Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Cody Parkey is so loathsome and the desire to rid the Bears of this scourge has caused a knee jerk desire to bring back Robbie Gould. While having him back would likely settle the K position for the short term, it has consequences.

The obvious one is that at 36, at any point, he could physically fall of the cliff and become...well...Cody Parkey-ish. Add in that he will take a large amount of money to sign, he will likely take away a possible descent depth signing in FA at a position of need with Chicago's limited cap space.

But the cost that this post was meant to discuss is his cost in draft pick. The Bears are positioned to receive compensatory picks for Amos and/or Callahan if one or both leave via FA. Both look to get contracts that may make them as high as 4th rd comp picks. Signing depth picks elsewhere won't likely impact comp picks, but Robbie Gould would likely be a comp pick qualifier and cost the Bears a comp pick.

Windy mentioned that lower comp picks don't offset higher ones, but OTC doesn't see it that way. They say if no lower rnd comp pick is there to offset, then a higher pick can be offset. As A. Lynch is the only other Bear FA that possibly could fall into the comp pool,if he doesn't would you be willing to forfeit a 4th for Gould? Even if he does, say at a 6th, would you sign Gould with that in mind?

Here is an example from OTC:pitt gained 2 lower comp eligible picks and the first offset a higher pick they lost.

Pittsburgh Steelers
Qualifying UFAs Lost: 1------------------------------Qualifying UFAs Gained: 2
Name ------------Rd.-------------APY ------Rank ----------Name --------------Rd----------APY----------Rank
Chris Hubbard---4-----------$7,220,000--181-----------Morgan Burnett-------6-------$4,750,000-----368
-----------------------------------------------------------------Jon Bosticc------------7-------$2,000,000------640

https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks/

A CFA gained will only cancel out a CFA lost with a higher draft order if there are no other CFAs lost available to cancel out.

Last edited:

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
It depends on what type of contract the Bears and Gould agree to. Either way, Gould has all the leverage.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It depends on what type of contract the Bears and Gould agree to. Either way, Gould has all the leverage.

Finally... he will be able to feed his family.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
He’s worth it question is can we afford it

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Having Gould back would be great especially since he's already proven he can kick in Chicago, but i just can't see how not only eating the money we'd have to eat for cutting Parkey but the money it would cost to get Gould can work for us and our cap situation. If we didn't have two big needs at S and NB/Slot along a couple others then i could see it but that's a lot of money to spend on the kicker position. But when there's a very good chance that if we had Gould this year we would of had a better record and might of been playing past the 1st round of the playoffs then spending that kind of money on the kicker position seems to make much more sense.

I'm sure i'm all by myself on this but i could see Parkey turning it around and having a good year next year with whoever he's kicking for and he will be kicking for someone cause he's proven himself to be a legit kicker in the NFL before the Bears got him. Kickers are very fickle so a lot of times the ones that have a bad year will turn around and have a good year the following year. If we couldn't find a way to get Gould or another legit kicker in a way that won't hurt us too bad against the cap then i'd have no problem starting the year with Parkey and let him kick on a game by game status. If he cost us a game then i'd go to plan B and there's always kickers sitting out there in free agency that have done good things in the NFL. It sure would help us cap wise to be able to stick with him and see if he can get right back to being the kicker we thought we were signing.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No way it's going to happen. They won't invest that much of the cap into that position...they can't and they won't. You can find both kickers and punters that are serviceable that go undrafted or unsigned. If they are smart, that's where they should be looking.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Too expensive; too old.

I really wish we'd draft a kicker to groom long term. This draft is shot anyway.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would like to have him on the Bears. It not sure it is realistic. I have a hard time imagining a scenario where Parkey is back. There will be plenty of talent in FA and late draft picks. Or even UDFA.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
If Gould really wants to be here, he will sign for a very team friendly deal. No way we pay him what he could get from another team.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Thomas Wolfe said: You can never go home, bitches

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
If Gould really wants to be here, he will sign for a very team friendly deal. No way we pay him what he could get from another team.

Maybe. The bears also cut him so I’m sure that stings a little bit. But more importantly, this is more than likely his last chance for a significant payday. He might really want to be here, but probably not enough to leave multi millions on the table.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Having Gould back would be great especially since he's already proven he can kick in Chicago, but i just can't see how not only eating the money we'd have to eat for cutting Parkey but the money it would cost to get Gould can work for us and our cap situation. If we didn't have two big needs at S and NB/Slot along a couple others then i could see it but that's a lot of money to spend on the kicker position. But when there's a very good chance that if we had Gould this year we would of had a better record and might of been playing past the 1st round of the playoffs then spending that kind of money on the kicker position seems to make much more sense.

I'm sure i'm all by myself on this but i could see Parkey turning it around and having a good year next year with whoever he's kicking for and he will be kicking for someone cause he's proven himself to be a legit kicker in the NFL before the Bears got him. Kickers are very fickle so a lot of times the ones that have a bad year will turn around and have a good year the following year. If we couldn't find a way to get Gould or another legit kicker in a way that won't hurt us too bad against the cap then i'd have no problem starting the year with Parkey and let him kick on a game by game status. If he cost us a game then i'd go to plan B and there's always kickers sitting out there in free agency that have done good things in the NFL. It sure would help us cap wise to be able to stick with him and see if he can get right back to being the kicker we thought we were signing.

I'm not sure how much of a chance Parkey is going to get with other teams moving forward. The guy cannot even be sent out to attempt long field goals and he is not good from short distance, plus he may have burned his image right out of the NFL.

Mikeropod

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. San Antonio Spurs
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Cleveland Browns
  1. San Jose Sharks
  1. Miami (Ohio) Redhawks
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Don't forget, by his own admission Robbie was cut for a reason. He was getting sloppy and after being cut, re-dedicated himself. Also, the high comedy of needing to feed his family. As much as I like the guy, I say bring in a bunch of UDFAs and let them battle it out.

mecha

Liked Posts:
Parkey is the reason the Bears didn't have a playoff bye and one of the reasons, or at least the final one, that they were eliminated. (it was a shitty called game all around that FG should have been avoided)

nevertheless, the amount of money that's dumped into Parkey, he shouldn't be singlehandedly losing games.

the amount they put into getting Mack, was probably worth it. Pace hasn't been very good in the draft early -- just a repeat of Angelo giving away the house to get Cutler, he would've messed those picks up anyway. he also hasn't been worth jack shit at finding a kicker that's competent and won't be the 2nd highest paid in the league. I'm fairly certain this Parkey thing is worse than Kevin White.

Mikeropod

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. San Antonio Spurs
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Cleveland Browns
  1. San Jose Sharks
  1. Miami (Ohio) Redhawks
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Poor Kevin White. He might be in the AAF next year (if it lasts that long).

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I agree. Bears should offer Gould a very team friendly deal, an amount Bears can afford.

Would Gould take it? I doubt it.

Instead Bears should be looking to draft a K, along with the more common avenues.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Why are we still debating Gould coming to the bears.

It's been fairly obvious that
1) the niners want to keep him
2) they can and likely will tag him if they cant sign him
3) knowing what that tag pricetag is, there is no way the bears can come close to that number in the infinite chance he did hit the market.

Draft/sign the guy from Utah