legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Just please, no more Mizzell or Cunningham.. If Nagy needs 4-5 RB's, then keep Howard, bring in Hunt and a draft pick to go with Cohen. Please use Cohen more like Hill, lurking around safeties, a gravitational pull in the secondary, not running sideline to sideline for negative yards...

Nagy's usage of the RB's last season was pretty embarrassing, especially considering Mitch's excellent scrambling ability, forcing defenders to account for him keeping.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Yall are acting like Howard will want to play behing Hunt.

See, what some people don't get, is Howard might NOT want to play here. He's on a contract year, with possibly his ONLY big payday coming up next year.

If we sign hunt, I really doubt JHow wants to get 125 carries a year as a battering ram RB. Trading him would be best for him, not just the team.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Why shouldn't we expect him to change? How do you know he wont?

True, not one ever changes.

I grew up as a product of domestic abuse. My father was a major alcoholic. He ended up going to rehab and cleaning up his act, my mother and him are still together now for 35 years.

People can change, I know, its shocking.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Sign Hunt and keep Howard. You can never have too many weapons on offense Nagy could have a 3 headed monster out of the back field for dirt cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then trade him if that becomes an issue. Until it’s an issue it’s a non issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
True, not one ever changes.

I grew up as a product of domestic abuse. My father was a major alcoholic. He ended up going to rehab and cleaning up his act, my mother and him are still together now for 35 years.

People can change, I know, its shocking.

That was my point.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
A 3rd? No one is going to offer a 3rd. Hell, Nick Foles is probably going to net a 3rd and he has a bit more value I would think.
Maybe have the coaching staff continue to work with him on his pass catching abilities and draft a RB you think can take over if he doesn’t improve.
Not sure why Ryan nall isn’t being considered for at least a backup role. He did show something in the preseason, more than Mizzell did, in my opinion
Yep, a 3rd won't happen. Over the last 5 years most valuable RB traded was Jay Ajayi (1.5 yrs left rookie contract), traded mid-season for a 4th.

Howard going for a 5th to a team that will use him is good for everyone.

Ryan Nail is not a potential Hunt-type, and he's not very good, so why bother? If we lose Howard, and don't get a RB about his size, then sign a rushing FB whos' also a good run blocker. = )

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Our coach put Benny Cunningham in a playoff game. Let that sink in.
On Special Teams? I forgot, what did he do in the game? Cunningham is an all-purpose back, who plays good STs, he was good for us. But with Nagy's system we need to draft/sign Hunt-types and see who sticks.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
On Special Teams? I forgot, what did he do in the game? Cunningham is an all-purpose back, who plays good STs, he was good for us. But with Nagy's system we need to draft/sign Hunt-types and see who sticks.

He got stuffed on a 3rd and short, but I think a penalty extended the drive anyway.

Meh, to Cunningham. Outside of Sherrick McManis and maybe Iggy I am not sure I am really putting much into the “good special teamer” label on this team. Our special teams were not good.

napo55

Liked Posts:
Why shouldn't we expect him to change? How do you know he wont?

Some do change. The point is it's a gamble. I think they can keep Howard and draft a very good RB in the 3rd or 4th rounds. Just my opinion.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Some do change. The point is it's a gamble. I think they can keep Howard and draft a very good RB in the 3rd or 4th rounds. Just my opinion.

But what if instead of drafting a RB, they draft a CB or S?

Do you know any All Pro CBs or S that they can get for dirt cheap? Because I know an All Pro RB they can get for peanuts and use their draft capital at more important positions

jive

Liked Posts:
Keep Howard unless offered a ridiculous trade. He'll have another year in the system, and he can still produce without costing much.
Skip Hunt. He could turn things around, or he couldn't. It's not worth the risk. KC lost him at the end of the season when they needed him the most. I'd hate to have that happen here, and he will be a distraction. Any team that signs Hunt will have the media pounce on them. Count on it.

This is a deep RB class. There's no reason why they Bears can't get a Hunt-like player in the 3rd-5th round. Since it's one of the first times in a long time that we don't have glaring holes, we might even be able to pick up 2. We definitely could with UDFAs. Then, it's just a matter of competition. Let Howard compete and showcase his skills for FA, and give the rookies time to develop. Drafting a RB in the mold of what you're looking for will be cheaper than signing one in FA.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Hunt.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
See, what some people don't get, is Howard might NOT want to play here. He's on a contract year, with possibly his ONLY big payday coming up next year.

What does this even mean? That an NFL player would actually sit out his contract year? Good lord.

If I were the Bears, I would hang on to Howard unless some team made me an offer I couldn't refuse (2nd round pick), which won't happen. The ideal situation is to keep Howard, sign Hunt, let Hunt serve his 4-8 game suspension with Howard getting his carries...then gradually work Hunt into the lineup so that he is fresh for the postseason.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What does this even mean? That an NFL player would actually sit out his contract year? Good lord.

If I were the Bears, I would hang on to Howard unless some team made me an offer I couldn't refuse (2nd round pick), which won't happen. The ideal situation is to keep Howard, sign Hunt, let Hunt serve his 4-8 game suspension with Howard getting his carries...then gradually work Hunt into the lineup so that he is fresh for the postseason.

Probably my choice, too. As long as they believe Hunt can be rehabilitated and stay out of trouble. Though not ideal, Howard is not a liability. Let Hunt sit and bring him back slowly. When was the last time the Bears took a chance on a guy with a bad rep?

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions

If we sign hunt, I really doubt JHow wants to get 125 carries a year as a battering ram RB. Trading him would be best for him, not just the team.

So by your own reasoning, f his contract expires next season and he plays here he would WANT to play well even if he would not want to play for CHI.

So if we do sign Hunt, we use Howard's eagerness to get that big payday and see if Hunt comes in and is up to his old self talent wise. A trade would be fine for both him and the team after Hunt comes back. Before then though, Howard better have his head in the game and prove to possible trade partners he can still play at a high level.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Keep Howard unless offered a ridiculous trade. He'll have another year in the system, and he can still produce without costing much.
Skip Hunt. He could turn things around, or he couldn't. It's not worth the risk. KC lost him at the end of the season when they needed him the most. I'd hate to have that happen here, and he will be a distraction. Any team that signs Hunt will have the media pounce on them. Count on it.

This is a deep RB class. There's no reason why they Bears can't get a Hunt-like player in the 3rd-5th round. Since it's one of the first times in a long time that we don't have glaring holes, we might even be able to pick up 2. We definitely could with UDFAs. Then, it's just a matter of competition. Let Howard compete and showcase his skills for FA, and give the rookies time to develop. Drafting a RB in the mold of what you're looking for will be cheaper than signing one in FA.

It is 100% worth the risk.

750K for a potential All Pro.

I would hate to be your financial adviser.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

He may want to go somewhere where he can be more productive and be an unquestioned starter, not a guy who is holding a seat for Hunt.

By holding on to him we deprive ourselves of a draft resource that we really could use right now. There is no telling whether Hunt will be back before the deadline or if Howard will retain any value on the trade market.

If Howard gets hurt, or does not produce, the Bears may be left without a potential draft pick.

jive

Liked Posts:
It is 100% worth the risk.

750K for a potential All Pro.

I would hate to be your financial adviser.

Do you think that Hunt would only get the league minimum? Do you think that the Bears would be the only team interested in signing Hunt?
Hunt, even with his troubles, will get more than the minimum with the team he signs because he still has a market. He won't get top dollar, but he's not going to be bargain basement either.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
He may want to go somewhere where he can be more productive and be an unquestioned starter, not a guy who is holding a seat for Hunt.

By holding on to him we deprive ourselves of a draft resource that we really could use right now. There is no telling whether Hunt will be back before the deadline or if Howard will retain any value on the trade market.

If Howard gets hurt, or does not produce, the Bears may be left without a potential draft pick.

I guess I didn't understand the whole idea that Howard might NOT want to play here when he's under contract for 2019. Yeah, he might not want to play here in 2020...or, he might want to play here in 2020...but usually free agency is a "highest bidder" type of thing. I'm not sure how that would factor into the equation...the Bears haven't offered an extension to Howard, and they aren't going to franchise tag him, so Howard being a FA in 2020 is essentially a given.

I am assuming that this entire discussion is based on the assumption that Howard's 2019 season will be his last as a Bear...I guess that assumption was wrong as msadows is just now bringing this new point to the table for consideration (?!).

What would be more beneficial to the Bears future...Jordan Howard being on the roster in 2019, or a 2019 6th round pick? I thought it was a simple question. I think the Bears should be in "win now" mode, and getting Hunt is speculative at this point, and Hunt being eligible to play in 2019 is speculative at this point, so I think the Bears would be better off keeping Howard.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Do you think that Hunt would only get the league minimum? Do you think that the Bears would be the only team interested in signing Hunt?
Hunt, even with his troubles, will get more than the minimum with the team he signs because he still has a market. He won't get top dollar, but he's not going to be bargain basement either.

Hunt has 2 years of accrued service, coming off a PR disaster, I am confident he gets a 2 year deal that recreates his rookie deal.