How soon can Hoerner replace Russell?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That's a pretty hamfisted way of applying those comments. There's a world of difference between a guy getting 300 PAs at a given minor league level and guys who have 600-1000 PAs at the MLB level. In fact I'd make the argument that the difference between 2-3 years ago and now is the team now is talented enough that you have to force your way onto the team. It's not enough to be a high round pick. To that end I think that's the point Theo was making. In other words, it's not enough to be a talented player. You're only staying with the team as long as you are either A) producing or B) they don't have someone better than you and in the case of B that can change at any time.

I don't see a issue with a 1 month promote to show him what he needs to work on and get the 3rd deck out of the way. He has a contact bat with a OBA approach. If he was more like Schwarber and Happ and more walk vs hit then I would be against it.

Then let him take what he learned and progress. 1 month is nothing as far as starting the clock.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I don't see a issue with a 1 month promote to show him what he needs to work on and get the 3rd deck out of the way. He has a contact bat with a OBA approach. If he was more like Schwarber and Happ and more walk vs hit then I would be against it.

Then let him take what he learned and progress. 1 month is nothing as far as starting the clock.

That's entirely missing the point of why he's still in the minors. A bigger stadium isn't going to phase him. What will stop him from being a useful player is if he doesn't hit for power and hits the ball on the ground too much. Fixing that requires working on his swing to the point where he elevates the ball more. Stanford is notorious for the "stanford swing" which teaches the opposite to players and makes them do it. So, he's effectively having to unlearn what they spent the past 3 or so years teaching him. You don't do that vs the best of the best pitching. It's the reason why people rehabbing start in mesa and work their way up.

The point here is you call players up when they no longer have anything to gain from being in the minors. Schwarber has hit .337/.432/.663 in his 111 PAs in AAA. There's literally no point for him to be in AAA save for what they did in 2017 to get him back on track for a few weeks. Happ hit .298/.362/.615 in his 116 PAs in AAA. If Hoerner has a 1.000 OPS then sure call him up but he's unlikely to slug that high given where he currently is. And that means there's more for him to work on.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
https://www.mlb.com/cubs/news/cubs-2019-spring-training-report

While the injury ended Hoerner’s pro debut after just 14 games, he returned fully healthy in time for the Arizona Fall League and impressed as one of its breakout stars, producing a .337/.362/.506 line over 21 games against far better competition than at any point in his career. To many, the 21-year-old looked like a hitter fresh off of a full season in Double-A, one perhaps on the cusp on the Major Leagues.

“Nico is awesome,” said Cubs farm director Jaron Madison. "I think the most impressive thing about him is the kid -- the makeup and the person he is. He’s a team guy, a leader, and he connects really well with his teammates. You don’t normally get that from guys who go in the first round.”

With Hoerner already showing the makings of becoming an advanced hitter, the Cubs are addressing a few things defensively this spring that they believe will increase his chances of sticking at shortstop.

“We’ve done some work with changing his arm stroke a little bit,” said Madison. “His arm slot was a little low, especially when turning double plays, so just working to get him on top of the ball more consistently so that he’s throwing it with more backspin.

"He’s figured that out and is throwing the ball really well. It’s coming out of his hand a lot better to first base.”

Honestly their concern was his throw. They love the bat.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I wouldnt push him to AAA. They have Short there already as emergency. Ademan struggled at A+ and it might help him with a delayed promote.

AA is the natural landing right now but he is the most complete hitter that the Cubs have drafted to date.

And I'll stand behind that. Even KB lacks the contact but makes up for his swing and miss when he connects. Almora lacks BB'S. This kid might touch all the bases with occasional power on mistakes over the plate.