Can we all get behind Jordan Howard now?

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I read an interesting article which argued that Jordan Howard was struggling because he was no longer seeing any 8 man boxes. In prior years, teams crashed in on howard Immediately, which compressed 8 defenders all into the same level of the field (the line of scrimmage). All Howard had to do was make 1 quick cut and there were no defenders in the 2nd level for Howard to maneuver around.

This year, with the offense spread out, Howard saw the least amount of 8 man boxes in the NFL for a starting RB. Now Howard has to maneuver around defenders at every level, 1 cut is not going to spring him loose.

:thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I read an interesting article which argued that Jordan Howard was struggling because he was no longer seeing any 8 man boxes. In prior years, teams crashed in on howard Immediately, which compressed 8 defenders all into the same level of the field (the line of scrimmage). All Howard had to do was make 1 quick cut and there were no defenders in the 2nd level for Howard to maneuver around.

This year, with the offense spread out, Howard saw the least amount of 8 man boxes in the NFL for a starting RB. Now Howard has to maneuver around defenders at every level, 1 cut is not going to spring him loose.

stop the animosity CCS.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I usually agree, Windy, but he did have 1,300+ yards rushing his rookie year, and 1,100 his second. Almost 1,000 last year. He's not a good scheme fit, I'll give you that. I don't think he'll be here beyond 2020. But he's not a BAD rb.

He is not bad. But he is not a special talent.

I just think he is a grinder. He is going to grind you 1000 yards with not a ton of explosive plays.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Howard has had 25 carries in a game 3 times in his career. He was 2nd in the NFL in rushing yards his rookie year with 5.2 yards per carry....not exactly Matt Suhey grinding out 3 yard gains. I don't think the issue is really the 'amount' of usage with Howard, as he still has games where he gets a normal workload and he's proven in the past that he can be efficient.

I thought it was interesting that when Trubisky came back from injury, Nagy seemingly dumbed down the offense and Howard had his best yards per carry games against two playoff-caliber defenses in the Rams (19-101-5.3) and Vikes (21-109-5.2).

He did get better later in the season.

But the Rams were 23rd and Vikings 15th against the run so, playoff calibre but not really stout rushing defenses.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He did get better later in the season.

But the Rams were 23rd and Vikings 15th against the run so, playoff calibre but not really stout rushing defenses.

He got better because Nagy increased zone running to 74% and he averages 4.1 in zone and 2.9 in gap.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
He is not a special player

He is not even the best RB on the team

He is gone in 2020

I am not sure we need to really defend him. It looks like we are going to grind him for one more year and let him leave.

I'm assuming you think Cohen is a better RB than Howard? That's laughable. Cohen is a borderline WR who can't really carry the full load of a 3 down back. He's suspect in pass protection as well.

Cohen is explosive yes, but he's definitely NOT a better RB than Howard.

Visionman

Liked Posts:

This is 100% true. Instead of defenders having to go sideline to sideline or chasing him down, they just rally up to the ball from their positions in coverage.

But it still doesnt explain the fact that Howard should have been able to expose those light boxes for regular 4-6 yard gains before those back 7 defenders rallied up to make the play. He still had issues finding and hitting the hole, and breaking some easy arm tackles. So he didnt have the longer runs, but he never made the most of the shorter ones, either...

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers

So basically he’s not a fit for a modern offense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This is 100% true. Instead of defenders having to go sideline to sideline or chasing him down, they just rally up to the ball from their positions in coverage.

But it still doesnt explain the fact that Howard should have been able to expose those light boxes for regular 4-6 yard gains before those back 7 defenders rallied up to make the play. He still had issues finding and hitting the hole, and breaking some easy arm tackles. So he didnt have the longer runs, but he never made the most of the shorter ones, either...

There is no finding and hitting the hold in a gap blocking scheme. The hole is predefined and limited ability to cut back. What he had trouble with is that if the blocking wasn't there where the hole was suppose to be, his cutback options were limited so he was just running into a wall.

In essence the gap blocking eliminated his vision and ability to cut back and he is not the type of runner that can hit the hole hard with acceleration before the D closes down on the whole.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
There is no finding and hitting the hold in a gap blocking scheme. The hole is predefined and limited ability to cut back. What he had trouble with is that if the blocking wasn't there where the hole was suppose to be, his cutback options were limited so he was just running into a wall.

In essence the gap blocking eliminated his vision and ability to cut back and he is not the type of runner that can hit the hole hard with acceleration before the D closes down on the whole.

So he's merely average. Understood.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So he's merely average. Understood.

His production his first two years would suggest otherwise. Just think Fox knew how to deploy him and Nagy did not initially.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
His production his first two years would suggest otherwise. Just think Fox knew how to deploy him and Nagy did not initially.

Sure. If you run a sucky offense and constantly feed Howard the ball, he can perform decently. If you want to go back to that....have fun.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

His YPC is dropping faster than the crypto market. Had a full yard drop off from year 1 to 2 then another half yard drop in the 3rd.

Howard has had a ton of wear and tear last 5 years. Was a workhorse at Toledo with a 300 carry season. He’s a physical runner so that’s gonna take a toll.

You know you are on the losing side of an argument and reaching when you start praising John Fox’s offensive sensibilities. Classic remy.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Sure. If you run a sucky offense and constantly feed Howard the ball, he can perform decently. If you want to go back to that....have fun.

He performed fine in zone blocking scheme in one of our most impressive wins ie Minny.

His YPC is dropping faster than the crypto market. Had a full yard drop off from year 1 to 2 then another half yard drop in the 3rd.

Howard has had a ton of wear and tear last 5 years. Was a workhorse at Toledo with a 300 carry season. He’s a physical runner so that’s gonna take a toll.

You know you are on the losing side of an argument and reaching when you start praising John Fox’s offensive sensibilities. Classic remy.

Well when he is 2.9 in gap blocking and you run 40% of it then yes it will dropp.

It dropped last year because he faced 8 men 43% of time which was near top of NFL. 27% year before. It helps when you actually analyze the numbers.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He is not bad. But he is not a special talent.

I just think he is a grinder. He is going to grind you 1000 yards with not a ton of explosive plays.

So, 1,000 yards doesn't mean much any more? I mean, I agree he's not elite, but you don't expect that where we have drafted. I thought we had a thunder/lightning thing with him and Cohen. I mean, sure, if we had a back that could do it ALL that would be great. Is it just a bad scheme fit?

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Only nine RBs rushed for over 1000 yards last year. The most was EE with 1434. (Barkley had 2020 total yards from scrimmage, EE with 2001.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So, 1,000 yards doesn't mean much any more? I mean, I agree he's not elite, but you don't expect that where we have drafted. I thought we had a thunder/lightning thing with him and Cohen. I mean, sure, if we had a back that could do it ALL that would be great. Is it just a bad scheme fit?

I think he limits the offense.

What are you sacrificing for that 1000 yards? Are there more explosive plays to be had? More dynamic use of those 15-18 carries.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Only nine RBs rushed for over 1000 yards last year. The most was EE with 1434. (Barkley had 2020 total yards from scrimmage, EE with 2001.

1000 yards is a fine bench mark, but he accomplished both of those numbers in bad offenses that had to rely on him to carry the load. If he had done it in a good offense that was producing outside of him I think it would have more merit.

It is like a basketball player that leads his team in shots and doesn’t have a lot around him, I expect him to average 20 points. But Nagy doesn’t want to dump it into the post for 20 points. He wants to fast break and shoot 3s and the big man doesn’t fit anymore.

His production has also declined in 3 straight years. There may be a physical component to this as well.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
i just can't believe all these nerds have given up on Ja. Howa.