Re-signings

S Deandre Houston-Carson 1 year 850k/250k guaranteed

P Pat O'Donnell 1 year 1.5 million/250k guaranteed

LS Pat Scales 1 year 950k/250k guaranteed

Free Agents

OLB Bruce Irvin [Atlanta] 1 year 5 million/4 guaranteed

*100k/sack
*50K/per game active

Still and explosive athlete and still able to get to the QB after getting 6.5 sacks last season. He is close to Khalil Mack and coming to Chicago gives him a chance at a ring, a chance to re-unite with his friend, and to earn a solid pay check. By putting incentives in the deal Irvin can earn as much or more than Suggs and the Bears can keep some of the cap hit next season where the incentives would count.

images

Draft

3[87] CB Justin Layne [Michigan St] 6'2" 192lbs, 4.5 [40], 37.5" vert, 11'2"broad

The Bears need a starting CB in 2020 and they need him to be making far less than Prince. Money needs to be shifted to Whitehair, Jackson, and Cohen. The Bears need to add another young athletic option to compete with Tolliver to replace Prince and be the primary backup outside in 2019. Layne has a lot of similar physical tools to Tolliver, he is big, long, and an explosive athlete. He has the size and movement skills to play in a press man system and allow the Bears to blitz while disurpting the route. Layne had 15 passes defensed and 1 interception last season, his 2nd as a CB after switching from WR. Layne is still raw and their is untapped upside here. When you are competing for a championship you cannot run out of CBs.

college-football-michigan-state-vs-iowa---september-30-2017-b008cea5d656f416.jpg

4[126] S Mike Edwards [Kentucky] 5'11" 205lbs.

The Bears are going to need a starting safety in 2020 because if HHCD plays well he will easily price himself out of Chicago. Ideally, the guy playing next to Eddie Jackson will be on a cheap rookie deal. Edwards has the ability to play FS, at Kentucky he had 23 passes defensed and 10 career interceptions. By having a player with his coverage ability it allows the Bears to not have to change up the defense if Jackson or HHCD are injured in 2019 and it gives them a similar player to HHCD to replace him in 2020.

Mike+Edwards+Kentucky+v+South+Carolina+VrnDFmwW02Pl.jpg

5[162] RB Devine Ozigbo [Nebraska] 6' 233lbs, 4.53 [40], 37" vert, 10'4" broad

I am not sure if there is going to be a market for Howard strong enough to trade him. He is coming off his worst year, his salary tripled, and I am not interested in giving him away for some late round pick. The Bears however need to think about replacing him for 2020, or even in 2019 if Ozigbo really hits the ground running. Ozigbo has the size that Howard has with significantly more explosion and big play potential. Last season Ozigbo averaged 7 yards per carry, had carries of 35, 37, 59, and 66. He also added 23 receptions. The Bears can develop the ultra athletic Ozigbo, while Howard, Davis and Cohen handle the load for 2019. But if the Bears want a RBBC and they need someone to be the big body with some break away ability then Ozigbo is a nice fit.

jxlxytwumclxewgczey9

7[222] OG Phil Haynes [Wake Forest] 6'4" 322lbs, 33.5" arms, 5.2 [40], 33 reps, 31" vert, 9'2" broad

The Bears need a starting RG in 2020 as Long's deal is really just a one year deal. The Bears also need to start getting some people who can move people in the power run game, which they struggled at last season. Haynes is a big, long armed, people mover. He is a physically imposing player that thrives in the power run game and in putting people on their backs. Haynes gets a year with Heistand to develop and compete with Coward at RG in 2020.

p-505x400.jpg

7[238] TE Drew Sample [Washington] 6'5" 255lbs, 4.71 [40], 33.5" vert, 9'7" broad

The Bears need Adam Shaheen to stay healthy and step up. At this point he is a blocking only TE and no where near the receiving threat that the Bears sold him as at draft time. Not having a 2nd receiving threat at TE left the offense out of sorts against the Eagles. Sample has not done a lot as a receiver and was not a big part of Washington's passing game, but he has the size and athletic ability to be developed into something. Sample had a solid week at the Senior Bowl and at least gives the Bears another option a long with Braunecker if Shaheen continues to be useless in the passing game.

6XQKCLHVM5DVXKU3DTBKL76OL4.jpg

UDFA

P Zach Sinor [OK St] 6'1" 210lbs.

We know that O'Donnell is a mediocre punter and in the biggest moment last season he wasn't good, so the Bears are going to need some cheap competition for him. Sinor comes in and competes during the summer. Ideally, he takes the job and we can save a million dollars.

5b69f518bbcea.image.jpg

K Matt Gay [Utah] 6' 230lbs.

Big leg and has kicked in some bad weather in Utah. He comes in to compete with Redford Jones with the other potentially going to the PR in case the other struggles and to provide season long competition.

7935796.jpg

Depth Chart

QB: Trubisky, Daniel
RB: Howard, Davis, Cohen, Mizzell
WR: Robinson, Gabriel, Miller, Patterson, Wims, Hall
TE: Burton, Shaheen, Braunecker, Sample
LT: Leno, Sowell
LG: Daniels
C: Whitehair, Larsen
RG: Long, Haynes
RT: Massie, Coward

RE: RRH, Bullard
NT: Goldman, Nichols
LE: Hicks, Williams
OLB: Floyd, Irving, Fitts
ILB: Smith, Iggy
ILB: Trevathan, Kwitkowski
OLB: Mack, Irvin
CB: Fuller, Prince, Skrine, Layne, Tolliver, McManis
FS: Jackson, Edwards, DHC
SS: Clinton-Dix, Bush

K: Gay/Jones
P: O'Donnell/Sinor
LS: Scales

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I’ve been saying day one fa irvin is my guy I want as a situational pass rusher

He definitely isn’t starting material but you can put him in situations that will frustrate the hell out of a qb

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Considering our kicker situation and desirability as destination, we should have dibs on any UDFA kickers.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Wait, so we use our 5th round pick on D.Ozigbo but he doesn't make your 53 man roster? Splain yourself?

Mike Kaye

@mike_e_kaye
#Temple RB Ryquell Armstead has a workout with the #Bears tomorrow.

12:48 PM - Mar 18, 2019 · Philadelphia, PA

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Irvin signed with Carolina today.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
How bout Mark Fields (Clemson CB) to take over for B.Skrine in a year or two or maybe even for Prince in a year?

https://email.fansided.com/c/eJx1Tk..._Pzfn_9eQxninrPmW22jqPGH398dkp2QXTupamXy0DW2Q

The Chicago Bears need help at the cornerback position, and a proven winner like Mark Fields could be the answer.
Last week, the Chicago Bears opened free agency by signing cornerback Buster Skrine. The former New York Jets nickel cornerback drew high praise from Bear’s head coach Matt Nagy when the Jets came to Soldier Field to take on the team last October.

Nagy said of Skrine “he’s one of the better nickel corners in the game, if not the best.” In retrospect, perhaps we should have taken greater notice of the comment. It was kind of an odd (and unprompted) response, especially considering the fact that the Bears themselves had one of, if not the best, nickel corner in the league last year in Bryce Callahan. However, Nagy was obviously intrigued by Skrine’s game.

Unfortunately, for Callahan, he has been limited throughout his career by injuries. In fact, he has yet to play a full 16-game season for the Bears since being signed as an undrafted free agent out of Rice University back in 2015.

As a result, the Bears were reluctant to invest the long term dollars in Callahan that he was looking for this offseason and decided to let him walk. Callahan has since reunited with Vic Fangio in Denver, while Skrine will attempt to fill Callahan’s shoes in the nickel spot.

However, Skrine will be 30-years old at the start of the season, so it would make a lot of sense for the team to look to the NFL Draft for a longer-term replacement. When they do, they will find the perfect option to take over the nickel spot in Clemson’s Mark Fields.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
How bout Mark Fields (Clemson CB) to take over for B.Skrine in a year or two or maybe even for Prince in a year?

https://email.fansided.com/c/eJx1Tk..._Pzfn_9eQxninrPmW22jqPGH398dkp2QXTupamXy0DW2Q

The Chicago Bears need help at the cornerback position, and a proven winner like Mark Fields could be the answer.
Last week, the Chicago Bears opened free agency by signing cornerback Buster Skrine. The former New York Jets nickel cornerback drew high praise from Bear’s head coach Matt Nagy when the Jets came to Soldier Field to take on the team last October.

Nagy said of Skrine “he’s one of the better nickel corners in the game, if not the best.” In retrospect, perhaps we should have taken greater notice of the comment. It was kind of an odd (and unprompted) response, especially considering the fact that the Bears themselves had one of, if not the best, nickel corner in the league last year in Bryce Callahan. However, Nagy was obviously intrigued by Skrine’s game.

Unfortunately, for Callahan, he has been limited throughout his career by injuries. In fact, he has yet to play a full 16-game season for the Bears since being signed as an undrafted free agent out of Rice University back in 2015.

As a result, the Bears were reluctant to invest the long term dollars in Callahan that he was looking for this offseason and decided to let him walk. Callahan has since reunited with Vic Fangio in Denver, while Skrine will attempt to fill Callahan’s shoes in the nickel spot.

However, Skrine will be 30-years old at the start of the season, so it would make a lot of sense for the team to look to the NFL Draft for a longer-term replacement. When they do, they will find the perfect option to take over the nickel spot in Clemson’s Mark Fields.
Reminds me a bit like verrett i wouldn't hate the pick round 4-5

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The way free agency has gone and given Pace's history I think anything is possible in the draft. I know everyone thinks they go RB but I can't see Pace reaching for one. Pace won't try and fill holes in the draft... it'll be 100% BPA.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
The way free agency has gone and given Pace's history I think anything is possible in the draft. I know everyone thinks they go RB but I can't see Pace reaching for one. Pace won't try and fill holes in the draft... it'll be 100% BPA.
Also expect Pace to try to move up from that low third round pick if he can.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
So i guess we don't have a thread that's just for draft talk, which i get since we're not on the board with our 1st pick until late 3rd round, so i'll just put this here until Windy or whoever opens up a draft thread.

Bears have a visit set up with TCU Edge rusher LJ Collier. Not sure where he's ranked among edge rushers but good to see he has his eye on that position cause i see that 3rd edge rush spot as a huge need and hope it's taken care of in free agency and then still draft this kid where we can get him if they end up liking him.

https://twitter.com/NFLDraftInsider/status/1108562991849574400

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
3rd Player with possibilities.
4th Nobody
5th Nobody
7th OMG, 2 greats

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Visited this thread 3 times..still don't like the picks. I want to see at least one starter drafted.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Visited this thread 3 times..still don't like the picks. I want to see at least one starter drafted.

Day one starter probably isn't going to happen. Midseason starter could depending on what positions they draft 3 & 4. I could see oline or RB in those rounds making it with Pace's drafting ability, but I don't know if those will be needs by the draft.
Otherwise it's a year 2 starter or depth draft.