OT: What should the Rams do about Goff?

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/02/jared-goff-super-bowl

The post is kinda funny, it has twitter videos of Goff and Cook's mistakes and highlights some good secondary play by the Patriots.

But I wondered when you have the McVay, Pedersons and Nagys of the NFL, might the snippet below factor into the future.

I mean, if Trubisky is the same next year, the Bears should at least consider this option.

"So now the Rams have to decide whether they want to commit long term to Goff, who was considered by many a bust after his rookie season but then excelled for most of this season. They’ll likely pickup his fifth-year option this offseason, meaning his salary would jump from under $9 million to around $20 million for 2020. After that it’s either sign him to a mega-deal or become the first team to test this hypothesis: If you’ve hired a coach who can make QBs look good with his system, can you actually discard QBs every few years and operate with the *huge* advantage of not blowing so much cap room on one position?"

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yes, good QBs grow on trees and systems triumph over QB talent.

Hence Belichek having won Super Bowls with so many different QBs.

This is clearly evident by how often you see top performing QBs jettisoned to the wind as their teams easily pick up a new QB and continue rolling along.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:

This is clearly evident by how often you see top performing QBs jettisoned to the wind as their teams easily pick up a new QB and continue rolling along.

We're not talking about great QBs like Brady or Mahomes.

We're talking about average and system QBs.

Is it worth giving a big, multi-year deal to a QB not in the top ten, for continuity sake or to justify a draft position.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Still holds. Can't just pick them off the QB tree. Goff has talent. Easier for the coach to continue to scheme to his strength and away from his deficiencies. Part of keeping Goff clean these last 2 years is that he hasn't had to deal with that much pressure so it's not that surprising that it's still an issue when he gets it. He may get better or not but I'm curious what replacement you have in mind. Foles? He looked worse than Goff at this stage in his career with a 74 rating over his 4th and 5th years. Pederson tweaked the O for him like Goff's coach did for him.

The difference between Trubs and Goff is that Goff is very much the same player he was in college though he didn't show it his 1st year with Fisher. Trubs has grown a lot which is encouraging. He's much better under pressure and the other aspects are all improving over time. It's too early to consider anything with Goff and 2 years too early for Mitch who was taken a year later... unless he significantly regresses next year. GUys like Mahomes and Watson have had accelerated growth or were just that ready. Goff and Trubs are now on normal trajectories and that's actually a feather in Mitch's cap since he started well behind the norm from an experience standpoint.

I have no idea if this is true but to me, Mitch seems like he's the type that tries to do everything right until he's got it down, which actually holds him back a bit but once he thinks he's got it right, he may explode the score board. The only thing I'm not crazy about in his game is dropping balls in but it's not awful and been getting better. We know that he'll work hard to fix it. The arm talent is there. I'm assuming his read ability continues to grow with familiarity.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Is it worth giving a big, multi-year deal to a QB not in the top ten, for continuity sake or to justify a draft position.

So.. for one thing I wouldn't crown Mahomes with Brady.

Mahomes had one amazing year, where Brady is basically the best QB to ever play in the NFL and just won a Super Bowl past the age of 40.

And second, Goff has played 2 really good years and you've never seen him play a season away from McVay.... I don't count 7 games started as a rookie under Jeff Fisher.

Goff, in 2018, was top 10 in Wins, TDs, Yards, YPG, QBR....

He is a 24 year old QB who was easily in the top 10 in 2018.

As a Bears fan who watched them throw money at a QB nightmare in Jay Cutler and went thru a number of QB carousels.... yeah if I have a system and a QB who seems to thrive in it, I'm paying that dude.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
It is an interesting hypothesis only because the one way I could see it happening with any success would be a team like the Bears. One that is built to win on a monster defense with a complementary offense that can do "just enough".

However, it would also only work with being able to pull this magic on far less talented quarterbacks. You can debate about how talented Goff and Trubisky are, but you cannot debate how much draft capital spent on each pick. You cannot do that every four years and sustain the team's talent. You have to start hitting on those fourth/fifth rounds QBs and doing it consistently.

Interesting hypothesis indeed, but you best have the best GM/HC combo in the league to pull it off successfully.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

This could happen to Trubs if he doesn't continue to develop.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Unless you are absolutely convinced a guy is a great QB at the end of his rookie contract, I would dump or trade him and get another one. NFL teams currently pay a lot of money to QBs that aren't worth it. If McVay or Nagy are the offensive genius they claim to be they can find a QB who can actually be great rather than pay 25 million for average production if for whatever reason Goff or Trubs aren't the answer.g

Nelly

Liked Posts:
You could do a lot worse than Goff. We showed how to beat the Rams defensively and the Patriots executed that gameplan quite brilliantly defensively. Goff was just a part of their offensive mess in the superbowl.

In fact, i wouldn't be surprised to see McVay fall out of favor in the near future. Superbowl losers are notorious for suffering a hangover the next year, so there's that. Their offense really isn't all that creative and relies on the play action passing game, which relies on a good running game. If you play downhill defensively on them you can have some success. Against the great minds like Fangio and Belichick, the Rams offense had no answer and that's supposed to be what defines them.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Can we do a poll to see if this is the worst thread of the year

greg23

Liked Posts:
So.. for one thing I wouldn't crown Mahomes with Brady.

Mahomes had one amazing year, where Brady is basically the best QB to ever play in the NFL and just won a Super Bowl past the age of 40.

And second, Goff has played 2 really good years and you've never seen him play a season away from McVay.... I don't count 7 games started as a rookie under Jeff Fisher.

Goff, in 2018, was top 10 in Wins, TDs, Yards, YPG, QBR....

He is a 24 year old QB who was easily in the top 10 in 2018.

As a Bears fan who watched them throw money at a QB nightmare in Jay Cutler and went thru a number of QB carousels.... yeah if I have a system and a QB who seems to thrive in it, I'm paying that dude.

Brady
Brees
Mahomes
Rogers
Big Ben
Luck
Wilson
Rivers

I'd say Goff if in the next tier with Watson, Wentz, trubisky, Ryan, Mayfield, cousins, etc and more like a borderline top 10 qb; but not lower than 15th ish; which would make him a top half qb.

PrimeTime

Knowledge Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
With QB salaries going up every year it's possible Goff, Mahomes and possibly Trubs will get 30 mil a year or more in the near future.

KC needed some help on defense, as great as their offense is, it will be tough to win it all with that defense. T. Hill was number 4 in receiving yards this past season and 3rd in TD's by WR's. Whether you think he's worth it or not, 15 mil a year is not out of the question for Hill. Hill will be going into the last season of his rookie contract scheduled to make less than 2 mil in 2019. By the 2020 season KC will be adding almost 45 mil to their cap even if they tag Hill.

The Rams need to make a decision after next year, you never let your franchise QB hit the final year of their contract. It never ends well. Where are the Rams going to find 30 plus mil a year to add to their cap?

Finally you have the Bears. Everyone knows the Bears cap details, things are so tight the Bears are going to have a tough time just keeping their own starters. What do people envision having to happen to add a 30 mil contract?

7 of the 12 starting QB's in the playoffs are playing under their rookie contract while the top 6 paid QB's sat home and watched the playoffs.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Goff didn't look particularly good in the Superbowl, but then again, neither did Brady. Goff and Brady still both got their teams to the Superbowl, it would be hard to turn your back on that. Honestly, Gurley didn't look all that impressive either (injury?). Hell, the entire game didn't look impressive.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Brady
Brees
Mahomes
Rogers
Big Ben
Luck
Wilson
Rivers

I'd say Goff if in the next tier with Watson, Wentz, trubisky, Ryan, Mayfield, cousins, etc and more like a borderline top 10 qb; but not lower than 15th ish; which would make him a top half qb.

It is a very subjective measure... I wouldn't disagree strongly with you.

However, I personally think Goff, for 2018 is top 10.

As I already posted, he was top 10 in a number of stats at the very least.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Unless you are absolutely convinced a guy is a great QB at the end of his rookie contract, I would dump or trade him and get another one. NFL teams currently pay a lot of money to QBs that aren't worth it. If McVay or Nagy are the offensive genius they claim to be they can find a QB who can actually be great rather than pay 25 million for average production if for whatever reason Goff or Trubs aren't the answer.g

LOL at anyone thinking the Rams will simply let Goff walk. Recency bias is strong.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Goff is gonna get PAID. And it will be by the Rams. This thread is stupid.

mac bear

Liked Posts:

It’s a theory!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
they should trade Goff for Foles

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Goff isn't going anywhere. If anything their "genius" HC needs to drum up some great protection schemes becsuse Goff folds when there is pressure down the middle and he doesnt have the mobilty to escape it