OT: What should the Rams do about Goff?

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I like the hypothesis as well.

Perhaps you can build a monster team that needs a QB that is fast, and doesn't throw a bunch of turnovers to win, but you can devalue the position and pay other players if you are willing to jettison QB's every few years. Also the interesting thought about this is that if you started stacking young QB's IE: taking one every year in the draft (even in the later rounds) that you do not have to worry as much about your current system QB taking some punishment and possibly getting hurt.

Lets be honest, this is not how the NFL runs today. It is an interesting idea though, especially with the NFL looking a bit more and more like college each year in terms of offense. Those guys all run QB's for three or four years and rollover and a lot of the programs stay successful despite. Could something like that work in the NFL? I think it would take an Owner, GM, and Innovative coaching staff all on board to even attempt it.

Well the thing there is that the top schools recruit the best talent all over the team, which is why they're able to stay dominant. You couldn't replicate that in the NFL.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Well the thing there is that the top schools recruit the best talent all over the team, which is why they're able to stay dominant. You couldn't replicate that in the NFL.
My thought was you could recruit/sign great talent all over the team and get away with middling qb play.

Losing talent to fa wouldn't have to happen as much, and you would have cap room to fill out a team with the extra money saved.

I get your point about teams like Alabama that get the best recruits, but they also seem to have middling QB's frequently.

In this scenario I also don't think you draft a QB in the first round very often as you want to get your fifth year option on the guys you are going to keep around.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
LOL at anyone thinking the Rams will simply let Goff walk. Recency bias is strong.

Never said they would. I said I would dump or trade him unless I was convinced he was a great QB.

I’m so happy you aren’t the Bears GM. Imagine letting a guy like Big Ben or Brees or Rivers or Matt Ryan or any other QB who were not “great” at the end of their rookie deal and with the exception of Brees have never been good. Why would you give up a QB for another rookie who might not turn out. These decisions can set a franchise back a decade. I would say none of the current QBs on rookie deals except for Mahomes have been great. You seriously would let guys like Wentz, Watson, Mitch, Goff, walk for another rookie when all of these guys are already very promising but may never reach “great”. By the way please show a little bit of evidence to your claim that Nagy and McVay proclaim themselves as great. I think you’re upset other people refer to them as great for what ever reason that bothers you.

You seem confused.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/ben-roethlisberger-3595/cash-earnings/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/matt-ryan-3983/cash-earnings/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-chargers/philip-rivers-3522/cash-earnings/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/drew-brees-4542/cash-earnings/

None of those guys made the kind of money you have to pay Goff or Trubs at the end of their rookie contract so they are irrelevant to the discussion.

Further, Watson, Trubs, Mahommes have 3 more years to prove themselves so not sure you point. I don't know if I would get rid of them because they aren't even halfway through their rookie deal. Goff threw for 32 TDs this year and was top 10 in several categories. If he has 2 more years like that then he would perhaps be worth a new contract. If he regresses or flounders then he wouldn't. I made a qualified statement. I did not claim I was dumping them right now.

Sure. Remy said that if a franchise isn’t 100% convinced their QB that is on a rookie deal is “great” they should move on and draft another one. I’m saying that’s pretty dumb because the only QB on their rookie deal that is already great is Mahomes. By that logic we should dump Mitch, the Eagles should dump Wentz, Rams should dump Goff, and the Texans should send Watson packing. For a historical example I used QBs like Big Ben, Rivers, and Brees. None of those QBs were great at the end of their rookie deal and with the exception of Brees they have never been great but moving on from them would have been a huge mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No you missed the cost and time element. I said I wouldn't pay 25 million. None of the other examples you gave were making 25 million a year at end of rookie deal. Further, there is no reason to dump anyone now when Trubs still has 3 years to prove himself and Goff 2 more years. What part of at the end of their rookie contract did you not understand?

Reading comprehension is fundamental. You should try it sometime.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
But Goff isn't average and does not produce average.

2018 Goff: 65% completion 4688 yards 32 TD - 12 INT

If he does this for you, you pay the guy. That's NOT average.

Again, I never said Goff was average. I said I would dump or trade him if he wasn't great. I agree he had a great year this year and the question is whether he can replicate over the course of the next 2 years. Hence why I said, "If for whatever reason Goff or Trubisky are not the answer." We don't know that yet. The point was not to jump the gun and sign dudes off of one great season or off of potential. Let their rookie deals play out and pull the trigger only if they show they can be consistently great.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
He was just so bad in the Superbowl. I mean there were moments he seemed to forget how to throw a football, let alone read a defense. Just horrible.

For his future it's a complete unknown. He had some great and horrible stretches this year. With the QB position you have to commit to him, but if he starts slow next year people will be wondering if he's there guy.

I'd add, the same chatter is there for Wentz. Some of the fan base would like to run with Foles just because they feel he's a known asset in the Superbowl. I could see some people become anti-Goff because they also feel he's a known liability in the Superbowl.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
He was just so bad in the Superbowl. I mean there were moments he seemed to forget how to throw a football, let alone read a defense. Just horrible.

For his future it's a complete unknown. He had some great and horrible stretches this year. With the QB position you have to commit to him, but if he starts slow next year people will be wondering if he's there guy.

I'd add, the same chatter is there for Wentz. Some of the fan base would like to run with Foles just because they feel he's a known asset in the Superbowl. I could see some people become anti-Goff because they also feel he's a known liability in the Superbowl.

I think yall should keep Foles too. Where do i sign?

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:

That's true, but how many chances at the SB do you get to prove otherwise? I recall Roethesberger had a horrendous first SB and he's probably a HOFer.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
That's true, but how many chances at the SB do you get to prove otherwise? I recall Roethesberger had a horrendous first SB and he's probably a HOFer.

Big Ben was awful in his 1st Superbowl. I think he was the lowest rated QB to win the game. Could be wrong though

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Yeah but they won lol. People react to the outcome more tgan what happened in the game.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
We're not talking about great QBs like Brady or Mahomes.

We're talking about average and system QBs.

Is it worth giving a big, multi-year deal to a QB not in the top ten, for continuity sake or to justify a draft position.

Haven't read through the entire thread yet, but to answer this:

NO! Giving a huge contract to a QB who needs a system and/or great players around him to succeed turns you into Detroit, not the Pats. The worst possible thing ANY team can do is pay top dollar for a middling QB...

napo55

Liked Posts:
Sorry, but this thread is a waste of space. Goff will sign a generous contract and no doubt continue to improve as he learns his craft.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Sorry, but this thread is a waste of space. Goff will sign a generous contract and no doubt continue to improve as he learns his craft.

Nah, don't be sorry. Goff will sign another contract no doubt.

The linked story was more for fun & trying to have something on the board to talk about today.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
It all really depends on contract structure. The QB market is expensive. Below average QB's are getting PAID. Unless you can comfortably draft and turn out young QB's, it isn't viable to continue to overturn QB's.

Looking around the league, I think the Matt Ryan and Kirk Cousins deals are horrible and will put a ceiling on how good the Vikings and falcons can become. These guys got overpaid - Ryan is a good QB but he isn't elite (he had one elite year which got him his contract). Kirk Cousins isn't as good as Ryan but getting just as much money.

The Rams can't get caught up in this type of deal for Goff - He deserves somewhere between 23-25 million per year absolute max.

Speaking of Trubisky, while I am a huge fan of his and his potential, if I had to choose to pay him right now, I wouldn't be giving him anymore than what Tannehill or Keenum got (18-19 million).

napo55

Liked Posts:
Nah, don't be sorry. Goff will sign another contract no doubt.

The linked story was more for fun & trying to have something on the board to talk about today.

I hear you. And without first or second round draft choices, it will be slow going for a while.

napo55

Liked Posts:
It all really depends on contract structure. The QB market is expensive. Below average QB's are getting PAID. Unless you can comfortably draft and turn out young QB's, it isn't viable to continue to overturn QB's.

Looking around the league, I think the Matt Ryan and Kirk Cousins deals are horrible and will put a ceiling on how good the Vikings and falcons can become. These guys got overpaid - Ryan is a good QB but he isn't elite (he had one elite year which got him his contract). Kirk Cousins isn't as good as Ryan but getting just as much money.

The Rams can't get caught up in this type of deal for Goff - He deserves somewhere between 23-25 million per year absolute max.

Speaking of Trubisky, while I am a huge fan of his and his potential, if I had to choose to pay him right now, I wouldn't be giving him anymore than what Tannehill or Keenum got (18-19 million).

So with this franchise's incredibly dismal record with quarterbacks, how would you feel if MT left and became a star with another team?

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
So with this franchise's incredibly dismal record with quarterbacks, how would you feel if MT left and became a star with another team?

By the time his contract is up - you will know if he is going to be a star or not. It's only year 2.

Find me a guy who wasn't a "star" and then signed with another team after his rookie contract and became a "star".

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
They can keep him cheap next year, use their fifth year option after that, and franchise him the next two years after that. This is a false dilemma.

napo55

Liked Posts:
By the time his contract is up - you will know if he is going to be a star or not. It's only year 2.

Find me a guy who wasn't a "star" and then signed with another team after his rookie contract and became a "star".

Drew Brees?

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Goff isn't going anywhere. If anything their "genius" HC needs to drum up some great protection schemes becsuse Goff folds when there is pressure down the middle and he doesnt have the mobilty to escape it

Trying to protect Goff is what McVay has been trying to do the last quarter of the season. But by doing so, it stripped away all of his ingenuity. It’s hard to scheme guys open when you can only send out 2 to 3 targets on route. He called 7 and 8 man protections most of the super bowl, that’s why receivers were rarely open. Goff needs a completely clean pocket to throw from, and that’s a massive challenge for any offensive coordinator.

Here is the type of pocket Goff regularly threw out of prior to the Bears game...

RWUtKf3.png

Last edited: