Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adrian Amos and the Safety Position

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCity View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would not be surprised if they let Amos walk if his demands are in the 10/year range.

I would be surprised if they sign a big name safety.

The one that Hub mentions specifically is Tyrann Mathieu.
    I agree with you. Bears will make Amos a semi-fair market offer that's a home town and SB contender discount.

If Amos wants that extra 1-4 mil per year to go to another team, Bears and Amos are fine with the split.

And Bears will NOT sign a better and more expensive FA Safety -- instead they will pay Callahan and get decent FAs in other areas like OLB and RB; and they will either play Bush or Houston-Carson, and/or get a mid-grade FA Safety or draft a Safety.
    The Hunger Site -- click once a day, and sponsors give 1.1 cups of food to the hungry.
    Consider making it your Home Page: Hidden Content

We have bigger needs. Just start Bush and get more bodies to develop. Steelers D used to go through this all the time except the guys they lost deserved the big bucks. Next man up.
    Stupid wall will never keep out aliens. Try to get in to this!
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCity View Post
    He says that he won't get away from the Giants, that they will tag him.

He mentions

Joyner
    Clinton-Dix
    Mathieu
    Clinton-Dix is not better than Amos. No thank you I'd rather start Bush and draft someone.

Monday Morning QB playthrough2001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
    I agree with you. Bears will make Amos a fair market deal with a home town and SB contender discount.

If Amos wants that extra 1-4 mil per year to go to another team, Bears and Amos are fine with the split.

And Bears will NOT sign a better and more expensive FA Safety -- instead they will pay Callahan and get decent FAs in other areas like OLB and RB; and they will either play Bush or Houston-Carson, and/or get a mid-grade FA Safety or draft a Safety.
    It's awesome that you and Windy can be so definitive on what the Bears are planning and thinking.

Clinton-Dix and Collins are the only ones who would make any sense because theyíre the only ones who could play strong safety. Joyner and Matthieu are good players, but theyíve never played strong safety and theyíre both like 5í8 180.

Quote Originally Posted by playthrough2001 View Post
    It's awesome that you and Windy can be so definitive on what the Bears are planning and thinking.
    You're welcome.

Not definitive, but trying to evaluate all available evidence.

As I have said multiple times offer him in the 6 - 7 range and call it a day. If the dude is asking 9 or more he can fly to another team.

Quote Originally Posted by Burque View Post
    As I have said multiple times offer him in the 6 - 7 range and call it a day. If the dude is asking 9 or more he can fly to another team.
    Even $6-7 is too much. Bears can find similar production in a guy that costs only $2million. Eric Reid didn't even break $3million a year.

Quote Originally Posted by bamainatlanta View Post
    Even $6-7 is too much. Bears can find similar production in a guy that costs only $2million. Eric Reid didn't even break $3million a year.
    I don't think it's too much, I think it's the top end of his value. If he goes elsewhere I'm betting he gets more.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by playthrough2001 View Post
    = ) I think the logic is very sound. What do you think?

I'd like the Bears to sign a Safety better than Amos and sign Callahan, cause I agree Bears should go for Super Bowl now... but I don't think we can afford it. But if the Bears can restructure Long and Mack, I'd be happy with upgrading Amos, or re-signing him.

I disagree with Windy in that I think Bears will make good offers to both Callahan and Amos, but the rumor is Amos wants big money Bears don't have if Callahan is higher priority.

I think you're less high on Callahan, cause his injuries, right? But consider Callahan has been trending up on games: 11/2016, 12/2017, 13/2018. Also, Callahan is elite at NB: coverage, tackling and zippy blitzer, making the D more elite in a league trending towards 3 excellent WRs most of the time.

Amos is complete and durable, trending up, but as we have Jackson at FS (who will be expensive soon), that makes Amos the SS who typically needs to be more a run defender and isn't depended on to be elite in coverage -- would be nice, but if Bears are forced to cut corners, I think this is the better cut.

Who's more a defensive liability? Bush, DHC, mid-grade SS, draft SS -- or McManis, Tolliver, Joseph, mid-grade NB, draft NB? Hard say, but I think NB is a more refined position than SS.

- I like McManis (who looks ever better, but has failed repeatedly in past years mostly at outside CB) but he is 31 years old; Tolliver and Joseph are promising, love to see them with more reps, but taller and likely better suited to outside CB. So all 3 are more temp NBs if Callahan is injured. I think keeping Callahan and drafting a NB goes better here.

- Bush has looked solid in the SS role (it's great we got the chance to see him play) and I'd really like to see DHC get a more chances to develop & show what he's got. These guys have been Bears a long time and more seasoned than Tolliver/Joseph for a Super Bowl run. If we lose Amos, a draft SS would fit the situation well.
    The Hunger Site -- click once a day, and sponsors give 1.1 cups of food to the hungry.
    Consider making it your Home Page: Hidden Content

round three for this same thread?
    Iím not really looking to do a lot of work right now. Iím looking to do the exact opposite of that.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchapalooza View Post
    Maybe we can go after that Viking safety that wazzupi keeps orgasming about.
    Exactly, someone's paying attention !!

All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by wazzupi View Post
    Exactly, someone's paying attention !!
    He's my preferred choice as well to pair with Bush at the ss position.

We are bringing back Amos. I dont care the cost or the repercussions!
    There is a difference between woman throwing the pussy around for you to grab and just grabbing pussy. Trump money means itís raining pussy. Winston money means itís sprinkles lol - PAPABEAR77

Quote Originally Posted by PrideisBears View Post
    We are bringing back Amos. I dont care the cost or the repercussions!
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by remydat Hidden Content
    I simply stated what I think you think without stating what I personally think.
    Deep thoughts

Hidden Content Originally Posted by BearsBud Hidden Content
    After he looks dumber than usual and participates in his own dumbage
    Best post ever

Hidden Content Originally Posted by austtint Hidden Content
    I know when people say stuff idiotic, I respond to them.

I don't think we should offer anything for a middle aged bite size safety.

Quote Originally Posted by onebud34 View Post
    See? We can get him an endorsement deal with those cookies or Garza donuts. Then he'll take the discount
    There is a difference between woman throwing the pussy around for you to grab and just grabbing pussy. Trump money means itís raining pussy. Winston money means itís sprinkles lol - PAPABEAR77

Quote Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
    = ) I think the logic is very sound. What do you think?

I'd like the Bears to sign a Safety better than Amos and sign Callahan, cause I agree Bears should go for Super Bowl now... but I don't think we can afford it. But if the Bears can restructure Long and Mack, I'd be happy with upgrading Amos, or re-signing him.

I disagree with Windy in that I think Bears will make good offers to both Callahan and Amos, but the rumor is Amos wants big money Bears don't have if Callahan is higher priority.

I think you're less high on Callahan, cause his injuries, right? But consider Callahan has been trending up on games: 11/2016, 12/2017, 13/2018. Also, Callahan is elite at NB: coverage, tackling and zippy blitzer, making the D more elite in a league trending towards 3 excellent WRs most of the time.

Amos is complete and durable, trending up, but as we have Jackson at FS (who will be expensive soon), that makes Amos the SS who typically needs to be more a run defender and isn't depended on to be elite in coverage -- would be nice, but if Bears are forced to cut corners, I think this is the better cut.

Who's more a defensive liability? Bush, DHC, mid-grade SS, draft SS -- or McManis, Tolliver, Joseph, mid-grade NB, draft NB? Hard say, but I think NB is a more refined position than SS.

- I like McManis (who looks ever better, but has failed repeatedly in past years mostly at outside CB) but he is 31 years old; Tolliver and Joseph are promising, love to see them with more reps, but taller and likely better suited to outside CB. So all 3 are more temp NBs if Callahan is injured. I think keeping Callahan and drafting a NB goes better here.

- Bush has looked solid in the SS role (it's great we got the chance to see him play) and I'd really like to see DHC get a more chances to develop & show what he's got. These guys have been Bears a long time and more seasoned than Tolliver/Joseph for a Super Bowl run. If we lose Amos, a draft SS would fit the situation well.
    LOL! You need to stop saying this shit cause it isn't true. Elite is All Pro level of play every single year. This is not Callahan.
    President's bullet-ridden body in the street
    Ride, Johnny ride
    Kennedy's shattered head hits concrete
    Ride, Johnny ride

Quote Originally Posted by SlickWilly View Post
    LOL! You need to stop saying this shit cause it isn't true. Elite is All Pro level of play every single year. This is not Callahan.
    When Callahan is on the field he is an elite nickel corner. Stats don't lie. The only problem with Callahan is his ability to stay on the field.

But I digress, I am of the opinion that the SS position is less of a concern when you have a player of the caliber of Eddie Jackson. Create competition with Deon Bush and have a camp battle for the spot with two younger, cheaper options and use the money elsewhere.

Personally, I think Callahan's injury history could make him a value signing - when he is on the field, he will outplay any dollars he does get because that injury tag will hurt his value. With Callahan I get elite production while with Amos I get average/above average production depending on the day.

Quote Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
    When Callahan is on the field he is an elite nickel corner. Stats don't lie. The only problem with Callahan is his ability to stay on the field.

But I digress, I am of the opinion that the SS position is less of a concern when you have a player of the caliber of Eddie Jackson. Create competition with Deon Bush and have a camp battle for the spot with two younger, cheaper options and use the money elsewhere.

Personally, I think Callahan's injury history could make him a value signing - when he is on the field, he will outplay any dollars he does get because that injury tag will hurt his value. With Callahan I get elite production while with Amos I get average/above average production depending on the day.
    Which stats are these??? Are they the 4 INT's and 20 passes defended in 4 years??? I don't know what to tell you if you think those stats are elite....
    President's bullet-ridden body in the street
    Ride, Johnny ride
    Kennedy's shattered head hits concrete
    Ride, Johnny ride

Again mcmanis filled in fine for Callahan

Quote Originally Posted by SlickWilly View Post
    Which stats are these??? Are they the 4 INT's and 20 passes defended in 4 years??? I don't know what to tell you if you think those stats are elite....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast