Edge Shopping on a Budget

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I think if the price is right they should get a proven producer.

If Cam Wake wants a chance at a ring and. 1 year deal I am in.

It is close the fucking deal time in the playoffs, the Bears need proven ass kickers over speculative potential guys.
Suggs or Wake, make offer to both. Similar stats, but Suggs slightly better stats last year but with 227 more snaps, and Suggs is a year younger.

Suggs stats over Wake:
2018: Suggs +1 sack, +2 games, +1 PD, plus a TD, +227 snaps
2017: Suggs +0.5 sack, +13 tackles, +3 PDs, +230 snaps

Colonel_Buendia

Liked Posts:
If Baltimore doesn't bring back Suggs he should 100% be the guy. DPOY under Pagano - obvious scheme fit and can help the rest of the players learn the defense. Immediate impact and strong culture fit. Doesn't tie us up beyond 2019 so if Irving continues to develop we can still have $ for him down the road. Based on his recent deal and comparable players (Peppers, Harrison) 1yr/5m is probably pretty close to accurate, and that's easily doable with a quick restructure. No brainer to add another HOF player to this defense. We're in win now mode.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Suggs or Wake, make offer to both. Similar stats, but Suggs slightly better stats last year but with 227 more snaps, and Suggs is a year younger.

2018: Suggs +1 sack, +2 games, +1 PD, plus a TD, +227 snaps
2017: Suggs +0.5 sack, +13 tackles, +3 PDs, +230 snaps
But Wake is putting up near identical numbers on about 70% of the snaps Suggs plays. The guy the Bears will be looking for will not need to be a snap count monster, just effective when in the game. That favors Wake slightly. If you add in QB hits Wake has 44 vs Suggs 35 over the last 2 seasons so his QB pressure per snap is way above what Suggs is getting. Just sayin'

Edit: just did the math and it is a QB sack/hit rate per snap of 5.30% for Wake vs 3.30% for Suggs. That is all snaps, a quick Ask Jeeves search didn't return results for player pass snap #'s.

Last edited:

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
If the Bears are STILL shopping for FA edge rushers, then I'm not sure why they would offer Leonard Floyd a second contract after 2019.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If the Bears are STILL shopping for FA edge rushers, then I'm not sure why they would offer Leonard Floyd a second contract after 2019.

You need a #3, good chance Lynch walks and I am not sure Irving is ready for that spotlight.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
You need a #3, good chance Lynch walks and I am not sure Irving is ready for that spotlight.

I would guess there is a far greater chance of the Bears re-signing Lynch than luring Suggs away from BAL or Matthews away from GB.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I would guess there is a far greater chance of the Bears re-signing Lynch than luring Suggs away from BAL or Matthews away from GB.

Possibly.

The issue is that Lynch may get a multi year deal that they are less than interested in matching. Guys with less production than him were getting 3/12 and 3/15 deals last season.

It would make more sense from a comp pick position to bring Lynch back as well as he would not count against there total free agents signed.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
What do you think is more important:

Kicking the tires on a young player who 'might do better in Chicago' and can be signed long term?

Or getting a more sure thing contributor, especially as a pass rusher in the 6-11 sack range, regardless of age?

Since we're ready to win now then i'm good with signing the older vets to one year deals that can not only bring it on the field but guys like T.Suggs is a great vocal leader that would absolutely help on the field and in the locker room.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
But Wake is putting up near identical numbers on about 70% of the snaps Suggs plays. The guy the Bears will be looking for will not need to be a snap count monster, just effective when in the game. That favors Wake slightly. If you add in QB hits Wake has 44 vs Suggs 35 over the last 2 seasons so his QB pressure per snap is way above what Suggs is getting. Just sayin'

Edit: just did the math and it is a QB sack/hit rate per snap of 5.30% for Wake vs 3.30% for Suggs. That is all snaps, a quick Ask Jeeves search didn't return results for player pass snap #'s.

I'm thinking Wake will definitely cost more then Suggs though and unfortunately we all know our cap situation so depending on how much more would make my choice between the two. The things that draws me to Suggs in his connection with Pagano and how much of a leader he is and how vocal he is and how he always looks like he's having so much fun out there. But if i was just going off of production and the price was the same then i would say Wake would be more productive on the field.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Since we're ready to win now then i'm good with signing the older vets to one year deals that can not only bring it on the field but guys like T.Suggs is a great vocal leader that would absolutely help on the field and in the locker room.

agree

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I'm thinking Wake will definitely cost more then Suggs though and unfortunately we all know our cap situation so depending on how much more would make my choice between the two. The things that draws me to Suggs in his connection with Pagano and how much of a leader he is and how vocal he is and how he always looks like he's having so much fun out there. But if i was just going off of production and the price was the same then i would say Wake would be more productive on the field.

#literallywake

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thanks, Windy. Your posts are ones that I ALWAYS read. Much appreciation.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I guess the question is would people rather have Wake on a 1 year deal or Lynch on a 3 year deal at 4/season.

I am torn, it is a good point from Rory, Lynch is only 25 and had some really high level moments where you saw what he could be.

Tough call. But if Amos and Callahan both walk, you would have the cash for Lynch if you wanted to go that way.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:

Agreed. Wake is more efficient per snap. Top choice at that aspect. And although 14 games last year is good, Suggs had back-to-back 16 games, with more snaps, and is a year younger. He has a durability edge. I don't know much about their characters. But I'd quickly and intensely pursue both and get one of the two.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I guess the question is would people rather have Wake on a 1 year deal or Lynch on a 3 year deal at 4/season.

I am torn, it is a good point from Rory, Lynch is only 25 and had some really high level moments where you saw what he could be.

Tough call. But if Amos and Callahan both walk, you would have the cash for Lynch if you wanted to go that way.
Lynch did do well. He can produce. But, yet again he did have injury issues last year. I think Wake or Suggs would be more productive all-around. Hopefully they're in the $ range your quoting.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Suggs then Ray.
Fkkk Clay

Mitchapalooza

Wonder if Suggs would come here with the Pagano connection.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

Lynch gives me the feeling of that guy that teases you with spurts of great play but never puts it together consistently.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Lynch gives me the feeling of that guy that teases you with spurts of great play but never puts it together consistently.

Which as a #3 is probably okay.

I thought he was good with the reps that he had this season. He mixed in some splash plays, which were more than I expected.