Dan Hampton affect

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
An interesting statistical tidbit that I came across regarding Dan Hampton.

During Dan Hampton’s career, in the games he played the Bears allowed 104.0 yards rushing a game for 3.8 yards per rush and 0.6 rushing touchdowns per game.

In the games he missed they allowed 115.7 yards rushing a game for a 4.0 yards per carry average and 1.2 touchdowns rushing per game.

In games he played their record was 79-24 (.779) and when he was out the Bears record was 8-16 (.333).

When Hampton played the Bears recorded 3.4 sacks a game and when he was out it fell to 2.3 sacks per game for the Bears and when he was in the lineup the bears allowed 15.9 points a game and when he was out they allowed 23.1 points per game.

Clearly, you can see there was a "Hampton affect"—the team performed better when he was in the lineup.

s-l300.jpg

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The John Turney affect.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

During Dan Hampton’s career, in the games he played the Bears allowed 104.0 yards rushing a game for 3.8 yards per rush and 0.6 rushing touchdowns per game.

In the games he missed they allowed 115.7 yards rushing a game for a 4.0 yards per carry average and 1.2 touchdowns rushing per game.

In games he played their record was 79-24 (.779) and when he was out the Bears record was 8-16 (.333).

When Hampton played the Bears recorded 3.4 sacks a game and when he was out it fell to 2.3 sacks per game for the Bears and when he was in the lineup the bears allowed 15.9 points a game and when he was out they allowed 23.1 points per game.

Clearly, you can see there was a "Hampton affect"—the team performed better when he was in the lineup.

s-l300.jpg

So...there was a positive effect of having a hall of famer in the lineup? Who'd a thunk it? :)

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
What kinda source is it if they don't know the difference between affect & effect?

The Bleacher Report?

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
You all can sneer but do those stats apply to every HOF across every team? Which stat is more linked to the HOF player and which might be just coincidence? I don't know either. So let's grant there would be a huge positive effect from a HOF on their team's W-L record over the course of their time there. Does it correlate with the effect of other HOFers on same team? Did the HOF effect continue with Urlacher in the Lovie era? Which HOF with which team had the greatest HOF effect? Any guesses before data is crunched and reasoning for each hypothesis?

There is good football talk here to be had, doubters.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Looking forward to more edgy and relevant reads like The Bronko Nagurski affect

Yeah, who knew that posting about Bears football in a Bears forum would be 'irrelevant'. I'd much rather talk about alternate realities, like you do. What if Dan Hampton played for the 2018 Bears, and the Bears made the Super Bowl, and the Bears lost to the Patriots, and Dan Hampton was dominated by Marcus Cannon and held to 0 tackles, would Hampton be kicked out of the Hall of Fame?

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I remember breaking out these kind of stats for reasons that Richard Dent would continue to get snubbed by the HOF.

The number one priority for opposing coaches playing against the Bears in the 80s was figuring out how to block Dan Hampton. Everything else was collateral damage. Dent feasted on quarterbacks for years because half of the protection all went towards 99.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:

s-l300.jpg

Actually pretty staggering the impact he had as a single player on the field. Thats a nice sample size too.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
So...there was a positive effect of having a hall of famer in the lineup? Who'd a thunk it? :)

Yeah, I guess its like the opposite of the Jay Cutler Effect, where the Bears passing offense becomes better with Josh McCown. I thought it was interesting that a non-QB/interior lineman would have such a noticeable statistical 'affect'.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
It is almost as if really good players help teams win and bad players add to their loss.....

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Imagine writing being literally your profession and not knowing the difference between affect and effect.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Imagine writing being literally your profession and not knowing the difference between affect and effect.

I'm not a writer, but I do admit that I randomly use effect and affect, never know which one to use.