Free Agency news tracker

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Ravens are giving CB Tavon Young a three-year, $25.8 million extension with a max value of $29 million, making him the NFL’s highest-paid nickel back, per source.

Not good. Not good at all.

Nickelback market just got reset.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
more than 8 million a year. Crazy.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
ig: josinaanderson@JosinaAnderson
11m11 minutes ago
I’m told that Giants S Landon Collins cleaned out his locker today at the team facility and said his goodbyes to teammates, coaches and trainers. It doesn’t seem like Collins expects to be a Giant for much longer, per sources.

Collins is the one available player that would have a huge impact on the defense. I agree with this take.

“Landon Collins would be the best offseason addition the Chicago Bears could make

The only weakness the team really had all year defensively is at the strong safety spot. Sure, Adrian Amos filled in the spot adequately, but he was beaten down the middle by tight ends and often didn’t have the best instincts in coverage. He did have two interceptions and 73 tackles on the season, but much of that was the product of playing with such an elite defensive group. With an 82.7 overall PFF rating, he was the lowest player on the entire defense.

The rich could get richer. The Bears should use the remainder of their cap space to go after Landon Collins.”

https://clutchpoints.com/landon-collins-would-be-the-best-offseason-addition-the-chicago-bears-could-make/

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Can't they just structure the contracts of Amos, Callahan, and Lynch to be less than 15 million together in 2019 and then whatever in 2020 and so on as the CAP is increased....could even tie it in to the CAP increase percentage....

Also, they should be able to give them Guaranteed Money without giving it to them immediately....like kept in an escrow over the next few years without CAP implications or at least minor ones.

As long as a player does not want his money right now, the guarantee would still be in effect, maybe even guaranteed by Sweaty Teddie's signature.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Can't they just structure the contracts of Amos, Callahan, and Lynch to be less than 15 million together in 2019 and then whatever in 2020 and so on as the CAP is increased....could even tie it in to the CAP increase percentage....

Also, they should be able to give them Guaranteed Money without giving it to them immediately....like kept in an escrow over the next few years without CAP implications or at least minor ones.

As long as a player does not want his money right now, the guarantee would still be in effect, maybe even guaranteed by Sweaty Teddie's signature.

Big risk.

Massie makes 4 million this season, but in 2020 he makes 8 million. If you do that with too many deals you end up putting better players like Whitehair, Jackson and Cohen at risk.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
B-Cal is coming off injury tho, might change the math.

Might reduce the guarantees, maybe the yearly average, but I doubt it is significantly lower. I think the lowest it might be would be 7. That 8.6/year is without the market even getting involved and with 1 year of control for the Ravens existing.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Honestly, if that is the NB market for a guy who isn't even a free agent and who the market cannot even effect then I think the Bears may have a better chance of keeping Amos.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Ravens are giving CB Tavon Young a three-year, $25.8 million extension with a max value of $29 million, making him the NFL’s highest-paid nickel back, per source.
Tavon Young is only 24, call it $27/3yrs ($9/yr)... Considering Callahan's injury history and being 27, that would put him less than $8mil/yr, maybe $7mil/yr and then add incentives for more games... that's not crazy.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Big risk.

Massie makes 4 million this season, but in 2020 he makes 8 million. If you do that with too many deals you end up putting better players like Whitehair, Jackson and Cohen at risk.

True enough. Got to have money for those three And Trubisky if he gets even a half grade better next year in Nagy's O.

So many players are going to be coming up we probably just have 2019 to get to the NFCChampionship game before attrition thru contract hell and free agency takes place.

The only way out would be to get great depth players with developmental higher ceilings over the next two years from lower round draft picks and UDFA...also occasional comp pick HITs would be nice

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Tavon Young is only 24, call it $27/3yrs ($9/yr)... Considering Callahan's injury history and being 27, that would put him less than $8mil/yr, maybe $7mil/yr and then add incentives for more games... that's not crazy.

I think it all but guarantees 7+.

Young got that with 1 team bidding for his service and another year of injury risk he had to accept.

What happens if the Bears and 3 other teams are bidding for Callahan's service? My guess is he will ask the Bears to match that deal or he is going to test the market, he would be an idiot not to.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Young got that with 1 team bidding for his service and another year of injury risk he had to accept.

What happens if the Bears and 3 other teams are bidding for Callahan's service? My guess is he will ask the Bears to match that deal or he is going to test the market, he would be an idiot not to.

I mean, I get B-Cal had a great year until he went down with injury, but is there really going to be this bidding war for a 27 year old guy coming off his first truly impressive season, who ended the year injured?

Is the market of nickle corners super shallow and the demand super deep?

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I just remember Alshon oft injured and then again Fuller coming off a good year and think we will get priced out of contention.
Can't retain everyone, so we have to keep that next man up mentality with good coaching to maintain that winning percentage and playoff potential. Go for the long haul

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I mean, I get B-Cal had a great year until he went down with injury, but is there really going to be this bidding war for a 27 year old guy coming off his first truly impressive season, who ended the year injured?

Is the market of nickle corners super shallow and the demand super deep?

There is a ton of money in the market and it is a little shallow.

Had you ever heard of Tavon Young before? The market is rarely based on a sound evaluation of 4 years of work and detailed injury history, which most teams do not have.

The Bears paid a WR 14/season coming off an ACL tear and 2 years removed from his best season.

The Bears paid a TE 8/season who had never had more than 327 yards or been a starter.

Free agency is a mix or recency, projection, and desperation.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:

Bears matched to keep Fuller, so there is that immediate precedence there. I could see Callahan asking for a match. But also Callahan is truly a Bears product; they stuck with him UDFA, gave him lots development and chances even with the injuries. He maybe looking for the stability and value the Bears have shaped for him. I think Bears will be real close, and I don't sense he'd want to go to another team for just a mil or two, but who knows.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Might reduce the guarantees, maybe the yearly average, but I doubt it is significantly lower. I think the lowest it might be would be 7. That 8.6/year is without the market even getting involved and with 1 year of control for the Ravens existing.

young has shown well both inside and outside which imo is why he got such a large contract. callahan is not a strong outside corner and is strictly a NB.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
young has shown well both inside and outside which imo is why he got such a large contract. callahan is not a strong outside corner and is strictly a NB.

They are too similar for it not to be involved in the conversation.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That's why we should have locked him up weeks ago.

I am sure they tried. My guess is he wants to see what the market will bear. He wants to see how teams are going to value his injury history.

The Bears are in the non-traditional role of the small stack at the table.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not good. Not good at all.

Nickelback market just got reset.

The markets get reset every year. Its not like contracts decrease year to year. Besides, cap has been increasing at a kind of crazy rate.