Fangio on Bears roster

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Not disagreeing...the magic disappeared. It happens. It happens faster when you aren't picking in the top 10.

And he lost 2 1sts for Cutler. But DespBro said it was worth it.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
And he lost 2 1sts for Cutler. But DespBro said it was worth it.

It was a win-win...the complaint against Angelo was "he can't draft well in the 1st round!"...then when he traded 2 1sts for Cutler, those same people said "What are they doing trading away 1st round picks?!". As we all know, the problem wasn't that Angelo parted with 2 1st round picks in a trade, the problem was the return for those picks was Jay Cutler.

Its interesting how nowadays teams are loath to give away a 1st round pick in a trade...much less two 1st round picks. I wonder if Cutler was the last NFL player ever traded for two 1st round picks...I remember Joey Galloway was traded to Dallas (!) for two 1st round picks, but I think that was prior to Cutler.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If I remember it was a toss up between White and Cooper, had Cooper been the pick, probably no Arob.

Cooper was gone. Top rated players were White and Beasley. Ereck Flowers and Gurley were next. Flowers has been a disappointment. Gurley was coming off a late ACL and had served a 4 game suspension. White had no baggage when drafted. Very difficult to know how White would have turned out without the ding so meh.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
It was a win-win...the complaint against Angelo was "he can't draft well in the 1st round!"...then when he traded 2 1sts for Cutler, those same people said "What are they doing trading away 1st round picks?!". As we all know, the problem wasn't that Angelo parted with 2 1st round picks in a trade, the problem was the return for those picks was Jay Cutler.

Its interesting how nowadays teams are loath to give away a 1st round pick in a trade...much less two 1st round picks. I wonder if Cutler was the last NFL player ever traded for two 1st round picks...I remember Joey Galloway was traded to Dallas (!) for two 1st round picks, but I think that was prior to Cutler.

The collective bargaining agreement changed rookie contracts (around 2011?). Remember Sam Bradford got like $50mil guaranteed before playing a snap. High draft picks are much more valuable now because they're so cost controlled.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Mack, though we got some back.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Cooper was gone. Top rated players were White and Beasley. Ereck Flowers and Gurley were next. Flowers has been a disappointment. Gurley was coming off a late ACL and had served a 4 game suspension. White had no baggage when drafted. Very difficult to know how White would have turned out without the ding so meh.

Who knew that, in retrospect, "limited route tree" would be the LEAST of Kevin White's problems when compared to everything else, including car thievery?

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Probably when the Bears stopped drafting in the top part of the 1st round because they were actually winning games and playing in the postseason. Same thing will probably happen to Pace.

Luckily his track record of getting high quality starters in the middle rounds shoots holes in this narrative so far. Let's hope the that doesn't change.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Well, you did have a few of the “Snail’s Pace” posters who clearly didn’t get it. You also had a bunch of others who thought it would take longer. I think sometimes it takes time to look back on a team to really evaluate the team. Emery wasn’t very good. Looks like Pace is, so maybe we can look forward to success and stability.

More than a few....

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
I also like to keep in mind that we traded two top picks for Cutler in '09 & '10 - kinda like we did for Mack - and the impact doesn't hit you for a few years later. I think Emery came around in '12, we fell apart in '13 and '14.

I expect the loss of draft picks will really hurt in '22 & '23 because most rookies need a year or so to truly impact the roster.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Luckily his track record of getting high quality starters in the middle rounds shoots holes in this narrative so far. Let's hope the that doesn't change.

HA HA HA! What "narrative"? Pace has yet to draft from a position outside the top 10.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
What does that have to do with Pace's record of getting quality starters in the middle rounds?

HUH? So Pace HAS drafted from a position outside the top 10 and what I said is merely a "narrative"? Pace hitting on some mid-round picks changed history?

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Probably when the Bears stopped drafting in the top part of the 1st round because they were actually winning games and playing in the postseason. Same thing will probably happen to Pace.

LOL. Really?

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
LOL. Really?

Yeah...that's how the NFL cycle is designed. Bad teams become good after drafting high in every round for 4 straight years...good teams become bad after drafting low in every round for 4 straight years. Welcome to the NFL!

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
HUH? So Pace HAS drafted from a position outside the top 10 and what I said is merely a "narrative"? Pace hitting on some mid-round picks changed history?

WTF are you even talking about?

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Yeah...that's how the NFL cycle is designed. Bad teams become good after drafting high in every round for 4 straight years...good teams become bad after drafting low in every round for 4 straight years. Welcome to the NFL!

It's like you literally know nothing about Angelo's draft picks.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
HA HA HA! What "narrative"? Pace has yet to draft from a position outside the top 10.

Maybe come back with a lil less emotion Rory and re-read my post.

Drafting in the top 10 of the first round means nothing when it comes to finding talent in rounds 2-7, especially when the team trades both up and down and back into specific rounds to find talent.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Maybe come back with a lil less emotion Rory and re-read my post.

Drafting in the top 10 of the first round means nothing when it comes to finding talent in rounds 2-7, especially when the team trades both up and down and back into specific rounds to find talent.

What "narrative" were you referencing in my posting? Simple question. Not really related to teams trading "both up and down and back"...great synopsis, BTW.