Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hoerner WAS a number 1 draft choice.

He DOES belong.

Yeah, he belongs....in AAA or AA till he gets his feet wet. This isn't Kris Bryant we're talking about.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
“Watching his swing from the side, the way the bat comes through, I would think he’s purely just a good low-ball hitter,” Maddon said. “Then here came Oh, and I was curious, because he’s an elevated fastball dude. I was curious to see that. And [Hoerner] turned that thing around, like it’s nothing.”

Hoerner ripped a triple to cap a 3-for-3 day.

“Great first start for him,” Maddon said. “Our guys told me they wanted him to play because there’s a lot of confidence to him, and this kid is showing pretty well.”

Though Hoerner was in the lineup in that particular game as the designated hitter, he has a reputation as a strong defender at shortstop and the athleticism to move around the diamond.

“He’s not far away,” Maddon prescribed. “If he catches the ball as well as everybody says he does and is able to work at-bats like we’ve seen, he’s not far off.”

Castor76

Liked Posts:
If he continues to hit, 2020. If they trade away more than Russell and he's mashing, maybe this year.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Pretty fun so far.

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
Think you're talking about entirely different cases...

Hi, beck... I wasn't trying to compare Hoerner and Schwarber as players. I was just trying to make the point that what team officials say publicly about when a young player might be brought up doesn't necessarily match what actually happens... :)

That said, yeah, Nico can obviously profit from more seasoning. The question, I guess, will be whether or not he would perform better offensively at SS on the major league club than our other options.

If, in late June, Russell is hitting .234 with an OBP of .270, and you think Nico could be at .280/.300 facing major league pitching, and if you don't suffer much defensively by making the move, wouldn't it make sense to bring up Nico? Or would you bench / DFA Russell and go with a combo of our remaining infielders, leaving Nico at AA/AAA for seasoning there? Or just leave Russell in there every day, to prove, once and for all, whether or not he's really a .235/.270/.400 type player, no matter how badly we could use more production out of our SS?

I understand Hoerner's power and BB rate are the focuses on his development. But at the major league level, have we got to where our shortstops have to hit for power the way we used to expect from third and first basemen? In other words, if he hits for 40 to 50 points better average than Russell, but has less power, couldn't you make the case that we have enough power in the rest of the lineup, and some decent on-base and contact hitting could actually be a net plus in the lineup?

Just sort of thinking out loud, here... :)

-Doug

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Not unheard of for a bat to be rushed

I just see the Cubs lacking a true lead off. He is kinda doing what they want to see out of a lead off right now.

Performance forces decisions. So it wouldn't be unheard of. They are in a winning window. So the whole notion of holding for control is not happening.

I would cast it as doubtful at the moment. He has a 8 on base string going on. He hits for contact and takes walks while having HR power. Add to it he is known for strong D at SS.

Again doubtful but I would just wait and see here. Russell is under suspension so there is a month opening avaliable. So if Nico wrecks S/T pitching and plays strong SS. Why not give him April and let his play dictate if he stays. Worst case is he looks bad for a month and demotes to AA with that experience in his mind and the adjustments to work on to get back up. Best case is phenom and Russell becomes a UI.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Hi, beck... I wasn't trying to compare Hoerner and Schwarber as players. I was just trying to make the point that what team officials say publicly about when a young player might be brought up doesn't necessarily match what actually happens... :)

That said, yeah, Nico can obviously profit from more seasoning. The question, I guess, will be whether or not he would perform better offensively at SS on the major league club than our other options.

If, in late June, Russell is hitting .234 with an OBP of .270, and you think Nico could be at .280/.300 facing major league pitching, and if you don't suffer much defensively by making the move, wouldn't it make sense to bring up Nico? Or would you bench / DFA Russell and go with a combo of our remaining infielders, leaving Nico at AA/AAA for seasoning there? Or just leave Russell in there every day, to prove, once and for all, whether or not he's really a .235/.270/.400 type player, no matter how badly we could use more production out of our SS?

I understand Hoerner's power and BB rate are the focuses on his development. But at the major league level, have we got to where our shortstops have to hit for power the way we used to expect from third and first basemen? In other words, if he hits for 40 to 50 points better average than Russell, but has less power, couldn't you make the case that we have enough power in the rest of the lineup, and some decent on-base and contact hitting could actually be a net plus in the lineup?

Just sort of thinking out loud, here... :)

-Doug
Here the thing with bringing up Hoerner and with the same case as if Russell does return to cubs in May..

Who gets bounced?

The only answer to that now is Bote, which I doubt theyll do eventhough he has options, only because I think they really like him and want to see more of him

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Here the thing with bringing up Hoerner and with the same case as if Russell does return to cubs in May..

Who gets bounced?

The only answer to that now is Bote, which I doubt theyll do eventhough he has options, only because I think they really like him and want to see more of him

UI vs starter. It would not prevent anything. Bote is not long term regardless and is out with Russell.

Nico is another situation competley. If he just wrecked ST then seeing what you have for a month doesn't hurt. They have the SS system depth to not be affected by a experiment. Could be win win. He fails but learns what adjustments he needs quickens his time line. He succedes well this is the 1% here.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
UI vs starter. It would not prevent anything. Bote is not long term regardless and is out with Russell.

Nico is another situation competley. If he just wrecked ST then seeing what you have for a month doesn't hurt. They have the SS system depth to not be affected by a experiment. Could be win win. He fails but learns what adjustments he needs quickens his time line. He succedes well this is the 1% here.
Didn't realize you ran the cubs organization..lol

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Nico went 0 for 1 today. Time to cut the guy outright!

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Yeah, he belongs....in AAA or AA till he gets his feet wet. This isn't Kris Bryant we're talking about.
Hoerner doesn't have the pop in his bat like Bryant. He will impact teams in other ways.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hoerner doesn't have the pop in his bat like Bryant. He will impact teams in other ways.

Not what I meant. Bryant spent some time in the minors and every level he played he tore the cover off the ball....there was no question he was ready. Nico's played 14 games...and while he's looked good...IMOP, that's not enough time. We've all seen kids confidence destroyed by being elevated too soon. There's no rush here, let him grow a bit.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Not what I meant. Bryant spent some time in the minors and every level he played he tore the cover off the ball....there was no question he was ready. Nico's played 14 games...and while he's looked good...IMOP, that's not enough time. We've all seen kids confidence destroyed by being elevated too soon. There's no rush here, let him grow a bit.

Not sure on that with Theo saying trades will happen if they fail. It feels like the adjustment period is over. Sink or swim time.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Not sure on that with Theo saying trades will happen if they fail. It feels like the adjustment period is over. Sink or swim time.

That's a pretty hamfisted way of applying those comments. There's a world of difference between a guy getting 300 PAs at a given minor league level and guys who have 600-1000 PAs at the MLB level. In fact I'd make the argument that the difference between 2-3 years ago and now is the team now is talented enough that you have to force your way onto the team. It's not enough to be a high round pick. To that end I think that's the point Theo was making. In other words, it's not enough to be a talented player. You're only staying with the team as long as you are either A) producing or B) they don't have someone better than you and in the case of B that can change at any time.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Not unheard of for a bat to be rushed

I just see the Cubs lacking a true lead off. He is kinda doing what they want to see out of a lead off right now.

Performance forces decisions. So it wouldn't be unheard of. They are in a winning window. So the whole notion of holding for control is not happening.

I would cast it as doubtful at the moment. He has a 8 on base string going on. He hits for contact and takes walks while having HR power. Add to it he is known for strong D at SS.

Again doubtful but I would just wait and see here. Russell is under suspension so there is a month opening avaliable. So if Nico wrecks S/T pitching and plays strong SS. Why not give him April and let his play dictate if he stays. Worst case is he looks bad for a month and demotes to AA with that experience in his mind and the adjustments to work on to get back up. Best case is phenom and Russell becomes a UI.

Yeah, I think they rushed Happ some, so they are getting a reputation for that.

Cubs joined high school kids everywhere and restarted their youtube channel. One of the first offerings was the electricity of Javy on the bases. Sure seems like the angle on the bases from a leadoff guy we did not even have with Fowler.

I just dont see why Nico is being given SS when even the cubs refer to him as 2B. He will have the Javy role of filling in at short, but he is not going to be there long term.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Yeah, I think they rushed Happ some, so they are getting a reputation for that.

Cubs joined high school kids everywhere and restarted their youtube channel. One of the first offerings was the electricity of Javy on the bases. Sure seems like the angle on the bases from a leadoff guy we did not even have with Fowler.

I just dont see why Nico is being given SS when even the cubs refer to him as 2B. He will have the Javy role of filling in at short, but he is not going to be there long term.

Happ has holes in his swing. He is not even viable as a RH hitter now. Rushing had little to do with it. They would have been there later. They should have demoted like they did with Schwarber to fix and get the AB's in.