Bring up the Youngsters...

WCulbertson

Grammer Po-Po
Liked Posts:
Hey Waldo. I agree with you but the Cubs really aren't in a position to do that.

1. They are only 4.0 games out of 1st and it's not even June, so that would send the message that they aren't serious about winning.

2. The roster/payroll. The players we want to replace or should be replaced with youngsters (GraBLOW, The Aviator (Howry), Ramirez, Zambrano, etc...) They are all older players with big contracts (minus Homerun Howry) that would be hard for Ricketts to just dump.

Just out of curiosity, who do you want to bring up? - I'm just wondering because I'm working on a piece for our homepage on some of our minor league prospects.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was talking about bring up youngsters for the bullpen. The Cubs are only 4 games out but the bullpen will hold the Cubs back and Jay Jackson and Andrew Cashner should be the first to get called up but will they put them in the bullpen. That is the only wuestion. Jackson and Cashner are tearing up triple A pretty much and I think will pitch good in the bullpen and it will also be an upgrade over Grabow and Howry.

Right now, those are the only 2 I would like the Cubs to give a shot to and if that was to happen which it won't and Stevens struggles, send him down and call up Coleman who is also pitching pretty good for Triple A.

There is no need to bring up an postion prospects besides Tracy who is not a spect. There is just no room.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Jackson is now in the AAA pen, no longer starting, so looks like he's coming up soon. Then I'd also call up Diamond.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
I have seen Jackson in the Triple A pen and he will come up in the recent weeks I would think and Diamong also. I did not put Diamong in there because I don't think he is a spect anymore but to me he pitch good enough out of spring training to make the team. They need to find a space for cahner which is going to be hard.

WCulbertson

Grammer Po-Po
Liked Posts:
I'll be really mad if they bring up Cashner and put him in the 'pen. They've groomed him to be a starter (a really really GOOD) starter too. I don't want to see Jeff Samardzija pt 2. I know Cashner is better than Shark but still, you can't argue that the bullpen-rotation-bullpen merry go round they put him through didn't hold him back.

Jay Jackson is in the 'pen in AAA now, so if he adjusts I wouldn't mind seeing him in Chicago. But I was kind of hoping him and Cashner both would anchor our rotation for years to come.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Maybe they will, Jackson can change back, he could be like Dempster.

CubbieBlue

Go Cubs Go!
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't mind seeing Jackson and Diamond called up if we dumped a couple of deadweight pitchers at the deadline. I just don't want to throw them to the fire in the middle of a pennant race.

JCM

CCS Mod
Liked Posts:
what about cashner?

He should be the next one to be called up right?

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
no, want him to be a starter.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cashner is dominating as a starter. Leave him there. Jackson is doing well in the 'pen at AAA and has electric stuff. I'd bring Jackson up and leave Cashner alone.

WCulbertson

Grammer Po-Po
Liked Posts:
Yeah that seems to be the consensus. It's refreshing to have some nice prospects for a change.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah were not use too, wanting to call up prospects this bad. It kind of feels good.

CarlosSilva

Liked Posts:
I think it would be very hard to groom Jackson to pitch in the pen, then back to the rotation. Chris Carpenter and Andrew Cashner should head there rotation in a couple years.