Bears release Dion Sims

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
This. When literally everyone on ccs was saying how awesome it was to sign an elite blocking TE in sims for the running game, I was like, "guys he isnt that great. Actually he sucks, **** him."

Looks like I was right all along. Eat **** and die Sims fans.
Why don't you take a big healthy shit until you fill up the biggest bowl that you possess and then give it to all the Sims fans to eat? Later you could take to still-full bowl into your garden and use it as fertilizer.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
This. When literally everyone on ccs was saying how awesome it was to sign an elite blocking TE in sims for the running game, I was like, "guys he isnt that great. Actually he sucks, **** him."

Looks like I was right all along. Eat **** and die Sims fans.

That was the other weird part...Sims was never considered a great run blocker with the Dolphins. It was kind of like how Pace sold the Leonard Floyd pick as an elite pass rusher even though Floyd was coming off a 4.5 sack season at Georgia.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
That was the other weird part...Sims was never considered a great run blocker with the Dolphins. It was kind of like how Pace sold the Leonard Floyd pick as an elite pass rusher even though Floyd was coming off a 4.5 sack season at Georgia.

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2016/12/30/pending-free-agent-tight-end-dion-sims-i-would-love-to-stay-with-miami-dolphins/

Sims has been a dominant run blocker at times in the NFL, but has now improved his overall game.

“He has done a really good job run blocking,”

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2016/12/19/dion-sims-showing-that-hes-more-than-just-a-blocking-tight-end/

When the Miami Dolphins drafted tight end Dion Sims out of Michigan State back in 2013, the plan was to primarily use him as reinforcement on the offensive line due to his prowess as a blocker in college.

I'm not defending Sims..... obviously these were wrong. Just pointing out he did have a rep as a blocker when the Bears signed him. Sims looks like a guy that got paid and quit IMO.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2016/12/30/pending-free-agent-tight-end-dion-sims-i-would-love-to-stay-with-miami-dolphins/

Sims has been a dominant run blocker at times in the NFL, but has now improved his overall game.

“He has done a really good job run blocking,”

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2016/12/19/dion-sims-showing-that-hes-more-than-just-a-blocking-tight-end/

When the Miami Dolphins drafted tight end Dion Sims out of Michigan State back in 2013, the plan was to primarily use him as reinforcement on the offensive line due to his prowess as a blocker in college.

I'm not defending Sims..... obviously these were wrong. Just pointing out he did have a rep as a blocker when the Bears signed him. Sims looks like a guy that got paid and quit IMO.

From a 2016 Dolphins article right after they signed Anthony Fasano and before Sims became Bear property:

And among tight ends, Fasano was graded the No. 1 run blocker by PFF. Dion Sims was rated No. 41.

No. 41!

Six million dollars a year for No. 41.

I recognize some have issues with ProFootballFocus metrics and I understand the skepticism. But when 40 spots separate one player grade from the next, you cannot argue the one is better than the other in the area we’re focused on -- run blocking.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article137677108.html

From the Dolphins fans I've talked to, Sims seemed a lot like Kellen Davis. He looked the part, his size made you assume that he was a good run blocker, but he wasn't very good at anything. JMO. I would say that Sims' performance in Chicago substantiated that thought.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dion Sims stint with the Bears summed up in one clip...

hpzswn.gif

Last edited:

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm not sure why some CCS people think the cutting of Sims is merely setting up another move by Pace. Sims was cut on his own merit. He was terrible. The odd part of it was that Pace tried to sell the public on Sims being a superb run blocker, and he was probably a better pass catcher than run blocker with Chicago.

They had to do it just to get to a functional level of cap space. I do not think that it is a precursor to another move.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Even if he was a good blocking TE I don’t see how the initial salary was worth it, and I certainly don’t know why they kept him another year.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
From a 2016 Dolphins article right after they signed Anthony Fasano and before Sims became Bear property:

And among tight ends, Fasano was graded the No. 1 run blocker by PFF. Dion Sims was rated No. 41.

No. 41!

Six million dollars a year for No. 41.

I recognize some have issues with ProFootballFocus metrics and I understand the skepticism. But when 40 spots separate one player grade from the next, you cannot argue the one is better than the other in the area we’re focused on -- run blocking.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article137677108.html

From the Dolphins fans I've talked to, Sims seemed a lot like Kellen Davis. He looked the part, his size made you assume that he was a good run blocker, but he wasn't very good at anything. JMO. I would say that Sims' performance in Chicago substantiated that thought.

Thats a good comparison.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Thats a good comparison.

The narrative I heard was that Sims was a much better blocker as a rookie, then got fat and lazy. So its highly possible that Sims was good early on in his Dolphins career, then fell out of favor by the time Pace signed him.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Well, count me in as not knowing Sims wasn't a 2-way tight end!

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe windy but I agree, I do not recall anyone saying anything special about Simms at all.

Are you really doubting that anybody on CCS was white knighting for Pace during that rotten March of 2017. I could necro a thread or two if I really wanted to prove it but nah.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Are you really doubting that anybody on CCS was white knighting for Pace during that rotten March of 2017. I could necro a thread or two if I really wanted to prove it but nah.

so you don't want to prove it

thanks

bearsfootball516

Liked Posts:
Dion Sims stint with the Bears summed up in one clip...

hpzswn.gif

As bad as that was, the one play of his I'll always remember was against Green Bay when he had a clear path to a first down, then went out of his way to run straight into a defender and be taken down multiple yards short of a first down, forcing a punt.

Then later in the game on a critical third and 1, Sims ran his route short of the first down line...on third and one, and proceeded to get tackled for no gain.

I'm going to say that again for emphasis, he somehow managed to run his route short of the first down line on third and one.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

no, please do

so you don't want to prove it

thanks

All I could find from the day he was signed. People seemed pretty pumped about it.

http://www.chicitysports.com/forum/showthread.php/86078-Bears-sign-TE-Dion-Sims

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Who gets a NFL job first, Sims or Parkey?