Cordarelle Patterson Draft Scouting Report

jive

Liked Posts:
Here's Patterson's scouting report from 2013......
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/cordarrelle-patterson?id=2540145

Strengths
Easily separates on vertical routes when given a free release. Very few wasted steps on cuts. Very smooth in his breaks. Finds soft areas in zone coverage between corners and safeties. Looks to turn upfield immediately after the catch. Very good with slants, quick head fake out allows for inside release, strong step forward, body catches to prevent pass breakup while shielding corner. Flashes swiping inside arm bar away on back shoulder throws to allow for free turn. Frequently hauls in the difficult catches, especially when the defensive back is draped on him. Not afraid to hand fight all the way along the sideline on vertical routes to create a sliver of separation. Understands hot read recognition when the corner blitzes. Builds speed quickly after the catch, almost gliding when in stride. Good vision with the ball in his hands, cuts upfield when he sees a lane. Used occasionally at running back, has the speed and wiggle to beat defenders to the edge while utilizing hesitations moves. Very nimble on his feet, especially for size. Makes plays out of nothing when carrying the ball. Numerous natural qualities to his game.

Weaknesses
Consistently a body catcher, even when it is not necessary. Was not frequently asked to go up and get the football at its highest point. Large number of his snaps start while off the line of scrimmage, allows for a better release. Doesn't use his hands enough against a jam, tries to dip or side step rather than slap or push. Tends to throttle down in his breaks.Burst after the catch or return is only adequate but does accelerate quickly. Tries to do too much when the ball is in his hands at times. Dropped a few very catchable balls, including easy bucket throw over shoulder. Inconsistent blocking effort.

NFL Comparison Demaryius Thomas

Bottom Line He may be considered raw with his ability to handle physical coverage, but Patterson is one of the more naturally talented pass catchers to come along in the last few years. He only has one year of tape against FBS level of competition, but from the first game Patterson showed his versatility by making plays from a variety of alignments. If the Vol can start using his hands to release off the line and tighten up some technique issues, he should be one of this class' top playmakers. He should be a first-round selection and could be the first receiver off the board.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Bottom Line He may be considered raw with his ability to handle physical coverage, but Patterson is one of the more naturally talented pass catchers to come along in the last few years

Kind of interesting...Patterson is the furthest thing from a "natural" when it comes to catching passes. He is a great athlete. I guess it shows that people 'project' when they scout college players, seeing what they want to see instead of seeing what is actually happening.

Patterson had 778 career receiving yards in college. Quite the write-up though. I was looking at the SEC receiving leaderboard, and Patterson was 11th in receiving yards. Not all that special. But the competition was incredible for SEC WRs that year: OBJ, Landry, Amari Cooper, Mike Evans, Jordan Matthews. Wow!

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
I guess we'll see what Nagy can do with him. A lot of speed on the field with him and Cohen

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Bellamy was also a body type catcher and has developed into a fairly reliable catcher, AFTER, he dropped some big passes early on.

I watched some of his games last year, including the one against us, and he simply left me with the impression that he was a guy that could make some plays....

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Kind of interesting...Patterson is the furthest thing from a "natural" when it comes to catching passes. He is a great athlete. I guess it shows that people 'project' when they scout college players, seeing what they want to see instead of seeing what is actually happening.

Patterson had 778 career receiving yards in college. Quite the write-up though. I was looking at the SEC receiving leaderboard, and Patterson was 11th in receiving yards. Not all that special. But the competition was incredible for SEC WRs that year: OBJ, Landry, Amari Cooper, Mike Evans, Jordan Matthews. Wow!

Says he’s consistently a body catcher in weaknesses and then a natural pass catcher in the bottom line. Great write up.

Leon Sandcastle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I took "naturally talented pass catcher" as naturally talented receiver. As they already noted that he needs to work on his catching ability.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I took "naturally talented pass catcher" as naturally talented receiver. As they already noted that he needs to work on his catching ability.

Yeah, I think it was just a lazy 'turn of a phrase', substituting the term "pass catcher" for "receiver", but it actually has a profound difference in meaning, IMO.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Says he’s consistently a body catcher in weaknesses and then a natural pass catcher in the bottom line. Great write up.

The whole scouting report is garbage because he's a bad WR.

Leon Sandcastle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, I think it was just a lazy 'turn of a phrase', substituting the term "pass catcher" for "receiver", but it actually has a profound difference in meaning, IMO.

Agreed and i could be wrong. Just the way i took it when i first read it.

Leon Sandcastle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The whole scouting report is garbage because he's a bad WR.

True. I think Nagy will just make defenses account for him which opens up something else.

Patterson is great in space so he could be a really good fit with this offense. If not atleast he is a good KR.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
LOL at looking at his college scouting report when he's be a pro for 6 season already...

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yea but is Tabor leading us to the Holy Grail of STs'dom with Patterson?

jonimus

Liked Posts:
I wonder if anyone has ever thought of a professional scouting report. Might really benefit teams looking at players not currently in college.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
Led by do-it-all threat Cordarrelle Patterson, the Patriots lead the NFL in rushing attempts (51) and rushing yards (324) from the wide receiver position and rank third in the NFL in jet sweep frequency averaging 8.8 yards per play on sweeps.
In Sunday’s win against the Bills, the Patriots ran five speed sweeps for 67 yards (13.4 yards per rush) against a Buffalo defense that was ill-prepared to handle Patterson (three jet sweeps for 54 yards) and wide receiver Phillip Dorsett’s speed to the edge (two jet sweeps for 13 yards).

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Led by do-it-all threat Cordarrelle Patterson, the Patriots lead the NFL in rushing attempts (51) and rushing yards (324) from the wide receiver position and rank third in the NFL in jet sweep frequency averaging 8.8 yards per play on sweeps.
In Sunday’s win against the Bills, the Patriots ran five speed sweeps for 67 yards (13.4 yards per rush) against a Buffalo defense that was ill-prepared to handle Patterson (three jet sweeps for 54 yards) and wide receiver Phillip Dorsett’s speed to the edge (two jet sweeps for 13 yards).

we should have sign bell instead....Pace forgot to pick up the phone

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Here's Patterson's scouting report from 2013......
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/cordarrelle-patterson?id=2540145

Strengths
Easily separates on vertical routes when given a free release. Very few wasted steps on cuts. Very smooth in his breaks. Finds soft areas in zone coverage between corners and safeties. Looks to turn upfield immediately after the catch. Very good with slants, quick head fake out allows for inside release, strong step forward, body catches to prevent pass breakup while shielding corner. Flashes swiping inside arm bar away on back shoulder throws to allow for free turn. Frequently hauls in the difficult catches, especially when the defensive back is draped on him. Not afraid to hand fight all the way along the sideline on vertical routes to create a sliver of separation. Understands hot read recognition when the corner blitzes. Builds speed quickly after the catch, almost gliding when in stride. Good vision with the ball in his hands, cuts upfield when he sees a lane. Used occasionally at running back, has the speed and wiggle to beat defenders to the edge while utilizing hesitations moves. Very nimble on his feet, especially for size. Makes plays out of nothing when carrying the ball. Numerous natural qualities to his game.

Weaknesses
Consistently a body catcher, even when it is not necessary. Was not frequently asked to go up and get the football at its highest point. Large number of his snaps start while off the line of scrimmage, allows for a better release. Doesn't use his hands enough against a jam, tries to dip or side step rather than slap or push. Tends to throttle down in his breaks.Burst after the catch or return is only adequate but does accelerate quickly. Tries to do too much when the ball is in his hands at times. Dropped a few very catchable balls, including easy bucket throw over shoulder. Inconsistent blocking effort.

NFL Comparison Demaryius Thomas

Bottom Line He may be considered raw with his ability to handle physical coverage, but Patterson is one of the more naturally talented pass catchers to come along in the last few years. He only has one year of tape against FBS level of competition, but from the first game Patterson showed his versatility by making plays from a variety of alignments. If the Vol can start using his hands to release off the line and tighten up some technique issues, he should be one of this class' top playmakers. He should be a first-round selection and could be the first receiver off the board.

Fuck his scouting report. We have film on him and we know what he can do. Better than a damn report.

Sent from my iPhone Xs Max using Tapatalk

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If only you could put Cohen's intangibles and skill in CP's body, you would have one hell of a player.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
If only you could put Cohen's intangibles and skill in CP's body, you would have one hell of a player.

How about work ethic. The dudes face is getting YUGE. He’s been stacking years of ending his days in a caloric surplus.

mammalspod

Liked Posts:
Bellamy was also a body type catcher and has developed into a fairly reliable catcher, AFTER, he dropped some big passes early on.

I watched some of his games last year, including the one against us, and he simply left me with the impression that he was a guy that could make some plays....

This is a great point, Mdbearz, that probably doesn't get stated enough. The Bears believe in their ability to develop talent, even well into the professional careers of their players. Seeing the play of guys like Bellamy and McManus last year it was almost like seeing different guys in their uniforms. I was frankly astonished at the restraint and polish of Bellamy's game last year.

I think The Bears like guys with ambiguous positional roles, like Cohen and now Patterson, because (especially with both on the field as has been noted) the personnel group of our offense play by play does not allow the defense to use the same sub packages as they would with certain players of more limited skill sets (ahem_jordanhoward_ahem)- woo, sorry, just clearing my throat there. Having both Cohen and Patterson on the field will likely force a lot of teams to sub out a linebacker, and that will allow our line to open huge running lanes. Patterson may not be either an elite level receiver, or an elite runner out of the backfield, but he is one of the few guys that is at least competent at each and also has big play ability.