NFC North rookie grades: Bears bag trio of early-round studs

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
RANK
A-
CHICAGO BEARS

Round 1: (8) Roquan Smith, LB, 16 games/14 starts.
Round 2: (39) James Daniels, OG/C, 16 games/10 starts; (51) Anthony Miller, WR, 15 games/4 starts.
Round 4: (115) Joel Iyiegbuniwe, LB, 16 games/0 starts.
Round 5: (145) Bilal Nichols, DT, 14 games/6 starts.
Round 6: (181) Kylie Fitts, DE, 6 games/0 starts.
Round 7: (224) Javon Wims, WR, 4 games/0 starts.
Notable rookie FA signings: Kevin Toliver, DB, 15 games/1 start.

Few clubs reaped a better haul from the first two rounds of the 2018 draft than Chicago. After sweating out a testy and lengthy holdout with Smith over some restrictive contract language, the two sides made up and wreaked havoc on the NFC. Smith completed a nasty linebacking corps featuring Danny Trevathan and edge rushers Khalil Mack and Leonard Floyd, leading the team in tackles (121) and making himself an obvious PFWA All-Rookie honoree. Drafted as a center, Daniels filled in at guard for Eric Kush and started from Week 8 on, holding his own against the likes of Sheldon Richardson and Aaron Donald down the stretch. Miller proved a key part of Chicago's revamped receiving corps, leading the team in touchdown receptions (seven) and TD percentage (21.2). A favorite of Mitchell Trubisky's, Miller should be a starter alongside Allen Robinson in 2019. That trio alone makes this class one of the year's best, regardless of the additions that came afterward. Nichols was the only rookie from the last five rounds to stand out in his first season, racking up as many sacks (three) as interior linemates Roy Robertson-Harris and Eddie Goldman, despite playing fewer defensive snaps than either player.

Combine/free agency focus: Chicago holds just five draft picks at the moment, and only one in the first two days (a late third-rounder). That's what general manager Ryan Pace gets for trading for Mack and trading up for Miller. We'd say it was worth it. The Bears don't boast a lot of cap space, but they don't have much to tinker with, either. Their most important impending free agents are probably cornerback Bryce Callahan and safety Adrian Amos, whose rookie deal is up but who is entering a safety-rich market that, last offseason, led some to sign for less than expected. If the Bears want to open up space for both to stay, they could add $6 million in cap room by parting with Dion Sims. Other than the secondary, the only position left to fill is kicker. Cody Parkey probably ain't comin' back, not after he sat down with Savannah and Hoda. Chicago already signed a potential replacement in Redford Jones, but that position battle will be the most closely watched one by Bears fans and Goose Island imbibers all offseason.

RANK
B
DETROIT LIONS

----------------------------------

RANK
B
GREEN BAY PACKERS

----------------------------------

RANK
B-
MINNESOTA VIKINGS

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...kie-grades-bears-bag-trio-of-earlyround-studs

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hope that Pace and crew can keep fresh young talent coming in Halas Hall.

While Pace has been far from perfect, he has certainly brought in talent. That is undeniable. While it seems most have already made up their minds on Trubisky's career success or failure, the QB position will be the ultimate arbiter of Pace's legacy and whether he can bring in a championship. Time will tell and it will likely be in the next 3 years.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I am still not sold on Anthony Miller. He has potential but is still a work in progress, IMO. Yeah 7 TDs (and the article doubles-down by saying Miller 'also' led the team in TD percentage, even though Bradley Sowell was at 100%!), but I think its a stretch to call Miller a "favorite" of Trubisky's...I would put him behind Arob, Gabriel, Cohen & Burton in terms of "favorites", then after Miller you are getting into Josh Bellamy territory, so it really isn't saying much.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Miller was more opportunistic than a favorite. Personally I think Smith, Daniels and Nichols were the 3 top draft guys for NFL success.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I am still not sold on Anthony Miller. He has potential but is still a work in progress, IMO. Yeah 7 TDs (and the article doubles-down by saying Miller 'also' led the team in TD percentage, even though Bradley Sowell was at 100%!), but I think its a stretch to call Miller a "favorite" of Trubisky's...I would put him behind Arob, Gabriel, Cohen & Burton in terms of "favorites", then after Miller you are getting into Josh Bellamy territory, so it really isn't saying much.

I kind of agree. I think Miller still has much to show and for some reason he disappeared from the gameplan or Trubisky just stopped looking his way. What I would really like to see is him taking Gabriel's starting role though. We'll see how that shakes out.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:

I feel like people would be much higher on Miller if Trubisky didn't overthrow half the balls he threw to him or actually threw him the ball on all the plays where he was running wide open and Trubs never saw him. But yeah, I agree it's a bit of stretch to call him the "favorite" at this point. I don't think Trubs has a particular "favorite" (which I think is a good thing as I'd rather him spread it around to whoever is open than force it into his "favorite" guy) but if anyone is close to being that type of guy it's Robinson IMO.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
I think Miller and Nichols both take the next step to becoming starters next year. If both can start next year then this is a very good class, Toliver showed hes a good depth Corner and has starter talent. Iggy was a good ST player and should also improve,

If Wimms and Fitts can provide anything then this class is a home run IMO

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I kind of agree. I think Miller still has much to show and for some reason he disappeared from the gameplan or Trubisky just stopped looking his way. What I would really like to see is him taking Gabriel's starting role though. We'll see how that shakes out.

I suspect Miller didn't quite have a handle on all the WR positions like the vets. Hopefully he will pick that up this offseason and thus be able to play more on the outside as well as in the slot. Think he had around 27% of his snaps out wide.

Camden Cutler

Black Boy Fly
Liked Posts:
this is going to end up being the draft that keeps us competing for awhile

i see four picks (yep i am counting wims this early) that are winners

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Wimms and Fitts can provide anything then this class is a home run IMO

I am already a huge fan of this draft because without moving from his spot in the draft...Ryan Pace finally hit a Home Run in the first round.

Watching Roquan this season was a delight and look forward to watching him for another decade or so.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I feel like people would be much higher on Miller if Trubisky didn't overthrow half the balls he threw to him or actually threw him the ball on all the plays where he was running wide open and Trubs never saw him. But yeah, I agree it's a bit of stretch to call him the "favorite" at this point. I don't think Trubs has a particular "favorite" (which I think is a good thing as I'd rather him spread it around to whoever is open than force it into his "favorite" guy) but if anyone is close to being that type of guy it's Robinson IMO.

This is a fair synopsis. Some of Mitch's most egregious misses were targets for Miller. He could have easily had another three TDs last season.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Miller needs work on his routes. The team spread the ball around so much that it is hard to really pinpoint a "favorite" of Mitch