Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Seattle Mariners
  1. Los Angeles FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Tennessee Titans
  1. St. Louis Blues
  1. Kentucky Wildcats
Says he could earn up to $300M there I saw on ESPN!

fenderpfunk

Liked Posts:
The Chicago sports media seems more upset about this than the White Sox fans, which is odd. Its like the fans didn't really expect the White Sox to get Machado, while the media thought the White Sox were the favorites to sign Machado.

If you visit the Sox reddit sub you will see how upset the fans are.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Padres chairman Ron Fowler: ‘We’re a lot happier than the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Whitesox?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Whitesox</a> right now.’</p>— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) <a href="https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1098994685547180032?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 22, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
A replay of the Arod scenario perhaps

I believe this is absolutely right. The Padres severely overpaid the White Sox. Don't blame Manny at all.

We'll be fine. If the youth develops and performs, folks will be wanting to play here. This is totally fine.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
The fact that the Sox wouldn't go 300+ and no opt-outs means they weren't serious at all, or they actually thought low balling a super star would work. Why the fuck would any decent free agent want to come here after hearing that?

The White Sox are never going to be an actual, competitive, relevent team until the old man dies.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Am I the only one here that thinks Manny was overpaid?
His stats came in a hitter's park and his career home/road splits are not impressive. I believe he's only had 1 season with an OPS greater than .900 and that came in his Free Agency year. He's a good player but is the really worth $30/million per year?

NdSoxfan2

Liked Posts:
Good riddance Manny. 10 year contract is too long for anybody. Too many risks.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Am I the only one here that thinks Manny was overpaid?
His stats came in a hitter's park and his career home/road splits are not impressive. I believe he's only had 1 season with an OPS greater than .900 and that came in his Free Agency year. He's a good player but is the really worth $30/million per year?

Based on 8 million per WAR (not sure why that number is used) yes, he is.

Again, I have zero issues on losing out on him.

The craziness is the fans that think the team doesn't spend money. They are top third over the last 20 years in spending, while bottom fifth in attendance.

They've made big time offers to at least two top tier free agents (Arod and Machando). They lost out. That happens. 28 other teams did as well.

I'm ready for the youth influx to continue.
The development of Lopez, Giolito, Moncada, Jimenez.
I'm still behind the rebuild.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
They've made big time offers to at least two top tier free agents (Arod and Machando). They lost out. That happens.

I just saw Arod telling a story about how J-Lo gave Bradley Cooper advice before he had to sing at the Oscars. I remember this one time in the mid-70's when the Bulls lured Artis Gilmore from the ABA with a large contract...who says the Bulls don't land big name free agents?!

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I just saw Arod telling a story about how J-Lo gave Bradley Cooper advice before he had to sing at the Oscars. I remember this one time in the mid-70's when the Bulls lured Artis Gilmore from the ABA with a large contract...who says the Bulls don't land big name free agents?!

Can't forget that big summer of 2010!

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Based on 8 million per WAR (not sure why that number is used) yes, he is.

Again, I have zero issues on losing out on him.

The craziness is the fans that think the team doesn't spend money. They are top third over the last 20 years in spending, while bottom fifth in attendance.

They've made big time offers to at least two top tier free agents (Arod and Machando). They lost out. That happens. 28 other teams did as well.

I'm ready for the youth influx to continue.
The development of Lopez, Giolito, Moncada, Jimenez.
I'm still behind the rebuild.

Idt fans say much about White Sox spending. You have a rare instance here where two 26 year old all stars were available. I guess we should just stick to signing the Adam Dunn’s of the league

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Idt fans say much about White Sox spending. You have a rare instance here where two 26 year old all stars were available. I guess we should just stick to signing the Adam Dunn’s of the league

Yeah no one said that either.

The Boletarian

Liked Posts:
The front office of this team is a joke. If they enjoyed seeing 20K fans each game they better get ready for 10K. Unacceptable to lose out on both Machado and Harper. Money talks and they blew it. You don't let future hall of fame players at age 26 slip through your fingers when you have more money than anyone to spend. Absolutely ridiculous.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
This franchise never wanted to spend the money it would've taken to land Manny or Harper. They just wanted to give uniformed fans the appearance that they were trying. We could've gone to $300 for either Machado or Harper. The problem is our cheap ass owner was never going to cut that check.