Mack Restructure. Bears add 11 million in cap space

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Disproves? No, but ignoring precedent is moronic. After all, precedent is exactly what you're arguing as well whether you are too dense to realize it or not.

HUH?! So I DON'T have precedent on my side? How am I 'ignoring precedent'? I didn't know this was such a difficult concept for you to understand. Teams free up cap space to sign free agents. Cool!

BTW, this is the CCS braintrust that you are arguing for...

Why restructure until you know you need the room?
LOL. So obvious.
There was no need to restructure today if you're simply rolling it over.
So was thia was a pointless restructuring, yes?

Quite the motley crew. I especially like the last two comments...TL1961 believes that the sole reason Pace restructured Mack's contract was so that Pace could roll it over...Wardrobe thinks that the free agency period ended yesterday. Good stuff.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Exactly, while they may have a target FA in mind, it does not mean they are going to spend every dime that the restructuring has given them.

While FA opens officially today, there are several times between now and September that a player could become available, for example:
- Opening of Free agency, usually produces the big name players - not sure we will be a player this year.
- During the draft, not to often, but occasionally a player could be part of a trade
- After the Draft, players that cost a lot of money are replaced by young draft picks
- During preseason cuts, there is always a player that is a surprise availability.

Pace is making room so that he can have the flexibility in case an opportunity surfaces. I doubt we will make a splash with the $11M.
-

giphy.gif

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Pace can always prepay some of that bonus back at any time if it he doesn't spend it elsewhere. There is no negative here. Nice to have the ability to act quickly if an opportunity presents itself. Often required in FA.
hqdefault.jpg

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
can someone help me understand why we would restructure Macks contract to clear up 11 mil this year if we weren't absolutely going to need the money this offseason? Arent we going to have less cap room in future years now because this restructure?

Rise

Liked Posts:
can someone help me understand why we would restructure Macks contract to clear up 11 mil this year if we weren't absolutely going to need the money this offseason? Arent we going to have less cap room in future years now because this restructure?

Potentially. They can roll over any remaining money into next year, so they don't have to spend it all this year. That said if they do spend it all then yes it will increase Macks cap hit by $2.2 million or so per year the next 5 years. What this does is give them more options right now, with little downside to the future if they don't use it. That said this is Ryan Pace we are talking about, he is going to spend that money.