To Learn The League...

Jysen

I Want To Believe...
Donator
Liked Posts:
So its quite obvious I have virtually no knowledge to our Team nor the League. Player names are random words to me lol. Hell I dont even know how many teams there are! I could ask in the Gaming Thread, but here its obviously the best option for best results. Is there any games out on the market with current rosters? Madden had the ability to get me familar with everyone years ago after I neglected to pay attention, no reason it wouldnt work with soccer. Any recommended sites or official Fire website?

Pedro

Liked Posts:
Here's a great Fire site: Fire Confidential | ChicagoNow

And if you want great game I would get FIFA 11, probably the best sports video-game out there and they update their roster until the season ends.

Jysen

I Want To Believe...
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ah that explains it better with the game being FIFA. With so much info tossed out there, wasnt even sure Fire was FIFA or if there was other leagues, or like in a sense a Minor League to FIFA. So much shit to learn lol. Sooo, the World Cup is comprised of FIFA players that play for their respected country. Now I cant recall his damn name lol, was it Beck? Signed with the LA Galaxies but played for England in the WC. Finally, does the Teams here face others in other countries? Or is that exclusive to the WC?

giaco

Liked Posts:
FIFA is the world's governing body over all leagues that are affilliated. Below that are regional governing bodies--the US belongs to CONCACAF, which stands for "Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football". These regional bodies run tournaments at both club and country level--to determine the best club team in CONCACAF there is the CONCACAF Champions League. However, to determine the best country in that region, there is the Gold Cup. Each region had their own version, and each region determines how often these tournaments are held.

Below that there are individual leagues in every country--some have multiple levels; i.e. a major league and perhaps several minor leagues. There are a few inter-continental or inter-league tournaments (The Champions League, Club World Cup, Cop Libertadores, CONCACAF Champions League, etc).

With regards to MLS, in particular, there are currently 18 teams (2 will be new to MLS in 2011, but both have been in existence in a 'lower' league prior). Unlike most all other countries, MLS favours a 'conference' approach, rather than a single table--it seems to be an easier way for many ill-informed sports fans in the US to understand soccer better, but it is revolting to purists who feel there should only be a single table. This is mainly due to the fact that the conference system lends itself to play-offs, which is not common (as we understand it) in most other leagues. The simple fact in most other places is that if your club finishes the season with the most amount of points (from wins and ties), your team is the champion. There is no real winner take-all scenario.

Back on track though--check out the MLS website to see what teams are in the Eastern and Western conferences, and it all may make a bit more sense. Also, at present, there is no system of promotion and relegation in MLS as there is in other countries' leagues. Think about how interesting it would be if the teams that finished worst in the league during a season (maybe even the bottom three), get relegated to playing in a lower division until they can earn promotion back to the top flight. I'm not fully versed in baseball, but perhaps that would be the most comprehensible American version of this--the Cubs finish dead last in the entire league....well, next season they play in AAA. Whatever AAA team won their league gets promoted. It always continues like this. I hope that makes some sense.

I'm headed out for the night now, but I can write more later, if you've followed and/or are interested in knowing more. Mind you though, you can do plenty of research on your own even based on what I've just talked about. But let me know if there are specific questions and I will do my best to answer them.

As for the Fire though, Fire confidential is probably the most knowledgeable and accurate site--Guillermo, the guy who runs it is good people and will answer questions as best he can.

Setion 8 Chicago's forums are also a good resource, but you'll have to put up with folks like me all the time....not picnic.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Ah that explains it better with the game being FIFA. With so much info tossed out there, wasnt even sure Fire was FIFA or if there was other leagues, or like in a sense a Minor League to FIFA. So much shit to learn lol. Sooo, the World Cup is comprised of FIFA players that play for their respected country. Now I cant recall his damn name lol, was it Beck? Signed with the LA Galaxies but played for England in the WC. Finally, does the Teams here face others in other countries? Or is that exclusive to the WC?

David Beckham sign with the Galaxy

Fire play in Major League Soccer

Jysen

I Want To Believe...
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ack, Beckham! I was half right with my memory lol.

Jysen

I Want To Believe...
Donator
Liked Posts:
And holy shit giaco! Thats gotta be one of the best explanations of all time bro lol. And yes, that made perfect sense. Perhaps the conference style is largely based on our other sports with a similar system. The logic to make it seem familar is understandable, and if it caught on, a money maker out here. But I can appreciate a purists objection too. I myself would scoff at such a notion. But I did appreciate the explanation and got the grasp of it quite well now.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
And holy shit giaco! Thats gotta be one of the best explanations of all time bro lol. And yes, that made perfect sense. Perhaps the conference style is largely based on our other sports with a similar system. The logic to make it seem familar is understandable, and if it caught on, a money maker out here. But I can appreciate a purists objection too. I myself would scoff at such a notion. But I did appreciate the explanation and got the grasp of it quite well now.

Giaco knows his soccer.

giaco

Liked Posts:
let me know if there is anything else you need, more than happy to discuss/explain for those who are willing to listen.

Jysen

I Want To Believe...
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ok... Since its based on a Conference system vs the Table, does this version rely on a point system or a win/loss system? Or it is a hybrid? Either way, what are the respected points? And how many games do they play?

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Ok... Since its based on a Conference system vs the Table, does this version rely on a point system or a win/loss system? Or it is a hybrid? Either way, what are the respected points? And how many games do they play?

They are having realignment this year, BTW. I'll let giaco explain when he gets back from the Riot game.

Riot: Official Site of the Chicago Riot : News

tonyni

Liked Posts:

It is still based on a point system with two conferences, east and west. 3 for a win, 1 for a tie, 0 for a loss. Each team plays every other team in the league twice (regardless of conference), one home game, one away game. With 18 teams in the league, that leads to a 34 game schedule.

If the playoff format is the same as last year (its always changing), then the top two teams from each conference qualify for the playoffs, and then the next four teams with the most points after that, regardless of conference, qualify as wild card teams (so you can have a team from the west become the eastern conference champions as has happened the past two years with Colorado and Salt lake, or vice versa, happening the year before that with New York winning the western conference).

giaco

Liked Posts:
MLS playoffs are part of the real payout as far as why there are conferences (although playoffs could just as easily happen in a single table format. As it stands, the top 2 teams in each conference gets into the playoffs. After that, it is all about point total. The embarrassing part of it all is that if teams 5-8 (due to point total) are in another conference, they will be spread out into both brackets.

I.E. New York circa 2008 winning the Western Conference and RSL circa 2009 winning the East...... IMHO, not very sensible and it lends credence to a single table solution.

tonyni

Liked Posts:
I see you didn't read a word of my post, giaco.

giaco

Liked Posts:
huh?

you said something? :p

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Dynamo to Eastern Conference.

Jysen

I Want To Believe...
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ok, that is gotta be the worst system Ive ever heard lol. Whats the point in a Western and Eastern Conference if it eventually doesnt matter, especially when everyone plays everybody twice? I can really see why any purist is pissed off. If they want to add playoffs, then it should be the top 3 pointed Teams in the respected Conference. There is no point in a Conference with this current system. So, any infamous Rival(s) to the Fire?

giaco

Liked Posts:
Oh, it may be of interest to know that there used to be 3 conferences, but they did away with that to keep 'balanced' conferences as the league started growing out West more.

Speaking on that very point, Chicago Fire and Dalls Burn (now FC Dallas) had a VERY physical and intense rivalry--you could tell on the field that there was ALWAYS bad blood. Many of the old timers can tell you about broken bones, kicks to the balls, punches, lots of red cards and a rivalry that stemmed from playing each other 8 times in one year! The supporters of both clubs came up with a rivalry cup--The Brimstone Cup(which the Fire hasn't won back since year 1 of it).

Our closest geographic/traditional rival is Columbus--the matches have always been competitive, the midwest thing is in effect, the supporters won't even speak to one another on purpose, and we always bring a few hundred (up to 1,000) folks out there. They've recently started bringing a hundred or two to Toyota Park.

For many though, our most recent rival that has really brewed outright hatred on mention of the name has been the New England Revolution. This is due to the fact that the games have been heated, we've frequently knocked one another out of the playoffs--currently we are the 2 teams that have met the most frequently in MLS playoff history.

There are a few others--although some are fan rivalry more than team rivalries, and many vary in degree. That being said, Chicago is for haters, and if it ain't Chicago, we hate'm.

Conversly though, while the onfield chapter is about to begin between Chicago and Portland, the supporters of Section 8 Chicago and Timber's Army (Portland's largest supporters section) have a standing alliance. In fact, many of our first capos that were not from Poland went to Portland to learn some of their methods. There are other reasons for the alliance though, but again, that is a subject in and of itself.

Chi-Fire

#1 Fire Fan
Liked Posts:
ur rite fifa 11 is the best fifa they've made so far the game is amazing
im playing it rite now so if u have xbox live send me a friend request my names ballsofgaming