Mack Restructure. Bears add 11 million in cap space

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
Davis a tertiary backup.....I think he is decent enough, but he is nothing more than that. Would you rather see Davis or Mizzell?

The scenario I'd rather see.

No Davis, save 3 million.
Trade Howard, save 1.5 million

Sign Gostkowski for 5 million (total money wastes on kicker sucks, but we are desperate and have 5 years to win)

Draft best dual threat RB available round 3.

Sign Lev Bell or Coleman.

Now you have a Great Kicker

Bell/Coleman
Draft Pick
Cohen
Couldn't give two fucks

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
How you got that from what I said is beyond me.

I'll try again. What does Bell bring to the table that Howard wasn't able to do, FOR that amount of money on top of it? I thought we wanted someone decisive and right to the hole. Someone who was a dual threat.

I know Bell is great, but he was behind a stellar line that consistently let him wait to cut into holes. Do we have that for him?

These are honest questions for my knowledge, so winge and throw apples if you'd like.

I'm really confused by this. Bell is on the extreme opposite end of the spectrum in passing game production and will cost more. I'm not sure about your "for the amount of money" comment. It will cost more money to get that. For the record, I don't like the idea of paying a RB, but I'm not sure what you're getting at here?

Bears_804

Liked Posts:
Bell is probably the best or second best receiving RB in the game. He can easily work out of the slot and even on the outside. He's a much better runner for this system than Howard, with much more stop-start ability and better speed. He's better than Howard by a long shot.
I wasn't comparing him and Howard apples to apples. Of course he is better.

What I really needed to know was what you answered about his receiving game. I'd have to go back two years, and I don't watch many steelers games. I just remember his late slow starts that turned into ridiculous gains over and over again. Like no one could stop him. Wasn't sure if their per usual OL had anything to say about that vs ours that struggled last year in the run game.

Thank you for the insight. Helps me understand Bell more.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
It’ll be interesting to see who they are targeting but having Bell and Cohen makes my inner football child snicker a bit.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I've been absent, and come in for FA to check in. Am I in the minority of not really wanting to throw money at Bell? I see people pining for him everywhere on here. I don't think he fits what everyone kept saying Howard can't do in this system. He's a hell of a back, but... I just don't feel it.

I'll try again. What does Bell bring to the table that Howard wasn't able to do, FOR that amount of money on top of it? I thought we wanted someone decisive and right to the hole. Someone who was a dual threat.

I know Bell is great, but he was behind a stellar line that consistently let him wait to cut into holes. Do we have that for him?

These are honest questions for my knowledge, so winge and throw apples if you'd like.

The bolded is how I got there. Bell is a much better back and would fit Nagy's system perfectly. That's not even up for debate.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I wasn't comparing him and Howard apples to apples. Of course he is better.

What I really needed to know was what you answered about his receiving game. I'd have to go back two years, and I don't watch many steelers games. I just remember his late slow starts that turned into ridiculous gains over and over again. Like no one could stop him. Wasn't sure if their per usual OL had anything to say about that vs ours that struggled last year in the run game.

Thank you for the insight. Helps me understand Bell more.

He has three season with more receiving yards than Howard has in his career.

You bet.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
You don’t make a bold move like this unless it’s for a bold move

Bears_804

Liked Posts:
I'm really confused by this. Bell is on the extreme opposite end of the spectrum in passing game production and will cost more. I'm not sure about your "for the amount of money" comment. It will cost more money to get that. For the record, I don't like the idea of paying a RB, but I'm not sure what you're getting at here?
I was not up to date, or had any knowledge of, Bells pass catching production. Lack of knowledge came out as ignorant comment. I'm up to date now.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:

If you are comparing Bell to Howard then you need to include Howard's new deal which will probably pay him 7 million per minimum. Bell is significantly better and is a MVP caliber player. He would make the game a million times easier for Mitch. Instead of forcing throws downfield or struggling to decipher a read, he could simply dump it to Bell for an easy 6. Defenses wouldn't be able to key in on Roninson, Burton, or Cohen. The offense would be able to work.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
If they sign Bell I think, for sanity sake, it will be ok to let go of the non-Hunt signing.

True. Bell would at least indicate "effort", moreso than throwing money at Mike Davis.

Bears_804

Liked Posts:
If you are comparing Bell to Howard then you need to include Howard's new deal which will probably pay him 7 million per minimum. Bell is significantly better and is a MVP caliber player. He would make the game a million times easier for Mitch. Instead of forcing throws downfield or struggling to decipher a read, he could simply dump it to Bell for an easy 6. Defenses wouldn't be able to key in on Roninson, Burton, or Cohen. The offense would be able to work.
Good stuff. Thank you.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
You know what maybe these moves are to extend a few players and not necessarily a play for bell

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
True. Bell would at least indicate "effort", moreso than throwing money at Mike Davis.

I don’t think a couple million is exactly throwing money. We were one injury away from seeing Mizzel as the feature back.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
Good question. I doubt it is bell they would then have what 18 million or so tied into rb? Maybe a little more even lol doubt it.

My guess is Houston and a safety like Gipson, maybe even a vet kicker. Could also be for Amos once Pace found out the Packers were about to sign him. He might have gotten emotional and matched it. Anything is possible at this point.

That's the problem for me. If you sign Bell and then trade Howard, you would have been fine drafting a RB. No need for Davis. Now if they aren't going after Bell, then it makes a little more sense. It still sucks that we couldn't give that deal to Hunt. The whole problem would have been solved.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
I don’t think a couple million is exactly throwing money. We were one injury away from seeing Mizzel as the feature back.

Could we not draft a back as well? Or even keep Howard? And Mizzel sucks, but I don't think Davis is a lead back either for longer than two games.

CAP BOSO

Liked Posts:
That's the problem for me. If you sign Bell and then trade Howard, you would have been fine drafting a RB. No need for Davis. Now if they aren't going after Bell, then it makes a little more sense. It still sucks that we couldn't give that deal to Hunt. The whole problem would have been solved.

Until Hunt gets a suspension and you are stuck with nothing.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs

I missed the NFL’s announcement of Hunt’s suspension. You can’t be the answer if you can’t play.