Biggs: Massie Contract Details

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
We are a young team we should expect the major reason going forward that we remain a contender is progression. But also not all is lost in fa with lack of cap space. Don’t under rate the culture change here attracting vet free agents on a discount that want to play on a winner. Not all is lost on adding talent we just have to attack free agency differently then what we are used to.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, but sometimes that doesn't happen and the GM is fired. I think its ok to say that Pace learned on the job the first couple years and has improved, yet CCS wants the narrative to be that Pace had some type of 5-year linear plan. That is that part I disagree with.

Anyway, I think we can all agree that Pace is building the franchise up and hopefully it will get to the point where the Bears are a Great Team that Wins Despite Bad Calls.....

I am sure Pace would have liked to compete right away. Pace got better as time went on. Anyone in a new job is not going to be at the top of his game immediately. It takes time. The NFL is very what-did-you-just-do and what-are-you-about-to-do-league. Pace first couple years of W-L record is moot because of last year's performance coupled with a new HC and a QB coming into his own.

Next two years will be Pace's legacy.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Bears are at the point where the only viable influx of better than average talent is probably a year or two off.

For the Bears to improve, the offense will have to get better. I don't think it is realistic to expect the Bears to have a defensive repeat. There is no significant money in free agency to bring in top end talent and we don't have draft capital to get a guy to produce at a top level immediately.

What you see is what you get as far as names on this roster and it will be up to the offense to move forward. While the Massie signing was necessary, there is little room for error on player signing and retention.

This is Pace's baby for better or worse and for Pace to win it will take Nagy and Trubisky to make that happen.

gettyimages-900113770.jpg

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

we are not the only team that will be looking to get him. We may have an advantage, but this deal for a free agent would be an exception not the norm.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I don't really think that level of turnover is atypical. If you look at the starters from the 2018 Patriots compared to the 2014 Patriots, you get 6 players who are the same (Brady, Gronk, Edelman, Hightower, McCourtey & Chung)...27%.

I think Pace has been given enough time and "earned" enough top 10 draft positions so that we can stop referring to what he inherited when he became GM. He's proven himself to be better than Phil Emery, but its time to take the next step of sustained success.

It's just that he had such low talent - 29% of the entire team was still in the NFL, and most as special teamers and backups. Only three were starters on his 2018 team.

But overall I agree. He's been good but the proof is really in what lies ahead. If he keeps hitting on mid rounders at the same rate, I'd say that's going to be the key at least for the next couple years.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It's just that he had such low talent - 29% of the entire team was still in the NFL, and most as special teamers and backups. Only three were starters on his 2018 team.

But overall I agree. He's been good but the proof is really in what lies ahead. If he keeps hitting on mid rounders at the same rate, I'd say that's going to be the key at least for the next couple years.

I think there has to be a natural slow down in the amount of mid round picks he is hitting. I hope not, but it seems unrealistic to just continually add starting players in the 5th round.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I think there has to be a natural slow down in the amount of mid round picks he is hitting. I hope not, but it seems unrealistic to just continually add starting players in the 5th round.

As long as he gets mostly players that contribute in rounds 3-5 I think it will be alright. He probably doesn't have to hit home runs there anymore.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Why is the 2019 cap hit only $3.8 million when they are actually giving Massie $9 million in 2019 ($2.4 base salary, $6.5 signing bonus, $100,000 workout bonus)?

5 year contract, so prorated over 5 years. 6.5m/5 = 1.3m per season.

Note: the signing bonus is the only money prorated like that. Any other bonuses or escalators affect the cap year they are paid in.
Thanks, but I don't see how it answers the question I asked. Per Biggs the contract is 5 years, $40mil, $15.8 gtd.

If it's prorated over 5 yrs, I see $8/yr... why isn't the cap hit $8mil in 2019? Windy say $3.8 for 2019. I don't get it. If he's getting $9 mil in 2019, why isn't the cap hit $9?

Signing money is paid in cash as soon as he signs the contract, or a few days later, but the cap hit is spread over the all the years equally.

A 10 million signing bonus is cash in hand, but only counts 2 million/year in terms of cap dollars.

That is how year 1 cap hits are so low.

:whoosh:

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Thanks, but I don't see how it answers the question I asked. Per Biggs the contract is 5 years, $40mil, $15.8 gtd.

If it's prorated over 5 yrs, I see $8/yr... why isn't the cap hit $8mil in 2019? Windy say $3.8 for 2019. I don't get it. If he's getting $9 mil in 2019, why isn't the cap hit $9?

The signing bonus is prorated over the life of the contract. I.e. the 6.5 million of his bonus is broken into 1.3/year cap hits. Then you add X salary and you get the cap hit for that season. They simply have backloaded his salary so that in the 2019 season they're only paying him 2.4ish in salary.

So, for 2019 it's 2.4 (salary) + 1.3 (prorated bonus hit) = 3.7ish cap hit (leaving out the workout bonus for ease of understanding).

Then in 2020 his base salary climbs to 7. $7 (salary) + the 1.3 (signing bonus) = 8.3 cap hit.

Then the last 3 years of the deal = 8 (in salary) each + 1.3 each year = 9.3 cap hit each of 2021, 2022, and 2023.

You seem to be confused because people talk about contracts as being $X "per year." They're just averaging out the money over the life of the contract, not how/when it's actually paid out. Add up all those cap hits and you get your 40 mil over 5 years, it's just payed out unevenly due to the base salary fluctuating.

That help?

DanTown

Liked Posts:
So looking at it, it's

Cap Hit: 3.8M

Cap Hit: 8.3M
Dead Money: 12.1M

Cap Hit: 9.3M
Dead Money: 3.9M

Dead Money: 2.6M

Dead Money: 1.3M

Most likely a two year deal here with some dead money on the 2021 cap which is probably ok if you can find a competent tackle. Pretty good signing. Really good for Massie as he'll make 2/16 and then probably get another crack at being a fringe RT. Might be a three year deal for the Bears/Massie which would be fairly good for him and the Bears would be ok with that if they can't find a guy by then.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
autographed-jim-miller-8x10-photo-chicago-bears549-t2371396-2991.jpg

I remember when the Bears fired Dick Jauron, the main sticking point was that he hadn't won a postseason game in 5 years time. Ryan Pace is going into his 5th year!

One's a coach, the other is a GM. Les Snead of the Rams took 6 years to get a postseason victory. GM's tend to get more time unless they are simply a fucking disaster like Emery

Visionman

Liked Posts:
The signing bonus is prorated over the life of the contract. I.e. the 6.5 million of his bonus is broken into 1.3/year cap hits. Then you add X salary and you get the cap hit for that season. They simply have backloaded his salary so that in the 2019 season they're only paying him 2.4ish in salary.

So, for 2019 it's 2.4 (salary) + 1.3 (prorated bonus hit) = 3.7ish cap hit (leaving out the workout bonus for ease of understanding).

Then in 2020 his base salary climbs to 7. $7 (salary) + the 1.3 (signing bonus) = 8.3 cap hit.

Then the last 3 years of the deal = 8 (in salary) each + 1.3 each year = 9.3 cap hit each of 2021, 2022, and 2023.

You seem to be confused because people talk about contracts as being $X "per year." They're just averaging out the money over the life of the contract, not how/when it's actually paid out. Add up all those cap hits and you get your 40 mil over 5 years, it's just payed out unevenly due to the base salary fluctuating.

That help?

That's why I hate when ppl make a big deal out of the per year number. It has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with how a contract affects the cap. It's just a number for agents to brag about and players to compare to each other.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Regardless if the contract is a good one, it is nice to see Massie, get a long term contract.

He has improved over the last two years and has been healthy. There are not a lot of teams that have solid Left and Right tackles that have played together for several seasons on team friendly deals.

Great job to Pace, congrats to Massie, and the fact that he wanted to stay is telling me that the locker room is in a very good position, congrats to Nagy.

This team really is built for success, because they have been able to retain a Very Good Core of players.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I tend to give GMs a pass on their 1st year as they are still learning their own personnel and in this case had to use the last regime's scouting staff etc. Often, a GM can rely on holdover coaches for a bit of info on what's there and he didn't have any of that either.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
OTC has it up

<iframe src="https://overthecap.com/contract-embed/384/" width="600" height="336" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
I seem to remember Windy saying that 2020 will be tighter than 2019 cap-wise. The contract while Bears friendly has the chunk of savings 2019.
8.3 in 2020 vs 3.8 2019.

So are the Bears not as worried about 2020 as Windy? Or am I not remembering things correctly here Windy?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I seem to remember Windy saying that 2020 will be tighter than 2019 cap-wise. The contract while Bears friendly has the chunk of savings 2019.
8.3 in 2020 vs 3.8 2019.

So are the Bears not as worried about 2020 as Windy? Or am I not remembering things correctly here Windy?

They have way more room.

But the list of contracts is more daunting.