Free Agency news tracker

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Why is it that the markets in our jobs don't get reset when someone gets a promotion. "Hey, I am a better employee than him and he just got bumped. Pay me or I test the job market!" And then it works.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The markets get reset every year. Its not like contracts decrease year to year. Besides, cap has been increasing at a kind of crazy rate.

I expected increase.

Just surprised that a player not known as a top player at the position, not in the open market, beat the previous high at the position.

Shows the market was stronger than I was expecting.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I expected increase.

Just surprised that a player not known as a top player at the position, not in the open market, beat the previous high at the position.

Shows the market was stronger than I was expecting.

literally not trying to be a dick, but you know. these offseason drama cycles are entirely predicated on building expectation off of very limited information. this weird cycle of inventing a narrative then reacting to that narrative and then reacting again when reality turns out to be different... its all very strange to me.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Kurt Coleman released by New Orleans.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
There is a ton of money in the market and it is a little shallow.

Had you ever heard of Tavon Young before? The market is rarely based on a sound evaluation of 4 years of work and detailed injury history, which most teams do not have.

The Bears paid a WR 14/season coming off an ACL tear and 2 years removed from his best season.

The Bears paid a TE 8/season who had never had more than 327 yards or been a starter.

Free agency is a mix or recency, projection, and desperation.

The bolded is so true I cannot give enough thanks for how spot on this last sentence is.

It is also why I don't get excited or disappointed in Bears' FA signing period nor even want too much activity from the Bears this year at all.

(I know: the Bears CANNOT be that active anyway, but FA and the draft are such crapshoots that it gets difficult for me to be excited for new arrivals. At least the draft is a crapshoot with minimal salary risk but FA is the opposite of that financially).

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
literally not trying to be a dick, but you know. these offseason drama cycles are entirely predicated on building expectation off of very limited information. this weird cycle of inventing a narrative then reacting to that narrative and then reacting again when reality turns out to be different... its all very strange to me.

No drama. I will not be upset if they lose Callahan, I am intrigued to see how they play this offseason.

Just trying to be educated on the market and assess all possibilities. Nothing else to do to fill the time.

I find the movement within the NFL contract markets fascinating. Gathering the data is an interesting way to see more of the picture than the guys who want to sign Callahan, Amos, and Landon Collins to play LB.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The bolded is so true I cannot give enough thanks for how spot on this last sentence is.

It is also why I don't get excited or disappointed in Bears' FA signing period nor even want too much activity from the Bears this year at all.

(I know: the Bears CANNOT be that active anyway, but FA and the draft are such crapshoots that it gets difficult for me to be excited for new arrivals. At least the draft is a crapshoot with minimal salary risk but FA is the opposite of that financially).

The desperation piece is the most interesting to me.

1. The Colts have lots of money, but Ballard is on such strong footing he does not need to spend it.

2. The Jets have a ton, their GM should have been fired, and they have a team with massive holes and next to no players actually on it.

2 GMs with similar resources, but that will have very different approaches.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There is a ton of money in the market and it is a little shallow.

Had you ever heard of Tavon Young before? The market is rarely based on a sound evaluation of 4 years of work and detailed injury history, which most teams do not have.

The Bears paid a WR 14/season coming off an ACL tear and 2 years removed from his best season.

The Bears paid a TE 8/season who had never had more than 327 yards or been a starter.

Free agency is a mix or recency, projection, and desperation.

So, do you recall what happened when Briggs was in this situation?

I seem to remember him wanting a big contract, Bears not offering it, then he went and tested the market and was more/less told to fuck off.

He returned to the Bears and signed a pretty meager deal, considering he was this supposed star LB with pro-bowls and wasn't injured IIRC.

Was there just no market for his position? Was it a deeper FA class? Less money available?

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:

I seem to remember him wanting a big contract, Bears not offering it, then he went and tested the market and was more/less told to fuck off.

He returned to the Bears and signed a pretty meager deal, considering he was this supposed star LB with pro-bowls and wasn't injured IIRC.

Was there just no market for his position? Was it a deeper FA class? Less money available?

I remember Briggs being "unhappy" a couple times. IIRC the first time was when he was younger but still under contract, so we had the whole "I'll sit out the year!" saber-rattling, and Briggs eventually got his contract restructured with a hefty pay increase. The second time was later in his career, but he was also still under contract. Rinse, repeat.

I think the only time Briggs hit the free agent market was at the end of his career, and when no offers came he retired. I could be wrong, though.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I do remember the Briggs free agent year pretty well.

As I remember it they signed him for a very solid market value of 6/36. Which, at the time, was a good contract for a weakside LB.

I think with Briggs he realized that a "crazy" market was not out there and he came back for good money.

Could happen with Amos of Callahan. Amos in particular is entering into a deep safety market.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I remember Briggs being "unhappy" a couple times. IIRC the first time was when he was younger but still under contract, so we had the whole "I'll sit out the year!" saber-rattling, and Briggs eventually got his contract restructured with a hefty pay increase. The second time was later in his career, but he was also still under contract. Rinse, repeat.

I think the only time Briggs hit the free agent market was at the end of his career, and when no offers came he retired. I could be wrong, though.

I recall him testing the FA market, going and visiting other teams, finding out no one thought he was worth the crazy money he hoped, and he returned here and signed for like 5-6M a year IIRC.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I recall him testing the FA market, going and visiting other teams, finding out no one thought he was worth the crazy money he hoped, and he returned here and signed for like 5-6M a year IIRC.

He did go on a free agent tour and was rumored to be signing with SF if I remember.

Sportrac only has data back to 2011, but in 2011 he would have been the 7 highest paid non-rookie/non franchise tagged player.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He did go on a free agent tour and was rumored to be signing with SF if I remember.

Sportrac only has data back to 2011, but in 2011 he would have been the 7 highest paid non-rookie/non franchise tagged player.

Go to the career earnings tab, they have his entire history.

vwfGxhZ.png

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I was looking for the league rankings of average salary to see where his deal ranked. That only goes back to 2011.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
"Brian McFarland
‏@RavensSalaryCap
So, it’s a base deal of $27.845M (not $25.8M as some reported). Young’s 2019 Cap # is $3.6M (up from $2.1M) and his future Cap #’s are $8M (2020), $8M (2021) and $8.345M (2022).Brian McFarland added,
Field Yates

Field Yates@FieldYates
Tavon Young’s new deal with the Ravens:
$10M signing bonus
2019: $1M base ($1M guaranteed)
2020: $5.5M base ($2M guaranteed)
2021: $5.5M base
2022: $5.845M base"

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
They are too similar for it not to be involved in the conversation.

im sure callahan and his agent will look for young's numbers...if you watched young's rookie season play he was one of the best rookies playing outside corner. he did play virtually all of his snaps in the slot in 2018 but wasnt nearly as effective... i'd be shocked if the ravens didnt play him outside as well..smith is washed up and will almost certainly be cut and carr is on a team option which they havent picked up yet.

i dont expect the bears to keep either amos or callahan, my money is on broncos giving amos a 5yr 35 mill deal and callahan a 3yr 21 mill deal

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
im sure callahan and his agent will look for young's numbers...if you watched young's rookie season play he was one of the best rookies playing outside corner. he did play virtually all of his snaps in the slot in 2018 but wasnt nearly as effective... i'd be shocked if the ravens didnt play him outside as well..smith is washed up and will almost certainly be cut and carr is on a team option which they havent picked up yet.

i dont expect the bears to keep either amos or callahan, my money is on broncos giving amos a 5yr 35 mill deal and callahan a 3yr 21 mill deal

I think both will be in the 7-8 range as well.

I do think the Bears can get involved in one of those spots.

Hub, on the PFW Podcast, thought the Bears would prioritize SS over NB his 2 points were,

1. Callahan's health issues and a lot of money ending up on IR.
2. They like McManis and even Bush at that spot more than we think.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
I think both will be in the 7-8 range as well.

I do think the Bears can get involved in one of those spots.

Hub, on the PFW Podcast, thought the Bears would prioritize SS over NB his 2 points were,

1. Callahan's health issues and a lot of money ending up on IR.
2. They like McManis and even Bush at that spot more than we think.

I agree with hub, i do get the feeling that the bears will look for the home run signing as well if collins/honey badger are available.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Michael Signora

@NFLfootballinfo
Follow Follow @NFLfootballinfo
32 compensatory choices in the 2019 @NFL Draft have been awarded to these 15 teams https://tinyurl.com/y4emftfu
D0CMseNX4AE1L90.jpg

Round Round Choice/
Overall Selection
Team
3 33-96 Washington
3 34-97 New England
3 35-98 Los Angeles Rams
3 36-99 Los Angeles Rams
3 37-100 Carolina
3 38-101 New England
3 39-102 Baltimore
4 33-135 Indianapolis
4 34-136 Dallas
4 35-137 Atlanta
4 36-138 Philadelphia
5 33-171 New York Giants
5 34-172 Atlanta
5 35-173 Washington
6 33-205 New England
6 34-206 Washington
6 35-207 Arizona
6 36-208 Philadelphia
6 37-209 Minnesota
6 38-210 Cincinnati
6 39-211 Cincinnati
6 40-212 San Francisco
6 41-213 Cincinnati
6 42-214 Kansas City
7 33-247 Minnesota
7 34-248 Arizona
7 35-249 Arizona
7 36-250 Minnesota
7 37-251 Los Angeles Rams
7 38-252 New England
7 39-253 Washington
7 40-254 Arizona

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
The Rams definitely played the system because they made trades and signed so many additional players but none of them counted towards gains last year, not one. Crazy.