2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Nice, Fire news on CCS!

giaco

Liked Posts:
Peter Lowry tweeted us from Portland today to congratulate us on picking up his former classmate and also that if we keep him around and he shapes up, he'll be our next CJ......

That's some damn high praise.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Peter Lowry tweeted us from Portland today to congratulate us on picking up his former classmate and also that if we keep him around and he shapes up, he'll be our next CJ......

That's some damn high praise.

:clap:

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
You can expect a lot more Fire stuff on the home page. I am going to be looking for legitimate Fire writers like we have for the other teams.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
You can expect a lot more Fire stuff on the home page. I am going to be looking for legitimate Fire writers like we have for the other teams.

Chi-Fire has season tickets, maybe he could recruit there. :shrug:

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
I might buy a pair of season tickets and then give them away.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I might buy a pair of season tickets and then give them away.

That would draw in a load of fans I bet.

BTW, the most committed Fire Fans are the Section 8 fans, like tony and giaco. They would probably be the most interested in joining the site.

Although they probably have season tickets already anyway. :shrug:

Still, that would draw in a lot of fans.

Would it be a raffle for new members or something?

Chi-Fire

#1 Fire Fan
Liked Posts:
NO IM THE BIGGEST FAN dude my tickkets r next to section 8
ya i hope this guy will be the next cj brown but were gonna need more than just him

tonyni

Liked Posts:
Last edited:

dashroc

Liked Posts:
I'm really happy with this signing. Seems like a highly regarded and promising pick. Glad to see that we are working on building a strong back line what with CJ and Conde leaving, though those are some fairly large shoes to fill. Plus I know it's tempting to blow it all on an expensive forward... though we could certainly use some experience up front. I'm hoping that the coaching staff have their eyes fixed to Europe and/or Mexico looking for experience and creativity for the front line.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Thanks for the Twitter link Tony!

giaco

Liked Posts:
ANIBABA AND HIS SIZE 14 FEET!

To the tune of Beastie Boys AliBaba and the 40 thieves.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIikcGo_dgU]YouTube - Rhymin' and Stealin' - Beastie Boys[/ame]

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Longer analysis from ESPNChicago:
The Chicago Fire selected North Carolina defender Jalil Anibaba with the ninth overall pick at the 2011 MLS SuperDraft on Thursday at the Baltimore Convention Center.

Chicago also chose forward and Elmhurst native Jason Herrick (Maryland, 45th overall) and forward Davis Paul (California, 51st overall) in the third round. The Fire traded their 49th overall pick to Toronto FC in exchange for goalkeeper Jon Conway.

Anibaba joins a vastly changed Fire defense, so the opportunity is there for the 22-year-old native of Davis, Calif., to step up into an immediate role on the back line. During the offseason, Chicago acquired Cory Gibbs in the re-entry draft and signed Josip Mikulic earlier in the week as the Fire try to overcome the losses of C.J. Brown to retirement and Wilman Conde who signed with Atlas.

"Ultimately, that's the coach's decision," Anibaba said of whether he would get the opportunity to start right away. "I'm going in with an open mind and will contribute in any way possible. I hope I can fit in well. That's the hope for all players. I'm just excited to get started, and if I have the opportunity to step in, it will be an honor."

"He can play center back, right back ... he's a good athlete, a good technical player," Fire technical director Frank Klopas said. "He's got a lot of upside. I think he can have an impact right away. We expect him to be able to compete for a starting spot."

Anibaba started in 84 of 85 games during his collegiate career at North Carolina and previously at Santa Clara. Anibaba contributed three goals and five assists. In 2010, Anibaba was named NSCAA Second Team All-America, NSCAA First Team All-Region, First Team All-ACC and ACC All-Tournament Team.

In addition to his collegiate accolades, the central defender impressed at this year's MLS Combine and was awarded the 2011 Tom Fitzgerald MVP.

"I definitely took a bit of confidence out of the combine. It went well," Anibaba said. "But it's not something I was stressing about after the fact. It's one of those things where it's just the combine. It's just another step to being a professional. By no means was it playing professional soccer, playing in professional matches. You have to come down from cloud nine and realize it's the combine. It's time for the big-time."

Anibaba briefly played in the midfield when he first joined Santa Clara, but he has been on the defensive side of the ball ever since.

"Growing up I was an attacking player and rarely ever played defense," Anibaba said. "I'm a full-fledged defender now. But as far as other positions, I'm open to anything."

Herrick, 23, played club soccer with the Chicago Sockers and helped them to four Illinois State Cup titles. At Maryland, Herrick started in 80 of 81 games, scored 29 goals and contributed 13 assists. He was named to the 2009 and 2010 First Team All-ACC.

"We needed someone who's around the box and a good player," Klopas said of Herrick. "He has very good feet, he's smart, intelligent with the line he makes. We were surprised that he fell that low, but that was good for us. We had him pretty high."

Paul, 22, a native of Upland, Calif., started in 54 of 78 games for California, posting 21 assists and 15 goals. In 2010, Paul was an NSCAA Third-Team All-American, NSCAA First Team Far West Region and First Team All-Pac-10.

Thursday's draft started with a surprise selection for most analysts as the Vancouver Whitecaps chose 17-year-old Omar Salgado (U.S. U-20s) with the top pick. The projected top selections, Akron forward/midfielder Darlington Nagbe and Akron midfielder Perry Kitchen, went to the Portland Timbers and D.C. United with the respective second and third picks. Five Akron players were selected among the draft's first eight picks.

Also during the draft, former Fire forward Chad Barrett was traded from Toronto FC to the Los Angeles Galaxy for future considerations.

2011 MLS SuperDraft first-round selections
1. Vancouver Whitecaps: Omar Salgado, F (U.S. U-20s)
2. Portland Timbers: Darlington Nagbe, F/M (Akron)
3. D.C. United: Perry Kitchen, M (Akron)
4. Chivas USA: Zarek Valentin, D (Akron)
5. Philadelphia Union: Zac MacMath, GK (Maryland)
6. New England Revolution: A.J. Soares, D (California)
7. Houston Dynamo: Kofi Sarkodie, D (Akron)
8. Vancouver Whitecaps (from Toronto FC): Michael Nanchoff, M (Akron)
9. Chicago Fire: Jalil Anibaba, D (North Carolina)
10. Sporting Kansas City: C.J. Sapong, F (James Madison)
11. Houston Dynamo (from Portland Timbers, from Seattle Sounders FC): Will Bruin, F (Indiana)
12. Columbus Crew: Rich Balchan, D (Indiana)
13. New York Red Bulls: Corey Hertzog, F (Penn State)
14. Chivas USA (from Real Salt Lake): Victor Estupinan, F (LDU Quito, Ecuador)
15. Columbus Crew (from San Jose Earthquakes): Justin Meram, F (Michigan)
16. Los Angeles Galaxy: Paolo Cardozo, M (Quilmes, Argentina)
17. FC Dallas: Bobby Warshaw, D (Stanford)
18. Colorado Rapids: Eddie Ababio, D (North Carolina)

Chicago Fire's other selections
Third round
45. Jason Herrick, F (Maryland)
51. Davis Paul, F (California)

Analysis: From a talent standpoint, it appears that the Fire maximized as best as they could without having a second-round selection. Some folks were touting Anibaba as a top-five pick, so to get some added depth and strength in the back always is a plus.

The Fire also added some much-needed front-line players in Herrick and Paul. But clearly Chicago is lacking proven forwards up front. That will happen when you lose a U.S. soccer legend in Brian McBride to retirement.

Anyone who thought the draft would be the remedy for Chicago's roster gaps is sorely mistaken. Even if the Fire passed up on Anibaba and went with a Will Bruin or Corey Hertzog, Chicago still would have this dilemma.

The Fire's priority between now and preseason is getting some proven leadership in the midfield and up front. They have some strong creative talent with the likes of Patrick Nyarko and Marco Pappa, and the defensive side will look stable once Gonzalo Segares' fitness level returns. But Chicago has a long way to go -- obviously this is not the team from a couple seasons ago.