Bears still have $16.75 left in cap space

Escobar's Army

Liked Posts:
We need another pass rusher; at a reasonable amount. Hopefully we can land Houston or Irving.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
The Bears aren't as bad off as you think. They really don't have very many depth needs. The Bears bring back the majority of their 2 deep depth chart from the 53 man roster last year.

QB- both guys back
RB- top 3 back, Davis added to replace Cunningham
WR- top 3 back, Bellamy and White replaced by Patterson and Hall
TE- top 3 back, Sims not replaced but finished the year on IR
OL- starting 5 back, Coward and Sowell back. Witzmann replaced by Larsen. Need to replace Kush

DL- all 6 from 53 man last year are back
OLB- 4 of top 5 are back, need to replace Lynch
ILB- all 4 guys are back
CB- outside starters back, as is Toliver and McManis. Skrine replaces Callahan. They only need to replace Marcus Williams, who never played.
S- Jackson and Bush are back. HCD replaces Amos. Only need to replace DHC. (and i just realized the Bears went from DHC to HCD in their safety group)
So, at this point the "depth" the Bears need other than a 3rd edge rusher are a 4th TE, 4th safety, 6th corner, and 9th offensive lineman. Need a kicker, punter, and long snapper, but those are chump change positions. You can pay Houston like 10Mil this year, and draft the other 4 positions, be a better team than 2018, and still have nearly 4 million in space to use during the season.

Plus, Wims is back at WR too.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm really liking this thread...gave out a ton of "thanks".

It's great that Pace has this flexibility to sit back & have the ability to jump on the right FA if he becomes avail.

I expect no more news til after the draft honestly, which is fine. See what he's able to haul in terms of depth and future cap saving replacements for Amuka, Long, and possibly a few others for 2020.

I find it funny how a few people (me included) are curious about & loving the possibility of a comp pick or 2, while others scoff at it. All good either way. It's a bonus, but losing one won't stop Pace from signing whoever he sees as a good player or keeping/letting go of Lynch for example.

Again - it's cool to have flexibility and much like the offense, "take what FA gives em".

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
The problem there though is you are creating other holes that still need to be filled and there are currently not any for sure replacements already on the roster. So then you are still spending either the money on an FA or a draft pick and likely both unless you decide to spend a ton in FA for a starter...in which case you should probably just keep Prince and/or Long. The other component for those two in particular will be their health. If they can stay healthy this year, then maybe you keep them. But if they continue to have health issues, Long especially, then you probably need to move on.
They wont be kept at their current cap and we do have a possible replacement at corner in Tolliver. He looked good last year but we also dont know right now if we have players that emerge from the draft. The cap space will be needed.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
According to overthecap we still have the 4th round comp pick for Amos. Oddly the mike Davis signing cancelled out a 5th from Callahan.

I personally hope we are done with ufa to preserve that 4th. Resign Lynch for the 3rd pass rusher spot. None of the ufa in that range are better than him plus a 4th. Now the flip side is if lynch can get paid we could then sign another guy to the same range and they cancel out, still preserving the 4th. Maybe that’s the plan?

Get whitehair locked up. Save some cap for flexibility during the season and with potential cuts. Get ready for the Eddie Jackson extension cause that’s a major one.

If we can sign a good pass rusher I am all for losing the comp pick....

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs

There is not much out there that would justify losing the pick. Ansah’s shoulder must be awful. Houston, Lynch and Perry are options that would not burn the pick.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Gotta love Suggs at that price for one last year, even just to have the other players learn from his example. Can’t afford Houston if that’s the going rate so the best move is to just resign Lynch so we keep our comp pick.
Lynch actually would cost the Bears a comp pick, because when he signs with another team that would free up another pick to the Bears

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Lynch actually would cost the Bears a comp pick, because when he signs with another team that would free up another pick to the Bears

Better not sign him then. We'll need that 7th round pick to draft our new all-pro pass rusher next year!

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Better not sign him then. We'll need that 7th round pick to draft our new all-pro pass rusher next year!
Maybe sign a better player like Houston and still get the comp pick, you Sunday morning douchebag. And it would project to be a 5th rnd comp by the way. So not just a dick, your a dumb dick to boot.

Rise

Liked Posts:

You’re exactly right. The perfect storm is sign Houston and someone else signs Lynch. If that’s the end of ufa Bears would get a much needed extra 4th and 5th next year.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Yeah i'm all about getting a legit pass rusher in here as our 3rd guy but it's slim pickings and each have question marks whether that be price, age, health or some have more than one.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If he's willing to spring for the shipping out of pocket, Pace could get this awesome display football holderfor $16.75.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOOTBALL-W...291050827713?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10
s-l1600.jpg

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I’m not making decisions based on comp picks. I’m doing whatever is best for us to have a Super Bowl caliber team in 2019. Nfl=not for long.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Maybe sign a better player like Houston and still get the comp pick, you Sunday morning douchebag. And it would project to be a 5th rnd comp by the way. So not just a dick, your a dumb dick to boot.

It's seemed to become a thing on here to make fun of the people that think the Bears should try to get comp picks but i don't understand it unless those people just don't seem to realize how good R.Pace has been with his mid round picks.

A.Amos
J.Howard
E.Jackson
T.Cohen
D.Bush--if a 4th round pick makes the 53 this long then it's a good pick
N.Kwiatkowski--^^^^^
B.Nichols
Iggy--to be continued
K.Fitts--to be continued
J.Wims--looked very solid in his limited time last year.

I know you can make some fun with some of those names (which is why i didn't list J.Bullard. LOL) but just remember where they were picked.

I also get that he shouldn't let comp picks get in his way of anything that can make the team better but if he can make the team better while getting ANY comp picks no matter what round they're in then he should do that. He's shown to be pretty active in drafts to where a 6th or 7th round comp pick could be made into something better.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
You’re exactly right. The perfect storm is sign Houston and someone else signs Lynch. If that’s the end of ufa Bears would get a much needed extra 4th and 5th next year.

Or sign N.Perry and bring S.Acho back on the real cheap. Would bringing Acho back hurt us in comp picks at all?

Getting J.Houston would be the signing that would set me off but i just can't see us affording him without doing another restructuring like ARob or C.Daniel or something.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
Pace has arguably been more successful in the mid rounds than in free agency. I say use let every free agent walk and stock up the picks every year.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Pace has arguably been more successful in the mid rounds than in free agency. I say use let every free agent walk and stock up the picks every year.

The key is identifying which ones to keep and which ones to let go. The Eddie Jackson’s of the world stay Bears for life.

Visionman

Liked Posts:

Debatable. But even if true, a team needs a solid mix of experience and young players. Especially when there are complex NFL schemes to run. Even the Pats with their million comp picks sign vet FAs every year to balance out their roster. They just don't often go to the overpriced ones...