Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
No they shouldn't. They would have no impact on this year's cap. Here's how it works:

If I sign a 5 year deal at 1m a year and then a 5 year extension at 5m per year as I head into my final year on the first contract it would look like this

Year 1 - 1m
Year 2 - 1m
Year 3 - 1m
Year 4 - 1m
Extension signed
Year 5 - 1m (the old contract was not terminated and the player resigned - he was EXTENDED)
Year 6 - 5m
Year 7 - 5m
Year 8 - 5m
Year 9 - 5m
Year 10 - 5m

Note, the extension only impacts later years (as it should).
Not exactly. Any signing bonus has immediate impact and would be prorated over a maximum of 5 years.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Factor this issue in why you do an extension early

Let’s look at nfl salaries

Collins got 14 mil a year. So let’s say we do an extension now for Jackson he would likely get around 15 mil a year. Wait next year 16 mil a year. Year after 18 mil a year and so on

Let’s look at Floyd. Marginal pass rushers like him got 14.5 mil a year. Do an extension now at same rate or let’s wait next year and it costs 16 mil a year and year after 18 mil and so on

And the same goes for every position. If you value the person long term and you believe they are worth the going rate it’s better now for the team to get the deal done. For the player it’s the gamble. As a player do I gamble on myself for that extra money or do I play it safe cause of injuries and sign early. Most nfl players want the deal done as soon as possible

Plus factor in new cba negotiations coming soon and that will add to players cost as well

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I did not realize he was cut, awesome! So then the perfect scenario is signing Houston, someone else signs lynch which would open up our 5th round comp pick. Giving us a 4th and a 5th. That would be an A+ free agency when you look at it in total.

Getting Houston would be great but if ya sit and think about what we still.need to do at OLB, K, P and depth signings and then some money for the draft picks and then you have to go into the season with some money on the books even if it's 2-3 mil then you see how quick that money goes and don't think there's any way we could get a guy like Houston. $16.5 mil is very little money.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
According to overthecap we still have the 4th round comp pick for Amos. Oddly the mike Davis signing cancelled out a 5th from Callahan.

I personally hope we are done with ufa to preserve that 4th. Resign Lynch for the 3rd pass rusher spot. None of the ufa in that range are better than him plus a 4th. Now the flip side is if lynch can get paid we could then sign another guy to the same range and they cancel out, still preserving the 4th. Maybe that’s the plan?

Get whitehair locked up. Save some cap for flexibility during the season and with potential cuts. Get ready for the Eddie Jackson extension cause that’s a major one.

Houston was cut and doesn’t count against comps. Same for Berry.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Getting Houston would be great but if ya sit and think about what we still.need to do at OLB, K, P and depth signings and then some money for the draft picks and then you have to go into the season with some money on the books even if it's 2-3 mil then you see how quick that money goes and don't think there's any way we could get a guy like Houston. $16.5 mil is very little money.

I keep forgetting about punter and kicker

I wonder if they just go with blewitt at kicker

rawdawg

Liked Posts:

The Bears aren't as bad off as you think. They really don't have very many depth needs. The Bears bring back the majority of their 2 deep depth chart from the 53 man roster last year.

QB- both guys back
RB- top 3 back, Davis added to replace Cunningham
WR- top 3 back, Bellamy and White replaced by Patterson and Hall
TE- top 3 back, Sims not replaced but finished the year on IR
OL- starting 5 back, Coward and Sowell back. Witzmann replaced by Larsen. Need to replace Kush

DL- all 6 from 53 man last year are back
OLB- 4 of top 5 are back, need to replace Lynch
ILB- all 4 guys are back
CB- outside starters back, as is Toliver and McManis. Skrine replaces Callahan. They only need to replace Marcus Williams, who never played.
S- Jackson and Bush are back. HCD replaces Amos. Only need to replace DHC. (and i just realized the Bears went from DHC to HCD in their safety group)
So, at this point the "depth" the Bears need other than a 3rd edge rusher are a 4th TE, 4th safety, 6th corner, and 9th offensive lineman. Need a kicker, punter, and long snapper, but those are chump change positions. You can pay Houston like 10Mil this year, and draft the other 4 positions, be a better team than 2018, and still have nearly 4 million in space to use during the season.

hester247

Liked Posts:
It would cancel the pick out unless another one of our ufa signs for around the same range as we signed Houston. At least that’s how I understand this, if I’m wrong please educate me. So yeah it might be a waiting game right now. I would prefer him as well all things equal.

View attachment 2630

from what I understand it would not cancel a compensation pick since he was cut. only FA count towards compensation picks

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No they shouldn't. They would have no impact on this year's cap. Here's how it works:

If I sign a 5 year deal at 1m a year and then a 5 year extension at 5m per year as I head into my final year on the first contract it would look like this

Year 1 - 1m
Year 2 - 1m
Year 3 - 1m
Year 4 - 1m
Extension signed
Year 5 - 1m (the old contract was not terminated and the player resigned - he was EXTENDED)
Year 6 - 5m
Year 7 - 5m
Year 8 - 5m
Year 9 - 5m
Year 10 - 5m

Note, the extension only impacts later years (as it should).

No, the extension can be structured however you want, including the last year of the dirt deal.

Eddie Goldman was suppose to make 1.5 million in 2018, signed an extension, and instead counted 4 million against the cap.

The final year of the rookie deal can be turned into whatever you want.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
The Bears aren't as bad off as you think. They really don't have very many depth needs. The Bears bring back the majority of their 2 deep depth chart from the 53 man roster last year.

QB- both guys back
RB- top 3 back, Davis added to replace Cunningham
WR- top 3 back, Bellamy and White replaced by Patterson and Hall
TE- top 3 back, Sims not replaced but finished the year on IR
OL- starting 5 back, Coward and Sowell back. Witzmann replaced by Larsen. Need to replace Kush

DL- all 6 from 53 man last year are back
OLB- 4 of top 5 are back, need to replace Lynch
ILB- all 4 guys are back
CB- outside starters back, as is Toliver and McManis. Skrine replaces Callahan. They only need to replace Marcus Williams, who never played.
S- Jackson and Bush are back. HCD replaces Amos. Only need to replace DHC. (and i just realized the Bears went from DHC to HCD in their safety group)
So, at this point the "depth" the Bears need other than a 3rd edge rusher are a 4th TE, 4th safety, 6th corner, and 9th offensive lineman. Need a kicker, punter, and long snapper, but those are chump change positions. You can pay Houston like 10Mil this year, and draft the other 4 positions, be a better team than 2018, and still have nearly 4 million in space to use during the season.

Okay and now tell us what you think we'd have to pay to get J.Houston (and don't try to lowball it cause the guy is still s legit player and only 30) and then how we're gonna get the 4th TE, 4th S, 6th CB, 9th OL, K, P, LS and have draft money and a couple mil to go into the season with? Not saying it can't be done but i think there might have to be another contract restructure (ARob, C.Daniel) done to do it to get J.Houston and all those other needs. It's real easy for us to sit on a computer and say what Pace should or could do but it's a whole different thing to actually do it.

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
Factor this issue in why you do an extension early

Let’s look at nfl salaries

Collins got 14 mil a year. So let’s say we do an extension now for Jackson he would likely get around 15 mil a year. Wait next year 16 mil a year. Year after 18 mil a year and so on

Let’s look at Floyd. Marginal pass rushers like him got 14.5 mil a year. Do an extension now at same rate or let’s wait next year and it costs 16 mil a year and year after 18 mil and so on

And the same goes for every position. If you value the person long term and you believe they are worth the going rate it’s better now for the team to get the deal done. For the player it’s the gamble. As a player do I gamble on myself for that extra money or do I play it safe cause of injuries and sign early. Most nfl players want the deal done as soon as possible

Plus factor in new cba negotiations coming soon and that will add to players cost as well

He also showed up in that playoff game, not a bad pick for that draft class

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Have the BEARs ever met with Houston ? Any rumors ??

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Okay and now tell us what you think we'd have to pay to get J.Houston (and don't try to lowball it cause the guy is still s legit player and only 30) and then how we're gonna get the 4th TE, 4th S, 6th CB, 9th OL, K, P, LS and have draft money and a couple mil to go into the season with? Not saying it can't be done but i think there might have to be another contract restructure (ARob, C.Daniel) done to do it to get J.Houston and all those other needs. It's real easy for us to sit on a computer and say what Pace should or could do but it's a whole different thing to actually do it.
I literally said how in my last paragraph.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Have the BEARs ever met with Houston ? Any rumors ??

Besides HaHa i don't think there were any rumors of the M.Davis, B.Skrine or M.Hall signings. But if a guy with a legit name like Houston is going to any interview then i think the media will catch it like HaHa.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Neither Houston or Lynch will count against comps so either one would be greatZ

Seems like they are waiting for dominoes, and ideal would be they get Houston, Lynch signs a tender that allows them the kicker they want without canceling comp!

Patience, but Houston is biggest prize left.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Neither Houston or Lynch will count against comps so either one would be greatZ

Seems like they are waiting for dominoes, and ideal would be they get Houston, Lynch signs a tender that allows them the kicker they want without canceling comp!

Patience, but Houston is biggest prize left.

Him or N.Suh but i gotta think Houston still gets around that $10 mil per mark and i just can't see any way for us to get there or even close unless we restructure another contract like ARob's and not sure that's something Pace wants to do but maybe he would to get a legit pass rusher like Houston. I also would think Houston would be looking for a starting job and not to be a 3rd or backup.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
It sucks that with $16m yet, Bears didn't get Wake (to Titans $23/3yr, $10 gtd, '$7/yr') or Suggs (to Cards $7m/1yr) ... who surprisingly just signed with new teams.

Looks like Justin Houston is a $13-16m/yr guy. There's no way Bears can afford him.

Rise

Liked Posts:
It sucks that with $16m yet, Bears didn't get Wake ($23/3yr $10 gtd Ten '$7/yr') or Suggs ($7m/1yr StL) ... who surprisingly just signed with new teams.

Looks like Justin Houston is a $12-15m/yr guy. There's no way Bears can afford him.

Gotta love Suggs at that price for one last year, even just to have the other players learn from his example. Can’t afford Houston if that’s the going rate so the best move is to just resign Lynch so we keep our comp pick.