Harper to Phillies

chibears55

Liked Posts:
13 yrs 330

Surprise he went there but he chose $$$ over winning a championship any time soon

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Holy smokes..

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Bryce Harper’s deal with the Philadelphia Phillies will be for $330 million, a new record for overall dollars, topping the $325 million of Giancarlo Stanton, league sources tell ESPN.</p>— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) <a href="https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1101209569529782273?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 28, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Can we rename to suicide watch

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Funny how we heard all day yesterday that he didn't want to play in Philadelphia or for Kapler...lol

Guess 13 yrs and 330 mil will change one mind

TL1961

Liked Posts:
13 yrs 330

Surprise he went there but he chose $$$ over winning a championship any time soon

How can you seriously be surprised?

And how far away do you think they are?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I honestly believe he inked for an additional 3 years just to get what is, technically, the largest contract ever. But his AAV is in the teens in MLB alone.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
so he is admitting that Arenado and Machado are worth more per year than he is?

I mean seriously, what good is holding out for the largest in history when it will be smoked by Trout soon enough?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
How can you seriously be surprised?

And how far away do you think they are?
Surprised by the years, 13 yrs with no opt out and no trade..
He basically stuck in Philadelphia and If he starts his decline after age 33, the Phillies will be stuck paying him mega bucks for another 5- 6 yrs..lol

Also thought for sure he'd want to go West

How far to winning or competing for a WS..

As far as their roster goes now, I still think there 4 or 5 better teams then them in NL..
Outside of Nola, unless I missed an addition to rotation, it not that great

So, right now as is, their at least a couple years away just based on better talent on other teams

chibears55

Liked Posts:
so he is admitting that Arenado and Machado are worth more per year than he is?

I mean seriously, what good is holding out for the largest in history when it will be smoked by Trout soon enough?
10 yrs and 300 was his low bar

So, I believe SF went there and Phillies basically upped it to 13 yrs to seal the deal to get him away from SF

It was probably more about the years for Harper then AAV as long as he got over 300 total guaranteed

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Harper, Realmuto, Segura, and McCuthchen should fit in nicely with Hoskins, Herrera and and Franco plus Robertson to their pen....pretty nice off season. Nola, Jake and Eflin....you have one more guy step up and you're knocking at the door. I liked their team last year...I like them more now. Baring major injuries, they should contend.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
So, the Phillies are going to be good..?

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Phillies should be good. By 2021 they could have 8 guys with 8 figure deals. Barring trades, they have 5 guaranteed totaling about 73 M. They'll also have some players in their final arb year, one should be about 12M. Then there are the options for two players totaling 32 M at least. If they are all still there, that's 115 M in 8 players. It's all going to depend on if they will care about the tax

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
So, the Phillies are going to be good..?

Fangraphs pegs them at 86 wins. These projections tend to be slightly conservative so think you could pretty easily argue the are a 90 win team. They have the NL shaping up as dodgers(93), Nats(90), Cubs(88), Philly, Cards(85), Mets(84), Braves(83), Brewers(83) and the Rockies and Reds both at 81 with everyone else in the NL under 500.

They should be better but I question their pitching. Nola is great but after him? Arrieta might get a little bit better but I don't think he's gonna be better than a 2/3 type starter. I don't see the ace returning. Velasquez has potential but hasn't hit it. IMO they probably need to go sign Keuchel. They do that then I feel like they are a bit more of a contender. As is now, I sorta feel like they are hoping to be a WC team.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
To put 13 years into context, if the Cubs had given Alfonso Soriano a 13 year deal, this year would be the final year.

This will make the Bryant contract talks interesting because Bryant is going to go into his age 30 season when he finally gets to FA. That kind of puts him in the 8-10 year range in terms of contract talks if we're using the Harper length as a barometer.

And oh year, the Padres signed a massively better deal with Machado than this for the Phillies.