Your Final Decision on Howard

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I guess I didn't understand the whole idea that Howard might NOT want to play here when he's under contract for 2019. Yeah, he might not want to play here in 2020...or, he might want to play here in 2020...but usually free agency is a "highest bidder" type of thing. I'm not sure how that would factor into the equation...the Bears haven't offered an extension to Howard, and they aren't going to franchise tag him, so Howard being a FA in 2020 is essentially a given.

I am assuming that this entire discussion is based on the assumption that Howard's 2019 season will be his last as a Bear...I guess that assumption was wrong as msadows is just now bringing this new point to the table for consideration (?!).

What would be more beneficial to the Bears future...Jordan Howard being on the roster in 2019, or a 2019 6th round pick? I thought it was a simple question. I think the Bears should be in "win now" mode, and getting Hunt is speculative at this point, and Hunt being eligible to play in 2019 is speculative at this point, so I think the Bears would be better off keeping Howard.

I would take a 5th round pick over the production that we got this season.

I think if you gave Howard a choice he would rather be on a team where he will get a consistent 20-25 touches and be more of the focal point of the offense. Being back in the Dowell Loggains offense is the best way for his numbers to be high and for him to maximize his 2020 contract. Getting 15 touches with Nagy and being the 4th option is not going to have his numbers where he wants. So while contractually he has no power to force anything, my guess is he would rather be somewhere else.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I think if you gave Howard a choice he would rather be on a team where he will get a consistent 20-25 touches and be more of the focal point of the offense. Being back in the Dowell Loggains offense is the best way for his numbers to be high and for him to maximize his 2020 contract. Getting 15 touches with Nagy and being the 4th option is not going to have his numbers where he wants. So while contractually he has no power to force anything, my guess is he would rather be somewhere else.

Of course. I thought most people "got that", even CCS people.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I would take a 5th round pick over the production that we got this season.

Windy, they're trying to win now. Keeping Howard gives them quality depth even if they get Hunt and draft another RB. Plus, he's a load at the goal line.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Windy, they're trying to win now. Keeping Howard gives them quality depth even if they get Hunt and draft another RB. Plus, he's a load at the goal line.

Depth at RB is the easiest thing we can find.

Trading Howard gets me a pick, 2 million dollars, and both of those can allow me to find a more dynamic player for the offense.

I am cool with trading Howard for a 5th and drafting a RB in the 4th round. At least we know Nagy is picking that RB and he will be making 1/4 as much as won't be a tug boat in the backfield.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
People say this, then Benny Cunningham and Taquan Mizzell end up getting postseason touches.

That was not forced. That was a coaching decision. A very weird coaching decision.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
You're right, there's no doubt Howard would be valuable in our RB corral, and Bears will surely add some RBs better suited to the scheme either way. So I don't think the Bears are feeling any pressure to trade him.

Still, as our #1 RB in 2018, it wasn't good enough, mainly cause he's not a good fit. If adding a 5th, or a good player swap, or using that $1.5mil savings, helps the Bears get a good replacement for Howard, I think it's better for both sides.

With cutting Mizzell & Cunningham, sign a better fit FA RB, a really good draft prospect and a UDFA... I think we'll be in much better shape. It's heading the right direction. Got to take some mild risks.

People say this, then Benny Cunningham and Taquan Mizzell end up getting postseason touches.
I wish Nagy/Pace would have added better RBs last offseason instead of sticking and settling for those two. They have to do better this time, right?