shit show they have going on there.

You are allowed to have an opinion. I am not "right about the Bears" since I have made no claim regarding their growth or regression or whatever value they will end up falling on for that spectrum in 2019.

I asked specifically why you are confident in growth outside of your opinion they seem to have their shit together.

I can "see no reason to believe" the Bears have their shit together while other new arrivals to the playoffs last year failed to return to the playoffs this year did not "have their shit together" for 2018. What is the difference between 2017 Dolphins and 2018 Bears so that I can see why the 2019 Bears will not possibly be the next new playoff team to fail to return to the playoffs?

PS Again, the question does not imply an inverse claim to your hypothesis. For my own opinion, I have not enough evidence to predict growth or regression or anything yet for 2019 at all.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
So the “sophomore” slump up now applies to the second year in a system?

I love the fact you put sophomore in quotes.

QBs slumping happens all the time regardless of Year 2 in the league or Year 2 in a system. Again I am not claiming a slump will happen, only that it can happen and would undermine his "no reason to believe the Bears will not take the next step".

Payton_34

Seattle Bears Fan
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
You are allowed to have an opinion. I am not "right about the Bears" since I have made no claim regarding their growth or regression or whatever value they will end up falling on for that spectrum in 2019.

I asked specifically why you are confident in growth outside of your opinion they seem to have their shit together.

I can "see no reason to believe" the Bears have their shit together while other new arrivals to the playoffs last year failed to return to the playoffs this year did not "have their shit together" for 2018. What is the difference between 2017 Dolphins and 2018 Bears so that I can see why the 2019 Bears will not possibly be the next new playoff team to fail to return to the playoffs?

PS Again, the question does not imply an inverse claim to your hypothesis. For my own opinion, I have not enough evidence to predict growth or regression or anything yet for 2019 at all.

There's really no point in telling you how I interpret the "eye test" as each individual's opinion is unique and you could come up with an infinite number of "counter" opinions and comparisons to other teams. I can't make any "claims" either since no one KNOWS what the future holds for ANY team. Stats can even be sited but they have can't even accurately predict success/failure. The point of forums like these are for sharing opinions.

My "opinion" just happens to be that the Bears are still ascending and I believe we'll see that continue in 2019.

My reasons are:
Nagy having a year of running the show under his belt
Trubs in his second year of the same offense and a better understanding of everything from routes, personnel, timing, playbook, etc..
Still a relatively young and healthy team
Solid to great Defense
Winning culture is emerging

Now of course you can't quantify any of this and I know that's what you're looking for. So, I'll stick with my opinion and you keep searching for what you need to form your own.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Side note:

I allowed JAX to be taken off the list of teams that had it together last year but fell apart because yeah, Bortles does suck.

But I shouldn't have because the 2017 Jaguars are a great example of a team that played great (even Bortles in the postseason was on fire and played very well and as a matter of fact has better playoff games with higher playoff QB ratings than Mitch and Goff and Wentz etc).

The fact that Bortles returned to Earth in 18 is exactly why that effect reverberated through the whole team and a championship caliber defense crashed and the defense itself also fell apart this year.

That long-reaching effect of a QB not elevating his game is one of the reasons why it is a great question to ask here.

This is NOT "is Trubisky just the next Bortles?" He isn't. I mean- he ALREADY isn't in a few ways.

But the weak link for 2018 Bears was a young, growing QB in Trubisky with a young, learning HC.

Given that, if Mitch doesn't take it to the next level in 2019, then how could anyone expect or have reason to believe the Bears to take it to the next level outside of the QB anyway?

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
There's really no point in telling you how I interpret the "eye test" as each individual's opinion is unique and you could come up with an infinite number of "counter" opinions and comparisons to other teams. I can't make any "claims" either since no one KNOWS what the future holds for ANY team. Stats can even be sited but they have can't even accurately predict success/failure. The point of forums like these are for sharing opinions.

My "opinion" just happens to be that the Bears are still ascending and I believe we'll see that continue in 2019.

My reasons are:
Nagy having a year of running the show under his belt
Trubs in his second year of the same offense and a better understanding of everything from routes, personnel, timing, playbook, etc..
Still a relatively young and healthy team
Solid to great Defense
Winning culture is emerging

Now of course you can't quantify any of this and I know that's what you're looking for. So, I'll stick with my opinion and you keep searching for what you need to form your own.

Yeah but you are using some facts outside of your opinion and your "eye test" is biased towards the team you love.

All of your bolded reasons can be applied to 2017 JAX and even more so because they went much further in the playoffs than 2018 Bears. The Jaguars not only failed to return but lost more games than they won the VERY year after they went to the AFC Conference Championship game vs. NE.

Payton_34

Seattle Bears Fan
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yeah but you are using some facts outside of your opinion and your "eye test" is biased towards the team you love.

All of your bolded reasons can be applied to 2017 JAX and even more so because they went much further in the playoffs than 2018 Bears. The Jaguars not only failed to return but lost more games than they won the VERY year after they went to the AFC Conference Championship game vs. NE.

Alright, so I have my opinion on the direction of the Bears. What's yours?

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

I guarantee last year JAX message boards were filled with fans seeing no reason to believe that the Jaguars were not poised to take the next step next year. And the Dolphins. And the Vikings. And the Falcons.

Playoff teams that fail at one particular level (be it WC or divisional or whatever) do not usually get the opportunity to "finish business" and grow linearly by getting farther next year until the year comes where they win it all. Just doesn't work like that. It can work like that at times in history but it is rare

and I know of no metric or analysis to reliably predict that result for the Bears resulting in anyone with a rational mind bursting with confidence.

"Nagy > Trestman" maybe? I can be on board with that reasoning to a degree but it is slightly disingenuous to claim "opinion" while also giving analysis as a basis for that opinion.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Alright, so I have my opinion on the direction of the Bears. What's yours?

I do not have enough information yet to form an opinion on the 2019 Bears.

Neither do you it seems. We primarily disagree on the scope of fact-based opinions in the sense that my opinions need to be based on facts outside my beliefs and your opinions need only your belief system to be formed.

Payton_34

Seattle Bears Fan
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I do not have enough information yet to form an opinion on the 2019 Bears.

Neither do you it seems. We primarily disagree on the scope of fact-based opinions in the sense that my opinions need to be based on facts outside my beliefs and your opinions need only your belief system to be formed.

So, I'm optimistic about the Bears upcoming season. Your response is that there is no reason for such optimism. I can only go on how things are as of today. Obviously things can change to alter my opinion. However, as of right now the Bears are coming off a season where they won the division after finishing last for the prior 3 seasons and won 9 of their final 10 games. Of the 5 games they lost they were always had a chance and never blown out as in recent seasons. Yes, bad things can happen but as it stand today the future looks bright.

You've used examples (JAX) of why you think otherwise. You've also mentioned some "sophomore slump" as if that's a given. These must be your "feelings" leading to your opinion. That's fine. You roll with that and I won't grill you for some nonexistent proof that one's opinion is worth more than another's.

Have a great day and stay safe.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Just a bye week.

Did you make this???
DwwW8YzWoAk6suN.jpg

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
So, I'm optimistic about the Bears upcoming season.

No, you went further than being optimistic. You said "Is there any reason to believe the Bears' offense won't take a major step forward in 2019?"

You said they were "worlds better than under Fox" and presumed Trubisky's growth will continue from here forward.

This isn't simply being optimistic when you literally ASK for any doubters to step up to the (admittedly) true facts that the Bears and Trubisky got better and also grew in 2018. Your fallacy is assuming the growth is sustainable for the Bears where it was not so for others, and that is literally the ANSWER to the question you yourself posed.

Your response is that there is no reason for such optimism.

True. There is also no reason yet for pessimism which I also do not have as yet, but yes no reason for optimism I can see.

I can only go on how things are as of today

Right. So that means we have zero evidence on how things will go in 2019. This directly belies your own question.

However, as of right now the Bears are coming off a season where they won the division after finishing last for the prior 3 seasons and won 9 of their final 10 games. Of the 5 games they lost they were always had a chance and never blown out as in recent seasons.

All true and yet, my point is that a good 2018 does not mean 2019 will be better (let alone good even). Again I would not even have answered if you hadn't asked "Is there any reason to believe the Bears' offense won't take a major step forward in 2019?"

THAT implied rhetorical does not follow logically from a good year. History bears that fact out.

Yes, bad things can happen but as it stand today the future looks bright.

Today is irrelevant to what the 2019 Bears will look like and what they will do though.

You've used examples (JAX) of why you think otherwise

Damn, you are being dense here. I do NOT "think otherwise". And history is FULL of new coaches bringing new teams to the playoffs with just as much new "energy" and winning in their culture only to never return again. 2017 JAX was just one example of many littered throughout NFL history that directly answers YOUR own question:

"Is there any reason to believe the Bears' offense won't take a major step forward in 2019?"

You've also mentioned some "sophomore slump" as if that's a given.

You assume a lot. I did not say nor imply a slump for Trubisky is a given. Only that a slump for Trubisky would be a reason that the Bears do "not take a major step forward in 2019", you know, ANSWERING your own question.

These must be your "feelings" leading to your opinion.

I considered letting this go but since you seem so dull in the mental faculties, I think it bears repeating:

I. do. not. have. an. opinion. on. the. 2019. Bears. yet.

You literally asked "Is there any reason to believe the Bears' offense won't take a major step forward in 2019?"

You are trying to twist this into a glass half empty/ half full type of disagreement and that is disingenuous of my position as evidenced by my (repeated) statements here.

There are reasons to believe the Bears will take the next step. But there are also reasons to believe the Bears will not take the next step. There are reasons to believe they will win more games. There are reasons to believe they will win fewer.

Without facts, all any of us have is belief but you didn't start this with stating your own belief. You trumpeted your belief and doubled down when you rhetorically implied the supposedly obvious negative response to:

"Is there any reason to believe the Bears' offense won't take a major step forward in 2019?"

If you ask, expect an answer. If you don't like the answer, that's fine but don't put words into my mouth that I have an opposite opinion of you.

I reserve opinions for more facts. You do not bother reserving and have faith without solid evidence in a better outcome for 2019.

THAT is what is going on.

Have a great day and stay safe

You too.