The Athletic Chicago’s sports radio poll is in, and the winners are…

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
As FA starts to wind down, something else to discuss. Jon Greenberg from The Athletic did a survey of people to determine their sports radio listening preferences beyond just Nielsen ratings.

This is an unlocked article, so hopefully no issues posting it here.

“Oh!”

Dan Bernstein, the longtime host at 670 The Score, is a man who knows a few things about everything, but what I told him was surprising.

He had won a key category in my Chicago sports radio poll: “Who is your favorite weekday sports radio driver in Chicago?”

But Bernstein is a pro and he quickly collected himself.

“What kind of sample size was it?”

Just fewer than 2,000 votes.

“That’s not bad.”

It’s the one-year anniversary of Jimmy deCastro’s scythe-swinging renovation at The Score. On March 14, 2018, it was announced that Dan McNeil was rejoining the station and moving to afternoons with the current mid-day host Danny Parkins. Bernstein moved to mid-days to host with former Score contest winner Connor McKnight, who was most recently the pre- and post-game host for White Sox radio broadcasts. Left without jobs were Matt Spiegel and Jason Goff, who were a popular mid-day tandem before Goff got Terry Boers’ old job to host alongside Bernstein in early 2017.

The mood was dark and deCastro, among others, was heavily criticized when it happened. But a year later, the smoke has cleared and normalcy has returned. Meanwhile at ESPN 1000…nothing has changed. Which is how they like it.

Rather than rely on arcane Nielsen ratings, I wanted to know what actual sports radio fans think about the shows, hosts and stations. So I created 20 questions in a non-scientific way, and put up a survey that ran for a week. There was no demographic breakdown, just 20 questions I thought of one day. I probably should have done show vs. show matchups, and I had a few other ideas after the fact, but I think it worked.

So, what were the results? Let’s break them down, starting with Bernstein’s victory.

For the “best driver” award, Bernstein got more than 31 percent of the vote in a six-host race. The next closest competitor was ESPN 1000’s Marc Silverman, who got 22 percent. This surprised me, as I thought Silvy would win. But perhaps I underestimated Bernstein’s continuing appeal and his longevity.

Chart_Q2_190314.png

Full article here: https://theathletic.com/869887/2019...ports-radio-survey-is-in-and-the-winners-are/

The full results can be found here, but I want to stress that everyone is a winner in my book. These are difficult jobs, and I agree with Rosen, that Chicago sports fans are blessed to have choices

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
"Waddle & Silvy weekly guest Dan “Barstool Big Cat” Katz won the write-in vote for best regular guest"

HA

gilder121

Donator
Liked Posts:
To be fair, I think that question was write in only.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Big Cat is a great guest.

gilder121

Donator
Liked Posts:

Liked Posts:
I'm not sure exactly why, but I'm not surprised you're a Barstool fan.
What problem do you have with big cat? He’s one of the most humble, down to earth guys who’s got a real funny schtick. Plus he’s a die hard fan at an organization where he kinda had to work hard carve out a Chicago following. Now guys like Eddie, gasmoney bob, whitesoxdave and chief are following in the footsteps and producing great content.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
Wait, Dan Bernstein was voted most favorite and not least favorite? I have a difficult time believing the accuracy of this poll. Maybe he'd "win" in both (most and least favorite poll). Or possibly many of the pollsters were simply voting for the name they recognized most.

Last edited:

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
What problem do you have with big cat? He’s one of the most humble, down to earth guys who’s got a real funny schtick. Plus he’s a die hard fan at an organization where he kinda had to work hard carve out a Chicago following. Now guys like Eddie, gasmoney bob, whitesoxdave and chief are following in the footsteps and producing great content.
I was making fun of Zack.

The Apostate

Liked Posts:
Not Bears related.

Mods please move to the "Who gives a fuck" forum.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I'm not sure exactly why, but I'm not surprised you're a Barstool fan.

Not really a big Barstool fan. I like Pardon My Take, Big Cat and a few others there. There are a lot of guys there I do not like at all.