Roy Oswalt

Big Z

Byrd is the Word!
Liked Posts:
So Roy Oswalt has requested a trade away from the Astros. Do you think the Cubs could/should go after him?

It's been reported that he craves 'stability and a shot at the World Series'. He also has a no-trade clause and apparently the three prefered destinations for him were the Cards, Braves and White Sox. Well the Cards IMO have too much money locked up elsewhere and they need hitting more than pitching. Braves are probably the same, plus they're quite a bit behind the Phillies. Finally the White Sox are doing no better than the Cubs and apparently he wants to stay close-ish to Houston.

It's probably a long shot and won't realistically happen but I'd love to see Oswalt at the Cubs, what do you guys think?

WCulbertson

Grammer Po-Po
Liked Posts:
No, for a few reasons.

1. We have a ton of quality starting pitchers on the ML roster.
2. We have a few kids (Cashner and Jackson) on the way to the rotation.
3. At this point, Oswalt is injury prone and will NOT be worth the ransom we'd have to pay for him.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
No:
We already have 7 starter-quality pitchers: Zambrano, Lilly, Dempster, Wells, Gorzelanny, Silva, and Marshall, then there is Jay Jackson and Andrew Cashner in Iowa. Don't want to increase payroll for him, unless we actually needed him. And I'd rather trade for a reliever.

CubbieBlue

Go Cubs Go!
Liked Posts:
No, for a few reasons.

1. We have a ton of quality starting pitchers on the ML roster.
2. We have a few kids (Cashner and Jackson) on the way to the rotation.
3. At this point, Oswalt is injury prone and will NOT be worth the ransom we'd have to pay for him.

This.

If it was 2 years ago I would have said go after him, but we don't need him with the... well everything that is quoted up there.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs dont need him.. THEY NEED RP

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
NO!!!!!!!!! There SP has been one of the best in the league, he has not been healthy, too old and makes to much money. They need RP right now more than anything. As the looks of it, the Cubs are tying to get more younger and to me is the right move.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
His 3 destinations i heard where Boston, yankees, and Philly.

CubbieBlue

Go Cubs Go!
Liked Posts:
I could see Boston taken him. The Yankees and Phillies not so much.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
It might have... The report I heard said "Oswalt wants a trade, preferabley to the Red Sox, Yankees, and Phillies."

Savoir_Faire_18

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Love the trend: When players are reaching the end of their career and don't have a ring... push for the Yanks or the Red Sox.

Big Z

Byrd is the Word!
Liked Posts:
I think he's been linked with quite a few clubs. Can't blame him, he's good enough to win a ring and he knows he won't get that in Houston. Both the Red Sox and Yankees could do with him and they can both probably afford him.

TheDude13

Liked Posts:
It's the same type of situation that the bears are in. While you have a chance to add quality veteran players(like Oswalt, or in the Bears case a receiver or OJ Atogwe at safety) all it will result in is burying young talent on the roster. Several people have mentioned the current depth the Cubs possess on the ML roster as well as in the minors. Adding somebody like Oswalt would add another experienced pitcher, but then it stalls the development of those who were close to getting a shot.