Who is Chicago sports fans favorite athlete?

PrimeTime

Knowledge Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I posted this because I was listening to some talking head on Sirius and he said Bryce Harper would instantly become Chicago fans favorite athlete. The shiny new toy will always be popular like Mack last year but would Bryce instantly be the local fan favorite?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Novoitus

Mitch Trubisky Fan
Liked Posts:
it's going to be a player from the Bears or it's going to be nobody

PrimeTime

Knowledge Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
it's going to be a player from the Bears or it's going to be nobody
Who? No one on offense. Mack would be the only Bear that may be more popular than Harper but if the Cubs win it again after acquiring Harper he would easily become more popular than any player on a team that hasn't won a championship in 30 years.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
if it's not Mack, I assume it has to be one of the Cubs(Rizzo/Bryant). My personal favorites are Eddie Jackson and Lauri Markkanen

Porkchop

Liked Posts:
Who? No one on offense. Mack would be the only Bear that may be more popular than Harper but if the Cubs win it again after acquiring Harper he would easily become more popular than any player on a team that hasn't won a championship in 30 years.

The only way Harper is coming to Chicago this season is if he takes up residence on the South Side, and even that is looking less and less likely by the day.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
There are no other pro sports teams in Chicago besides the Bears....

PrimeTime

Knowledge Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Funny, being that every other Chicago sports team has won at least one Championship since the shitty Bears did.
I wont be surprised if Kane is more popular among Chicago fans than any current Bear. Championships matter.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I wont be surprised if Kane is more popular among Chicago fans than any current Bear. Championships matter.

Average Chicago sports fans = Fairweather fans

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
We don't really have a face of the franchise/household name on the Bears. It could be Mack in a few years. IMO offensive guys get that status easier.

At this point I still agree with Cowherd...we have a bunch of guys. Especially true on offense where gaining citywide fame is easier because you score points.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
We don't really have a face of the franchise/household name on the Bears. It could be Mack in a few years. IMO offensive guys get that status easier.

At this point I still agree with Cowherd...we have a bunch of guys. Especially true on offense where gaining citywide fame is easier because you score points.

I'd rather have "just a bunch of guys" who win, than a big name who is on a losing team...

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Bears QB is almost always the most loved, hated or both. Mitch will put his stamp on one of those next year.

BBBF

Liked Posts:
It should be Kane or Mack, but I don't think there has been a clear favorite since MVP year Rose. I have a hard time thinking it would be anyone out of baseball

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
The Bears QB is almost always the most loved, hated or both. Mitch will put his stamp on one of those next year.

I don't really agree with this. I think most of the time, the Bears QB is loved. Rex Grossman wasn't ever REALLY criticized other than his New Year's Eve party planning. I remember in the 80's Steve Fuller was beyond terrible, yet he still got his own McDonald's SB XX trading card. Fans loved the scrappy guys like McMahon, Jim Miller, etc. even if they weren't really 'great' QBs.

I would argue that Cutler wasn't even "hated" to the extent his poor performance warranted. The media eventually ran out of excuses for him, though.

Mitch is already "loved", and it would take some type of criminal activity to change that, IMO.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't really agree with this. I think most of the time, the Bears QB is loved. Rex Grossman wasn't ever REALLY criticized other than his New Year's Eve party planning. I remember in the 80's Steve Fuller was beyond terrible, yet he still got his own McDonald's SB XX trading card. Fans loved the scrappy guys like McMahon, Jim Miller, etc. even if they weren't really 'great' QBs.

I would argue that Cutler wasn't even "hated" to the extent his poor performance warranted. The media eventually ran out of excuses for him, though.

Mitch is already "loved", and it would take some type of criminal activity to change that, IMO.

I disagree. I thought Grossman/Orton/Miller were shit from day one. I think a lot of our fans are frustrated with poor QB play and can see thru the bullshit when they watch the games.

Most of us were high on Cutler the first few years, but any rational fan gave up the excuses and saw him for the turnover machine he was.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
How would you even measure this? I guess you could do a poll if the sample size was sufficient to get an accurate representation across fanbases for all the teams. If there was a way to measure this empirically, I think it would be hard for a baseball player to win since fans would be split across two teams.

Last edited:

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
If there was a way to measure this empirically, I think it would be hard for a baseball player to win since fans would be split across two teams.

True. And on one of those teams, none of the players speak English.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I don't really disagree either but the backup QB is often favored here, LOL. All fits in the same envelope.