Rapoport: Chicago is a Destination

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
What team isn't a destination for free agents? Sounds like something remydat would say.
Green Bay. I would never play in Green Bay.

Unless of course they offered me a lot of money to play football. Then I could be convinced. But aside from that, I would never play in Green Bay

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
What team isn't a destination for free agents? Sounds like something remydat would say.

You're kidding, right?

Their are shitty teams that usually end up paying big for bad players because the good player only use these teams to drive up the price before signing with a good team. Think the Jets.

Then there are regular teams who sign regular players for good prices and better players for top salaries.

Then there are the destination teams who get players to sign with them for a lower prices to come play for them. The Patriots have been a destination team since Brady played.

Making Chicago a destination city is one of the biggest things that Pace could have done. It could bring players like Houston or at least Ha Ha Dix at discounted prices which could also lead to comp picks in future years as some of these discounted players earn big salaries in other cities.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
You're kidding, right?

Their are shitty teams that usually end up paying big for bad players because the good player only use these teams to drive up the price before signing with a good team. Think the Jets.

Jets sign Leveon Bell. Bears sign Mike Davis. Ha Ha Dix is on his 3rd team in two years.

Patriots usually sign problem players that other teams wouldn't touch. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I'm sure players want to come to Chicago. They are a good team. But I'm not sure which team isn't a destination for free agents. Bears/Pace signed more free agents when they were bad and had more cap room...basic economics.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Jets sign Leveon Bell. Bears sign Mike Davis. Ha Ha Dix is on his 3rd team in two years.

Patriots usually sign problem players that other teams wouldn't touch. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I'm sure players want to come to Chicago. They are a good team. But I'm not sure which team isn't a destination for free agents. Bears/Pace signed more free agents when they were bad and had more cap room...basic economics.

"Destination" means a place where free agents WANT to go, all things being equal.

If a team offers 50% more money they will go to a poor tem or poor organization. But given two similar offers, the "destination" team wins.

What teams are NOT? Chicago, 3-4 years ago. Cleveland, until this offseason. There are many. Think Arizona is a desirable team to join right now? Or Miami, for example? Cincinnati? Detroit?

And before you say these teams did get free agents, look at what they had to pay, and see what grades the independent football people give those signings.

Comparing a signing to the Bears' acquisition of Mike Davis is unfair, as that is a depth signing in a year where the Bears have cap issues. Yet the Bears did land a safety at 1/3 the price of others who were not significantly better, for less than he was offered by a team where he was familiar with them.

It is rather plain to see that the Bears now vs the Bears a few years ago are far, far more attractive. Fox/Cutler vs Nagy/Trubisky can do that. Whether Trbisky is ever top level will remain to be seen, but players perceive the Bears have their GM, Coach and QB in place, and that is a huge, huge factor.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:

its not that your not a destination for free agents, its that in general you have to overpay to get those free agents to come...and in fewer cases there are those that simply don't want to play for a particular team for whatever reason. Would HHCD really come to the bears for 3.5 mill if the bears were bad and/or their culture was terrible? He supposedly had a multi year offer for much greater than 3.5 mill. There are some players that could care less about winning and simply want to earn as much money as possible, there are others that want to win and will sacrifice money to make it happen.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
its not that your not a destination for free agents, its that in general you have to overpay to get those free agents to come...and in fewer cases there are those that simply don't want to play for a particular team for whatever reason. Would HHCD really come to the bears for 3.5 mill if the bears were bad and/or their culture was terrible? He supposedly had a multi year offer for much greater than 3.5 mill. There are some players that could care less about winning and simply want to earn as much money as possible, there are others that want to win and will sacrifice money to make it happen.

The multiyear offers were too small for HHCD, so he proactively signed a 1 year deal so he can be a FA in 2020. He is trying to maximize his overall earnings.

I'm not saying that the Bears aren't a destination for FAs, I simply asked what team ISN'T a destination for FAs? Its all dependent on money and cap space 95% of the time. The "all things being equal" scenario rarely comes into play. FAs sign with bad teams every year...that is how the cap is designed.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

The only players that want to come to Chicago are the ones that fall right into R.Pace's lap.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
The only players that want to come to Chicago are the ones that fall right into R.Pace's lap.

I heard Kareem Hunt tried to fall into R.Pace's lap, but missed.

Josh Sitton "In Pace's Lap", tho

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
The multiyear offers were too small for HHCD, so he proactively signed a 1 year deal so he can be a FA in 2020. He is trying to maximize his overall earnings.

I'm not saying that the Bears aren't a destination for FAs, I simply asked what team ISN'T a destination for FAs? Its all dependent on money and cap space 95% of the time. The "all things being equal" scenario rarely comes into play. FAs sign with bad teams every year...that is how the cap is designed.

all teams are a destination for FA's, as I said its all about how much more they want to overpay to bring them in.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Though to a degree, Chicsgo’s weather sucks (it isn’t Miami, Tampa, LA, etc...), Chicago is a pretty good city. Tons of entertainment, restaurants, bars, social opportunities. The fan base treats the players well. The team has a long history the people are proud of. It isn’t Buffalo or Green Bay. If they don’t fuck it up, the Bears could be in a good place for a while.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Though to a degree, Chicsgo’s weather sucks (it isn’t Miami, Tampa, LA, etc...), Chicago is a pretty good city. Tons of entertainment, restaurants, bars, social opportunities. The fan base treats the players well. The team has a long history the people are proud of. It isn’t Buffalo or Green Bay. If they don’t fuck it up, the Bears could be in a good place for a while.

Plus, in football the players offseason is summertime...and Chicago is fucking great in the summertime.

BradyJay

Liked Posts:
Plus, in football the players offseason is summertime...and Chicago is fucking great in the summertime.

Yeah...cause players like to hangout where they work in the offseason lol

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:

Was it possible for the Bears to sign Bell at the salary that he got without destroying the team in the future?

Please keep the stupid arguments out of the discussion. Of course a team with a ton of cap space is going to beat out a team with no cap room for a top shelf player.

A team like the Jets who is really bad but has a ton of cap space is not always going to get the players. Sometimes a player uses a bad team to raise the contract he will receive from another, better team (the Bulls for the last decade or so have been the perfect example of this) with zero intent of going to the bad team. If you do not believe that this happens, you are just clueless and not worth responding to (just so you know, I enjoy reading your comments though I do not always agree with you).

As for the Patriots, players like Junior Seau was not a problem player but went there for a discount to win a ring. The problem players were going to Cincinnati.

As for Ha Ha Dix, though technically true about 3 teams in 2 years (you could have gone 3 teams in 10 months or so), your comment is underhanded. The Packers decided to get something out of a player that they were not going to bring back in a lost season (though he was averaging .5 interceptions per game). The Redskins used him as one year rental ... and tried to bring him back!

Dix decided to refuse more money from Washington to come to a destination team.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Yeah...cause players like to hangout where they work in the offseason lol

Perhaps not, I would venture every player is different in how much they “vacation.” Nonetheless, you’re going to spend some time in the offseason in the city you play in