Why Houston should come here

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the most the bears could offer is about 1 for 8 mil? Or 2 for 18? With Floyd off books.

I think if he came for one or two seasons and put up 12+ largely against single teams one v one...

He would be viewed as elite, collect hardware and get big pay day again. Maybe he collects 40 as is and bears don’t even have a chance. Houston seems like a rallying cry for teams with cap.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
Love Houston when he's healthy...that is the problem.

But if we've filled all the other holes we're going to fill in FA, then I agree why not take a shot on him?

He's the only difference maker left in FA besides Suh, and I don't see him fitting in here with our current DT situation.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
I'm down for it. I don't think the Bears should waste another contract on Floyd. We need another elite pass rusher opposite of Mack.

Resigning Floyd is just trying to find some sort of silver lining in drafting him in the first place...let him walk.

NorcalBear

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
We still need a kicker, punter, long snapper, other back up positions like tight end etc. I just dont see having the money for Houston.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We still need a kicker, punter, long snapper, other back up positions like tight end etc. I just dont see having the money for Houston.

The Dix contract would indicate they view situation as extremely tight. Maybe we are waiting on Lynch to come to our price potentially if he doesn’t get better offers, but justvas likrky could be a draft pick to OLB,

As we stand draft s, olb, rb, cb, TE, OT

And all of those picks are for development spots to save money next year basically, until you trade Howard and createva need.

So don’t.

NorcalBear

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Dix contract would indicate they view situation as extremely tight. Maybe we are waiting on Lynch to come to our price potentially if he doesn’t get better offers, but justvas likrky could be a draft pick to OLB,

As we stand draft s, olb, rb, cb, TE, OT

And all of those picks are for development spots to save money next year basically, until you trade Howard and createva need.

So don’t.

I'm willing to take some flak for this opinion but for me.. Mike Davis passes the eye test if I need to roll him out next year as the bell cow at least as much as my eyes showed me that Howard is not that special for us in our scheme. So I dont fear losing Howard (drafting a new RB or not). A tough running 3 down back like Davis , who can catch the ball.. is fine for me when you can run Cohen half the time as well. Also maybe Yeldon's price tag drops to a bargain.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Why he won’t: money

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Someone can correct me if Im off on my est... but Houston is about a $13-17mil/yr FA (his last contract was $15, he wasn't re-signed at a discount, still a 9 sack rusher, then inflation). We only have $16mil, with some other, likely minor, signings to do, not including any extensions.

So signing Houston is impossible.

Why would he take 1/2 what he can earn?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Someone can correct me if Im off on my est... but Houston is about a $13-17mil/yr FA (his last contract was $15, he wasn't re-signed at a discount, still a 9 sack rusher, then inflation). We only have $16mil, with some other, likely minor, signings to do, not including any extensions.

So signing Houston is impossible.

Why would he take 1/2 what he can earn?

It would 100% have to be ring hunting for him.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Why he won’t: money

Houston has made over $71 million probably close to $80-$90 million in his lifetime. If you think he's still playing football for cash you're crazy, he has plenty of avenues he could be taking now that doesn't involve getting concussions.

NorcalBear

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Houston has made over $71 million probably close to $80-$90 million in his lifetime. If you think he's still playing football for cash you're crazy, he has plenty of avenues he could be taking now that doesn't involve getting concussions.

I dont know what this means. Concussions.. then that's exactly why he is not giving up an extra 5 to 8 million a year and play for far less than he's worth. Ring chasing.. playing for the Bears is not like joining the Warriors. Doubtful anyone plays for HALF they are worth for a 1/12 chance of winning a Superbowl.. or 8% chance. Maybe if he was 34 and had opportunity to go to what appears to be a top 2 team (or Patriots).. not 30 years old do you give up many millions.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I dont know what this means. Concussions.. then that's exactly why he is not giving up an extra 5 to 8 million a year and play for far less than he's worth. Ring chasing.. playing for the Bears is not like joining the Warriors. Doubtful anyone plays for HALF they are worth for a 1/12 chance of winning a Superbowl.. or 8% chance. Maybe if he was 34 and had opportunity to go to what appears to be a top 2 team (or Patriots).. not 30 years old do you give up many millions.

Clinton-Dix probably took 1/2 of what he was worth.

Houston is interesting, because he's not ancient like Suggs and Wake are. So, he's probably still looking for a long-term deal. But just because he made 15Mil last year, doesn't mean he's going to get that this year. The team that saw him in practice everyday didn't deem him to be worth that and cut him. I still think he likely gets 10Mil, but not so sure he gets that for more than 2 years. I think the Bears would offer him like 8, but they could offer 10 with some more maneuvering.

The draft class isn't going to be that expensive due to the lack of high picks. They still could cut a couple million each by getting rid of Sowell, trading Howard, and extending Daniel.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Depends on what he thinks of Matt Nagy and the only team with a high chance of going to the Superbowl is the Patriots and Saints and it's not sure if they have any interest, the Rams have Jared Goff holding them back, Chiefs let him go, Chargers tend to fold pretty fast, Eagles QB can't stay healthy.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes, only on a, "I want to play in Chicago" discount.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Why the Bears have to sign Justin Houston.

http://theloopsports.com/2019/03/17/why-bears-have-to-sign-justin-houston/

In one of the more ridiculous player acquisition periods of the past decade, the Bears were forced to stay relatively quiet.

While the Ravens inked Earl Thomas to a monstrous four-year, $52 million contract, Chicago brought in Ha Ha Clinton-Dix on an affordable, short-term deal. Le’Veon Bell chose to take his talents and his catastrophically terrible rap album to East Rutherford, New Jersey, so the Bears worked through the lower tier of the running back market and wound up with Mike Davis.

Even though my main argument heading into free agency was that the Bears should remain aggressive, I’m not terribly mad. Thomas, Bell, and Tyrann Mathieu, along with quite a few others at positions of need, were given long-term deals well out of Chicago’s price range. There was nothing they could do about that, and most of their main targets are either signed or gone.

However, there is still one major free agent out there whose signing with Chicago would make a statement. One man remains on the market who could vault the Bears over the top.

His name, of course, is Justin Houston.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
As someone who hasn't made $80mil in the NFL over a decade, I think like you do on that. But I think the reality is your thought here is wild speculation. I think you've probably heard a high percentage of former NFL millionaires are broke a few years after they're out of the NFL. Many NFL players, like most other millionaires, spend an equal lifestyle. Especially with the mansion, property taxes, and whatever. Houston maybe spending at a rate that would blow our minds, and doesn't plan on stopping.

Wake and Suggs didn't sign with Superbowl teams. Suggs has a ring, but Wake don't.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
As someone who hasn't made $80mil in the NFL over a decade, I think like you do on that. But I think the reality is your thought here is wild speculation. I think you've probably heard a high percentage of former NFL millionaires are broke a few years after they're out of the NFL. Many NFL players, like most other millionaires, spend an equal lifestyle. Especially with the mansion, property taxes, and whatever. Houston maybe spending at a rate that would blow our minds, and doesn't plan on stopping.

Wake and Suggs didn't sign with Superbowl teams. Suggs has a ring, but Wake don't.

Okay...So you just responded to my post by speculating on what could happen on the opposite end if he's not smart with his money. I'm just saying it's a possibility he could come to the Bears if money isn't an issue for him.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Okay...So you just responded to my post by speculating on what could happen on the opposite end if he's not smart with his money. I'm just saying it's a possibility he could come to the Bears if money isn't an issue for him.
Fair enough. = ) If he's not playing for money anymore, Chicago is his place.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
I'm down for it. I don't think the Bears should waste another contract on Floyd. We need another elite pass rusher opposite of Mack.

Resigning Floyd is just trying to find some sort of silver lining in drafting him in the first place...let him walk.

No. Floyd came on last year at the end of the season and is young. Houston is just a short term signing.