Opening Day Roster

chibears55

Liked Posts:
From the Trib

2. Ian Happ making a push to start at second base.

Ian Happ took grounders at second base this weekend and informed Maddon he wants to be an option there.

“He’s still a work in progress,” Maddon said of Happ. “We’d like him to be a little smoother, but he’s effective.”

Happ wanted to play second base shortly after he was signed by the Cubs in 2015 but played only two games there in 2018. Maddon believes Happ can improve his range to his right and in making backhanded stops. Maddon added that Happ’s strong arm helps him.

“He’s not the Spalding Guide all the time, but he’s pretty effective out there,” Maddon said. “It’s just repetition.”

Maddon said there are no plans to move Addison Russell from shortstop.
Lol...

That cute

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Lol...

That cute

I thought that you would like it.

But honestly here. They have this in the moment mentality and their decisions are more fluid than programmed.

I take the Castro Russell situation in case. They didn't push Castro off SS when Russell came up. That would have been a programming. It happen in season after Castro degraded as a defender.

So I would just look at this as they are just going to let the players performance dectate the choice. Now payroll will also factor. This Ties into you believing that they would actually eat Chatwood's deal. That will never happen with Tom Ricketts.

I would love to just say-Aug Russell out. But we can't. Tom has stuck his neck out on this and is giving Russell the opertunity to make this right. That is honesty it with this situation. If he implodes sure they have no choice then. But they did make a decision to retain. They tried to trade and no one wanted him. Then is was not offer. Or to offer a contract. That choice confirmed that SS is Russell's job and Baez is holding the fort.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
If all 5 starters only go 5 innings in all their starts in April, the team in trouble

Plus

Even if that happens, Chatwood would only be available to go his 4 innings if he last that long once every 5 days
So, it doesn't help the pen much

Chatwood has no spot on the roster unless one of the starters or Montgomery goes on the DL

The average start in the NL last year was 5.45 IP.

Your perception of how long starts typically go these days is just off. 6-7 inning starts are no longer the norm.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
The average start in the NL last year was 5.45 IP.

Your perception of how long starts typically go these days is just off. 6-7 inning starts are no longer the norm.
I get that as an average

He was saying that all 5 starters wont pitch more then 5 innings in April, so Chatwood would then piggy back them

I would hope to see a few 6+ outings in there, otherwise the pen will be gassed by May

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Not alot of news about it, but Zobrist is excused from spring training due to some family issue, so there might be room for that extra pitcher when most teams use a 4 man rotation due to rain outs.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I get that as an average

He was saying that all 5 starters wont pitch more then 5 innings in April, so Chatwood would then piggy back them

I would hope to see a few 6+ outings in there, otherwise the pen will be gassed by May

I doubt that the rotation will push past the 5th until May. It happens with some rubber arm starters but starters like Yu who are heavy strike out pitchers will rack up the PC and post injury they are not going to work up the innings in the shit weather where you can't warm up easily.

It is just reality and I expect 9 in the pen. Add to it it wouldn't be shocking if Montgomery stalls it is Mills as Chatwood's counter as he can add a inning or 2 to give the pen a break.

This will normalize by the time Russell is back it should line up fine to get back to a 8 man pen in May. The weather should be less wet and the starters on 100 PC normal. That way a 2 inning guy is just for a bad start.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Make that the 6th. Actually I could see Yu and Hendricks pulled earlier in general. Lester and Hamels are work horse and should pile up innings early. Q short leash. Just saying.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Don't discount the idea of a 6 starter rotation later in the season either. If Chatwood can find some worth and the Cubs have a bunch of rain out again, an extra starter might no be a horrible idea.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Don't discount the idea of a 6 starter rotation later in the season either. If Chatwood can find some worth and the Cubs have a bunch of rain out again, an extra starter might no be a horrible idea.

Maybe. You never know but it is very rare when a team has less than 7 guys logging in a GS.