The Bears' culture created by Matt Nagy is resonating across the NFL

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bears' culture created by Matt Nagy is resonating across the NFL

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/bears-culture-created-matt-nagy-resonating-across-nfl

Mike Davis, Buster Skrine and Cordarrelle Patterson offered their first public comments to the media as members of the Bears on Thursday, and each player independently brought up the same thing: How good their impression is of the culture at Halas Hall.

“Just the culture they’ve got, the swag they’ve brought in this whole entire year, the great year they had,” Patterson said, when asked what about the Bears appealed to him most. “The culture their coach brought in, I want to be a part of that culture.”

Patterson won a Super Bowl with the New England Patriots in February, and leaves a team with the ultimate winning culture. But for social media-active players, it would’ve been hard to miss the clips of “Club Dub,” or defensive celebrations, or innovative goal-line plays. Word, too, gets around the NFL from player to player, team to team, locker room to locker room.

And it’s clear that word got around about just how good a culture the Bears have.

“I definitely think a lot of players want to play for (Matt Nagy),” Skrine, who played for the New York Jets in 2018, said. “Just from the outside looking in, which is I was pretty much on last year, when you watch the Bears every week on ESPN, it looks they're having fun and they're winning. That's what everyone wants — you want to have fun while you're winning — but at the end of the day it is a business. But for me, just watching the Bears play last year, I could tell the team enjoyed doing what they were doing.”

Culture won’t create any additional cap space, nor will it win a team a Super Bowl. It’s important to have, but not more important than having good players and coaches.

Still, a good culture counts for something. And when players around the league are talking about how good a team’s culture is, that’s not to be dismissed.

“It’s a team on the rise,” Davis said. “They went 12-4 last year. It’s a playoff team. It’s a great city, Chicago. I’m ready to go to work.”

Eddie Jackson, Cody Whitehair earn sizable performance-based bonuses for 2018

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/b...r-earn-sizable-performance-based-bonuses-2018

It pays to play at a high level in the NFL.

Not only are Eddie Jackson and Cody Whitehair in line for lucrative contract extensions in the near future, but they earned an automatic bump in pay on their current contracts based on their performances in 2018.

Every player in the NFL is eligible to receive these bonuses based on their playing time compared to their salary, and the young safety and center were the biggest earners on the Bears roster this year.

Top Bears performance-based pay bonuses for 2018:
Jackson $323,450
Whitehair $243,266
Witzmann $224,162
Howard $218,974
Robertson-Harris $207,437
Cohen $199,160
Daniels $162,395
Nichols $157,403
A Miller $154,905
Amos $137,930
Braunecker $137,818
Irving $133,830

— Kevin Fishbain (@kfishbain) March 14, 2019
Jackson nearly doubled his salary for 2018, which was set with a base of just $555,000 as a fourth-round pick.

Nearly all of the Bears young contributors earned a bonus of some degree, along with veteran guard Bryan Witzmann, who started seven games on a minimum-salary contract of $630,000.

These bonuses don’t even count against the salary cap, so it’s just an added reward for inexpensive players who provide great value.

These types of players have been critical to Ryan Pace’s team-building strategy, allowing him to pursue top free agents and trade targets like Allen Robinson and Khalil Mack.

I would say that the boost in salary for all of these young guys is a great sign that the Bears have been killing it in the draft lately...

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Meanwhile in Detroit....

MMQB recently polled agents about which cities were the most and least desirable for their clients. Writes Robert Klemko: “The fourth-worst destination, Detroit, has the added knock of a locker room that appears dysfunctional to players looking in from the outside. ‘Especially with Matt ‘I think I’m Belichick but I haven’t done s---’ Patricia,’ one agent said.”